• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ATF internet access?

Legba

imported post

I just tried to bring up an oldbookmark for the ATF (www.atf.treas.gov) and got this message:
  • Access Denied by security policy
The security policy for your network prevents your request from being allowed at this time. Please contact your administrator if you feel this is incorrect.

This link works: www.atf.gov and appears to be the identical content. Wazzup wit dat?

-ljp

DocV

imported post

It's a dead link because of a different domain. The ATF is no longer under Treasury (.treas). It was transferred to the Dept. of Justice

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.atf.gov/
Purchasing a gun for someone who is prohibited by law from possessing one, or for someone who does not want his or her name associated with the transaction, is a “straw purchase,” a Federal crime punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.
I am glad that I have the guns that I do. Suckin' BATFAgs

r6-rider

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Purchasing a gun for someone who is prohibited by law from possessing one, or for someone who does not want his or her name associated with the transaction, is a “straw purchase,” a Federal crime punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.
i always wondered about that law. say an 18 yr old and a 21 yr old both walk into a gun store, 21 yr old is buying gun for 18 yr old and the FFL knows it. would it be legal for him to sell it to the 21 yr old knowing its going to get passed down. even if the 18 yr old is NOT prohibited

Legba

imported post

Yeah, it's a dead link because of the restructuring of the agency as law enforcement under DHS and not tax collectors under Treasury, but I thought the wording of the denial was odd - makes it sound like I tried to hack into something secure. And what would my network have to do with it? That'd be the Treasury's servers denying access. Still seems a bit odd. Thay can't just link the site without oblique warnings?

As for your hypothetical transfer, the 21 y/o can buy a gun himself and later gift it to a non-prohibited person and be legal. However, if 2 people walk into a gun shop and one is acting as a proxy for another - legally or not - we have to assume it's a shady deal and deny it as a "straw purchase." ATF would consider facilitating such a transfer as a willful violation of regulations/law and the dealer would be screwed, even if both customers were otherwise legal. Quite a tightrope to walk, eh? We have to infer motives of people giving guns away.

-ljp

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

r6-rider wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
i always wondered about that law. say an 18 yr old and a 21 yr old both walk into a gun store, 21 yr old is buying gun for 18 yr old and the FFL knows it. would it be legal for him to sell it to the 21 yr old knowing its going to get passed down. even if the 18 yr old is NOT prohibited
Most of the FFLs that I know would not sell under those conditions. If they know the weapon was to be immediately handed off to another individual who was present at the time of original sale, they would want to do the sale to the person ultimately receiving the weapon.

In a way this law could also be construed to prohibit gifting.

Suppose you bought a firearm for a friend who is in every respect able to buy and possess firearms, and you want to buy him/her a handgun for a birthday present. Under this law you would have to show that your friend did not care if their name was associated with the purchase.

It is crazy!The BATF is a waste of my time and mytax money.:banghead:

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

In your example, the 18 yr old would have to be the one to fill out the paperwork or they could not sell you the gun. You can pay for it, but the only LEGAL way to buy a gun as a gift is to either get the individual a gift certificate or pay for it then have THEM fill out the paperwork and pick it up THEMSELVES.

r6-rider

imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
In your example, the 18 yr old would have to be the one to fill out the paperwork or they could not sell you the gun. You can pay for it, but the only LEGAL way to buy a gun as a gift is to either get the individual a gift certificate or pay for it then have THEM fill out the paperwork and pick it up THEMSELVES.
then technically, wouldnt they be buying it if the 18 year old is filling out the paperwork? id hate to walk into a dealer and try this just to get turned away and never allowed back

zoom6zoom

imported post

They should have had to make the domain batfe.gov, not promote themselves to a TLA (Three Letter Agency). It really irks them when they have to use all five letters.

Flyer22

imported post

It's been several years since I've bought a gun from a dealer, so I don't remember all the details. But I wonder how somebody who can't legally buy from a dealer because of age could fill out the paperwork.