• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cost of CPL Michigan

What should the cost of a Michigan CPL license be?

• Free

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $10.00

• $20.00

• $30.00

• $100.00

• $150.00+

• Total voters

LaVere

imported post

Does the cost of getting a CPL in Michigan prohibit anyone from getting a license?
What do you think it should be. Training ________ License _______?

Should the License be free? We already pay all kinds of taxes. Why isn't that included in our rights of general taxes?

Could it be based on needs or ability to pay?

LaVere

imported post

dougwg wrote:
You've fallen into their trap!

THERE SHOULD BE NO CPL's

Carry, however you choose, should be legal!

Sorry if I poo poo'd your poll
I agree with you and you didn't poo poo my poll.
I should have add no cpl at all

Start another poll
Should we have a CPL?
or Carry, however you choose, should be legal!

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Well I voted...... free

and on the other $50 or LESS ($0)

I don't think we need a Poll to figure out that the people here will agree that the notion of a CPL is wrong and we shouldn't even have them.

:)

Hcidem

imported post

I agree with dougwgon this. A part of me desires to never obtain one to demonstrate my understanding that it is unconstitutional (I am scheduled to take the course anyway).

Charging anything for the license is cost prohibitive to the poor. It is similar to the old "Jim Crow" laws, but is applied to those who cannot afford an additional $105 plus time involved rather than to black Americans.

HPC9

imported post

Hcidem wrote:
I agree with dougwgon this. A part of me desires to never obtain one to demonstrate my understanding that it is unconstitutional (I am scheduled to take the course anyway).

Charging anything for the license is cost prohibitive to the poor. It is similar to the old "Jim Crow" laws, but is applied to those who cannot afford an additional $105 plus time involved rather than to black Americans.
I agree also. The only reason I want one is so I can play by the rules while we work to get the laws changed to something more in line with "shall not be infringed"

Don't get me started on cost prohibitive to the poor. I can't afford anything extra right now. I had to sell some of my stuff to afford a pistol and I'm trying to sell more to get money for my CPL. :(

Darth AkSarBen

imported post

I too, am one that believes that it should be like Vermont. If you have purchased a pistol, it's none of our business how you wish to carry it.

To charge for the license is a hindrance on the poor. I put it off for several years because every time I started to take the course for the certification, I would think " I really could do this or that with the $100.00." And so I put it off for several years. It shouldn't be that way. Trainers should be paid, but they should submit verifications and papers to the State that they trained X number of people on this date, and names, addresses of such, and that they passed the course. THEN, get reimbursed by the state for providing handgun training to the individual citizens. Who wants to write up a legislative bill to that effect? It should be so.

I think the cost of the license should be free, and the training free if the State requires it. Else it's a class action suit of discrimination against the poor of this State for denying them their civil liberties.

The State of Michigan could not spend better money than to educate and arm the law abiding citizens of the State, to further their own Constitutional wording that every person has the right to arm themselves in protection of themselves and the State (meaning other MI citizens).

Hcidem

imported post

I think you've hit it on the head, Darth AkSarBen. This would be the associated cost of maintaining what otherwise might be known as a "well regulated militia." If you want the training, it would be given freely.

Tucker6900

imported post

Darth AkSarBen wrote:
To charge for the license is a hindrance on the poor. I put it off for several years because every time I started to take the course for the certification, I would think " I really could do this or that with the $100.00." And so I put it off for several years.

Same here. Everytime I saved the money to take the course, I ended up spending it somewhere it was needed more. I think I waited 3 years before I took my training, and then about another year before actually having the money to apply.

As for the poll, I voted free, like others, becuase that was as close as to the "shouldnt be required" answer that Im looking for. If I had the money for a super lawyer and to miss lots of work, I would carry everywhere I went, and then fight it to the top if arrested for it. That may sound extreme, but imagine what that would do for the cause if someone won a case like that.

conservative85

imported post

I don't need a permit to preach, or practice religion, nor do I need to take an 8 hour a class to speak, or assemble peaceably. The only cost associated with these rights is responsibility!

steve

imported post

I also have yet to take my classes due to funding :(

I have 3 kids and a wife to protect i shouldn't need to pay somebody to ensure their safety and my own while we are out and about.

taxwhat

imported post

OK You want to make CPL instructors [the one over charging ] start cry to everyone ! I will teach for cost plus [ If moc gets there 501c status ] $100 donation to MOC ! NO short Cuts , NO one day ,Costs are about $25.oo Plus ammo ,hearing ,eye and room to teach and range time.And if I travel food fuel hotel .This offer good soon as wife is ok after her next surgery [ breast cancer ] ps maybe a small donation to medical Charity of shooters chose ,plus some prayers for all .

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When I was in Middle school (wasn't THAT long ago... I'm 22), We had a DNR officer come in and teach our entire Phys.Ed. Class boaters safety. It lasted a week long, and at the end of the week, we had our boater's safety certificates, meaning we could legally drive ANY boat type, including PWCs and full-blown yachts. This, after not even SITTING in a boat (but that's another story).

Why can't state-paid employees come in during high-school to teach a Phys.Ed. class responsible gun handling, and you'll have walked out with a certificate making you eligible to conceal a handgun?

taxwhat

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
When I was in Middle school (wasn't THAT long ago... I'm 22), We had a DNR officer come in and teach our entire Phys.Ed. Class boaters safety. It lasted a week long, and at the end of the week, we had our boater's safety certificates, meaning we could legally drive ANY boat type, including PWCs and full-blown yachts. This, after not even SITTING in a boat (but that's another story).

Why can't state-paid employees come in during high-school to teach a Phys.Ed. class responsible gun handling, and you'll have walked out with a certificate making you eligible to conceal a handgun?
That is a very good question . Remember they [ Government ,PACs and others ] do NOT want YOU too ! Not with out [TAX ,regulation ,control ] . The voters have allowed it { even the ones that did not vote ]. Have you ever heard of "not in my back yard "? Most are complacent until !