• I keep my daily carry piece by my bedside

24 35.29%
  • I keep a handgun other than my daily carry by the bedside

8 11.76%
  • I keep a shotgun handy by the bedside

3 4.41%
  • I keep a rifle handy by the bedside

0 0%
  • I don't keep a loaded gun for night use I have a non-leathal ______ (bat, club, tazer, etc)

0 0%
  • I just keep a phone handy to call the police

0 0%
  • My house has an alarm, I do not need any weapons

0 0%
  • I keep different weapons hidden all over my house not just by the bed

18 26.47%
  • I have a protection firearm but I keep it unloaded/locked

0 0%
  • I use a mixture of things in the list or my situation is not listed above

15 22.06%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you keep beside your bed at night

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

This thread concerning a man confronting an intruder in his home in the middle of the night got me curious as to what most people keep handy at NIGHT to defend their home and family.

Most of us carry something during the day, and many keep that same carry piece handy at night as well, but many others do something different at night.

There is a lot of divergent thinking in this area as to what is the best approach. Take the pole and let people know your thoughts on NIGHT time protections and why you do what you do.

"Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

I don't keep anything by my bedside (little kids) but I keep my 870 and XD-45 loaded and in the closet well out of reach of little hands, and I've got another gun hidden somewhere else, and loaded mags placed in strategic places throughout the house.

Post imported post

I lost all of my firearms in a tragic boating accident... I am completely defenseless...
    :shock:

Post imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
    I lost all of my firearms in a tragic boating accident... I am completely defenseless...:shock:
    It's all good...the cops'll take care of ya.

Post imported post

I keep various weapons around in the house. I always keep my pistol at my bedside. I keep my 12 ga. close by as well. I prefer it for inside home defense over anything else.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Bedside is my CCW H&K because it is DA/SA and simpler to operate while stupid-sleepy, pick it up and shoot. Also is my LTL 5-cell maglight and cellphone. The EBR 870 is in the closet just outside the BR, convenient for grabbing on the way out.

Daily open carry is the SA1911.

mdgary

Post imported post

I keep a S&W M&P.40 with two fifteen round mags on a dresser by my bed that my children can not reach, Also a S&W M&P 9c carry gun in the kitchen with four mags handy.

Banned

Post imported post

Post imported post

Multiple items for me:
    Alarm system
    Cell Phone
    Daily carry beside bed
    High power flash light

Post imported post

PaulBlart wrote:
    god bless you, hero.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

PaulBlart wrote:
    SNIP (photo)
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Our 3 dogs adding up to 240+ lbs of mobile motion and sound detecting generally sleep around the bed, one on each side and one at the foot. Within a few steps of the bed when my wife and I are both home (we have no kids in the house) typically are 2 fully loaded pistols, each with 3 extra loaded mags near them and a Mossy 500 with 7 rds of 00 Buck, or at least that would have been typical before last summer's tragic boating accident.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

All kinda things in my cabin especially a super wired Jack Russell.

The warm glow of night sights on my Glock 21, within arms reach allow me to imbrace Morpheus in peace and tranquility each and every night.

Post imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
    All kinda things in my cabin especially a super wired Jack Russell.

The warm glow of night sights on my Glock 21, within arms reach allow me to imbrace Morpheus in peace and tranquility each and every night.
    A Chihuaua for detection, a beagle for volume, after that God only knows what will fly through the house.. That said, and after a couple of conversations with Mitch, I pitty anyone that breaches his perimeter uninvitedand unrecognized

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I keep a 9mm AR15 carbine next to mine. Various others around the house.

Post imported post

I notice nobody picked rifle, yet. Before I owned a pistol I had only a rifle, so that was it. That was all before my boating accident, of course.

I just watched the new Clint Eastwood movie "Gran Torino", and he pays an old Korean War vet widower living in Michigan. Early in the film he wakes up tot he sound of somebody in the garage trying to steal his car. He pulls out his M1 and loads an 8rd clip with dramatic flare and heads off to war. Since he carries an M1911A1 thorughout the film, we may reasonably suspect that he keeps it near his bedside loaded, and the rifle is for when he has time to get ready for trouble. Clint Eastwood still rocks his scary Dirty Harry face in this film. Too cool.

Post imported post

1) I keep my daily carry piece(s) by my bedside.

3) I keep a shotgun handy by the bedside.

=>

10) I use a mixture of the things in the list.

Nothing beats heavy birdshot (like No4 or No6) for home defense. It punches huge holes in intruders at close range, does a bang-up job of clearing rooms and hallways, and has very little lethal risk of overpenetration into walls of other rooms (or other apartments.) That's why I keep a 12 ga handy.

I also sleep right next to my daily carry gun(s).

A flashlight (or weapon-light) is always handy too.

Post imported post

Don't laugh, but my local PD rides one of them there POLICE Segways during events around here... sigh..

Oh, and I sleep with my head on my favorite .45 and 2 strategically placed custom built 12 ga singles. Well, if I owned any guns and knew where to place them and all.

J

Post imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
    I lost all of my firearms in a tragic boating accident... I am completely defenseless...
    :shock:
    What a Coincidence, the same thing happened to me.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

1. A female chocalate lab who will bark when somebody sets foot on the property.

2. An alarm system.

3. XD45 on the night stand.

4. A Mossberg 12gain the walk in closet for the wife to retreat to. (Yes, we have a practiced and have a code word, when the all clear is sounded.)

Post imported post

Tomahawk, a rifle is a pretty poor choice for defense inside the home. However you did say that's all you had, so in that case it's perfect.

I keep my Glock 26 with Big Dot's in a gunvault beside my bed with and extra mag inside.

"A Chihuahua for detection"

I think I'd be to likely to shoot the dog. I can't stand their high pitched "barks". However, it would do an excellent job waking you up.

Post imported post

My side of the bed I keep a BR vest stocked w/ holstered handgun (not my carry gun), cellphone, flashlight, I also keep a set of electronic muffs and rifle at the ready.

The wife has a handgun (in a SH), S/A shotgun and a cell phone, her job is to set up with the kids.

Motion detectors and adog, I'm also able to turn on the downstairs lights from upstairs.

Edit:

Remember handguns are underpowered weapons we carry because they are convenient.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Banned

Post imported post

For everyone that has weapons scattered around the house, especially in obvious places like a front closet... have you ever considered that someone breaking in might get to them before you do? Why arm your home intruders?

Post imported post

IMHO,a rifle is a pretty poor choice for defense inside the home.
    However if that's all you have, it's perfect.

Here,I fixed it for you.

[line]

A LG is only a poor choice if you're going to do room clearing (IMHO).
    Bullet selection is the key, a rifle will give you more stopping power even with lite weight frangible bullets and possibly increased magazine capacity.

Edit:
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1.htm

Remember, when things go bump in the night you're expecting a fight.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Agent 19, I had it right, thanks for trying though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast