• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do you keep beside your bed at night

What home protection do have handy at NIGHT

• I keep my daily carry piece by my bedside

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I keep a handgun other than my daily carry by the bedside

• I keep a shotgun handy by the bedside

• I keep a rifle handy by the bedside

• I don't keep a loaded gun for night use I have a non-leathal ______ (bat, club, tazer, etc)

• I just keep a phone handy to call the police

• My house has an alarm, I do not need any weapons

• I keep different weapons hidden all over my house not just by the bed

• I have a protection firearm but I keep it unloaded/locked

• I use a mixture of things in the list or my situation is not listed above

• Total voters

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This thread concerning a man confronting an intruder in his home in the middle of the night got me curious as to what most people keep handy at NIGHT to defend their home and family.

Most of us carry something during the day, and many keep that same carry piece handy at night as well, but many others do something different at night.

There is a lot of divergent thinking in this area as to what is the best approach. Take the pole and let people know your thoughts on NIGHT time protections and why you do what you do.

MetalChris

imported post

I don't keep anything by my bedside (little kids) but I keep my 870 and XD-45 loaded and in the closet well out of reach of little hands, and I've got another gun hidden somewhere else, and loaded mags placed in strategic places throughout the house.

MetalChris

imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
I lost all of my firearms in a tragic boating accident... I am completely defenseless...:shock:
It's all good...the cops'll take care of ya.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Bedside is my CCW H&K because it is DA/SA and simpler to operate while stupid-sleepy, pick it up and shoot. Also is my LTL 5-cell maglight and cellphone. The EBR 870 is in the closet just outside the BR, convenient for grabbing on the way out.

Daily open carry is the SA1911.

M

mdgary

imported post

I keep a S&W M&P.40 with two fifteen round mags on a dresser by my bed that my children can not reach, Also a S&W M&P 9c carry gun in the kitchen with four mags handy.

PaulBlart

Banned
imported post

SegwayI2Policesegway%20i2police_b.jpg

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Our 3 dogs adding up to 240+ lbs of mobile motion and sound detecting generally sleep around the bed, one on each side and one at the foot. Within a few steps of the bed when my wife and I are both home (we have no kids in the house) typically are 2 fully loaded pistols, each with 3 extra loaded mags near them and a Mossy 500 with 7 rds of 00 Buck, or at least that would have been typical before last summer's tragic boating accident.

TheMrMitch

imported post

All kinda things in my cabin especially a super wired Jack Russell.

The warm glow of night sights on my Glock 21, within arms reach allow me to imbrace Morpheus in peace and tranquility each and every night.:D

Carnivore

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
All kinda things in my cabin especially a super wired Jack Russell.

The warm glow of night sights on my Glock 21, within arms reach allow me to imbrace Morpheus in peace and tranquility each and every night.:D
A Chihuaua for detection, a beagle for volume, after that God only knows what will fly through the house.. That said, and after a couple of conversations with Mitch, I pitty anyone that breaches his perimeter uninvitedand unrecognized:lol:

Tomahawk

imported post

I notice nobody picked rifle, yet. Before I owned a pistol I had only a rifle, so that was it. That was all before my boating accident, of course.

I just watched the new Clint Eastwood movie "Gran Torino", and he pays an old Korean War vet widower living in Michigan. Early in the film he wakes up tot he sound of somebody in the garage trying to steal his car. He pulls out his M1 and loads an 8rd clip with dramatic flare and heads off to war. Since he carries an M1911A1 thorughout the film, we may reasonably suspect that he keeps it near his bedside loaded, and the rifle is for when he has time to get ready for trouble. Clint Eastwood still rocks his scary Dirty Harry face in this film. Too cool.

shad0wfax

imported post

1) I keep my daily carry piece(s) by my bedside.

3) I keep a shotgun handy by the bedside.

=>

10) I use a mixture of the things in the list.

Nothing beats heavy birdshot (like No4 or No6) for home defense. It punches huge holes in intruders at close range, does a bang-up job of clearing rooms and hallways, and has very little lethal risk of overpenetration into walls of other rooms (or other apartments.) That's why I keep a 12 ga handy.

I also sleep right next to my daily carry gun(s).

A flashlight (or weapon-light) is always handy too.

JBURGII

imported post

Don't laugh, but my local PD rides one of them there POLICE Segways during events around here... sigh..

Oh, and I sleep with my head on my favorite .45 and 2 strategically placed custom built 12 ga singles. Well, if I owned any guns and knew where to place them and all.

J

xd45_in_TX

Founder's Club Member
imported post

1. A female chocalate lab who will bark when somebody sets foot on the property.

2. An alarm system.

3. XD45 on the night stand.

4. A Mossberg 12gain the walk in closet for the wife to retreat to. (Yes, we have a practiced and have a code word, when the all clear is sounded.)