• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

5 Shot After Chicago High School Basketball Game

MetalChris

imported post

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933...hot After Chicago High School Basketball Gamehttp://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,478985,00.html

CHICAGO — Five people were shot as spectators left a crowded high school basketball game Friday in what police called a possibly gang-related drive-by attack that sent panicked students running into a snowy street on the city's South Side.

Five males — three in serious condition and two in critical — were taken from Paul Laurence Dunbar Vocational Career Academy around 8 p.m., said Chicago Fire Department spokeswoman Eve Rodriguez. Hospital spokespeople said later that at least three were expected to be treated and released.
"It was crazy. It was like killers on the loose," said Joshua Glaze, 15, a freshman at the school.
The game was in overtime and some students began to leave the building, Glaze said.
A vehicle then drove up and a person or people inside started shooting into the crowd, said Chicago Police Superintendent Jody Weis.
No suspect has been identified or arrested, but the shooting was "isolated" and possibly gang-related, Weis said. Two hundred officers were in the area looking for suspects, he said.
Dunbar freshman Shaneisha Turman, 15, said she saw a silver truck pull up to a bus stop outside the school. People inside the truck pretended to fire a gun and then "they really started shooting," she told the Chicago Tribune.
People were shouting, "'They're shooting!"' Turman said. "It was a lot of people shouting and running."
Police blocked access to streets at least two blocks from the high school to make way for ambulances and police cars.
Andres Durbak, director of the city schools' Office of Safety and Security, said video taken in and around the school has been handed over to police.
"This is a tragedy," Durbak said.
Police spokeswoman Monique Bond declined to characterize the victims beyond gender and would not say whether they had attended the basketball game. She added that they were "not necessarily students."
The high school has about 1,600 students and is the alma mater of Oscar-winning actress Jennifer Hudson.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

MetalChris wrote:
Police spokeswoman Monique Bond declined to characterize the victims beyond gender and would not say whether they had attended the basketball game. She added that they were "not necessarily students."

Does anyone see political correctness taking over in this statement? What if I'm in Chicago and I should be on the lookout for a silver truck with several Asian men or kids in it opening fire on anyone they see because they're on a dare from their gang? My point is that the description is necessary for the people of the community to know who is out there shooting, andmight help someone who knows them turn them in. Chicago sucks!

edited for grammar

Gordie

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
The high school has about 1,600 students and is the alma mater of Oscar-winning actress Jennifer Hudson.

And what the hell does this have to do with anything? Who cares?
They're trying to make it sound like a more respectable place by attaching celebrity to it.I am not personally familiar with this area, it may be quite nice, but it sounds like the gangsare running things there now, or trying to take over. Not all celebrities come from Paris Hilton's background, some come from some real s$#@ holes.

MetalChris

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
And what the hell does this have to do with anything? Who cares?
Jennifer Hudson's family was murdered not too long ago. Hudson was a contestant on American Idol a few seasons back...didn't win but came pretty close. She's one of those celebs that Gordie is referring to that had humble beginnings, to say the least.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Never happened unless gov't agents did the shooting ... guns are virtually banned in Chicago except for gov't and its agents. :quirky
I think the Brady Bunch is behind this. So they can illustrate the need for more stringent gun laws. "If we can just pass enough gun laws, gun crimes will no longer occur."

Huck

imported post

cccook wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Never happened unless gov't agents did the shooting ... guns are virtually banned in Chicago except for gov't and its agents. :quirky
I think the Brady Bunch is behind this. So they can illustrate the need for more stringent gun laws. "If we can just pass enough gun laws, gun crimes will no longer occur."

There's no such thing as "gun crimes" sinceonly people commitcrimes.

III

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

I know exactly where this is: 3000 South Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive. It is near the site of the annual Bud Billiken Parade. My Father (rest his soul) graduated from this school when it was called Dunbar Vocational High School.

This neighborhood is just like any other South-side neighborhood.......rough as hell!! When I go home, all I do is pray that nothing crazy happens while I am there. It amazes me that the Mayor really believes that the gun ban will stand when he has nothing that can prove a gun crime will not happen since guns have been banned since 1982. What a joke!!

2nd Amendment........Use it.........Or, lose it!!:X

Taurus850CIA

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
MetalChris wrote:

Does anyone see political correctness taking over in this statement? What if I'm in Chicago and I should be on the lookout for a silver truck with several Asian men or kids in it opening fire on anyone they see because they're on a dare from their gang? My point is that the description is necessary for the people of the community to know who is out there shooting, andmight help someone who knows them turn them in. Chicago sucks!

edited for grammar
This is how I read it, .40 Cal