• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do you keep beside your bed at night

What home protection do have handy at NIGHT

• I keep my daily carry piece by my bedside

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I keep a handgun other than my daily carry by the bedside

• I keep a shotgun handy by the bedside

• I keep a rifle handy by the bedside

• I don't keep a loaded gun for night use I have a non-leathal ______ (bat, club, tazer, etc)

• I just keep a phone handy to call the police

• My house has an alarm, I do not need any weapons

• I keep different weapons hidden all over my house not just by the bed

• I have a protection firearm but I keep it unloaded/locked

• I use a mixture of things in the list or my situation is not listed above

• Total voters

bordsnbikes

imported post

Tomahawk, a rifle is a pretty poor choice for defense inside the home. However you did say that's all you had, so in that case it's perfect.

I keep my Glock 26 with Big Dot's in a gunvault beside my bed with and extra mag inside.

"A Chihuahua for detection"

I think I'd be to likely to shoot the dog. I can't stand their high pitched "barks". However, it would do an excellent job waking you up.

Marco

imported post

My side of the bed I keep a BR vest stocked w/ holstered handgun (not my carry gun), cellphone, flashlight, I also keep a set of electronic muffs and rifle at the ready.

The wife has a handgun (in a SH), S/A shotgun and a cell phone, her job is to set up with the kids.

Motion detectors and adog, I'm also able to turn on the downstairs lights from upstairs.

Edit:

Remember handguns are underpowered weapons we carry because they are convenient.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

For everyone that has weapons scattered around the house, especially in obvious places like a front closet... have you ever considered that someone breaking in might get to them before you do? Why arm your home intruders?

Marco

imported post

IMHO,a rifle is a pretty poor choice for defense inside the home.
However if that's all you have, it's perfect.

Here,I fixed it for you.

[line]

A LG is only a poor choice if you're going to do room clearing (IMHO).
Bullet selection is the key, a rifle will give you more stopping power even with lite weight frangible bullets and possibly increased magazine capacity.

Edit:
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1.htm

Remember, when things go bump in the night you're expecting a fight.

Orygunner

imported post

My daily carry gun, a Kel-Tec P-3at is always in my back pocket (in a pocket holster), including when I drop my jeans at night to when I pull them back on in the morning.

I also have a loaded 9mm Glock 19 and .40S&W Taurus PT101 in a lock box in the same bedroom if I really needed more firepower.

I'd have to agree that in MOST cases, a rifle for defense inside the home may not be the best choice (IMO), simply because of the number of walls a round may continue to go through. As long as you keep in mind not only what's immediately behind your target, but what's behind the wall that's behind the wall that's behind the wall that's behind the wall that's behind your target... Your situation may vary considerably, of course.

Want to know how many walls various rounds go through?There's some GREATtesting here:
http://www.theboxotruth.com/

...Orygunner...

Alexcabbie

imported post

My Walther P38 loaded with two Glasers and six hollowpoints is on the nightstand when I am sleeping. My PPK/s is in a paddle holster nearby in case I have to shove something in my waistband to go outside and confront suspicious people in the parking lot. Contrary to the old canard I have never and could never mistake a firearm for a cigarette lighter and shoot myself. Any idiot who does that validates Charles Darwin, IMHO.

joshuaeberly

imported post

my family has nothing to fear from a home invader. if the police don't show up in time, the dog'll eat them, and if they stop the dog, I know they're armed/dangerous. that's all I'm gonna say on the interweb.

ps. I feel for all of you guys who've had boating accidents, I had one as well, ran my rowboat into a log on the grand river while on my way to hunting camp. lost every long gun I owned.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

A 10 pound Maine Coon Attack Cat!

All my guns were recently lost inna sandstorm. :shock:

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Sabre across the headbord, 12 guage sideboard, broad sword at foot.
Pistol inside wall, vacume sealed, and wallboard routed to weaken so wife doesn't hurt her hand
punching it out to grab it. Then of course the hip mounted pistols.
Will be adding more wall mounted around the house as I haven't had any rusting problems after
4 years, guess it is the vacume. But as I aquire some 'extras' they will go in.
Oops, crossbow in closet, cocked but not loaded.:D

Do you need to count the muskets over the fireplace, and the dueling pistols on the coffee table.
I was telling the office that I am still looking for a school bus to bury in the back yard, but
alas haven't found one yet, so I guess it is just cement for me.:what:
Just wish I didn't need the added expense of cammo cover to hide from the satalites,
at least I have places to dump the dirt.

Am I the only one with anti-helicopter devices? Got my rack of estes rockets to
ward off flybys if needed since waco.
Just wish you can get the liquid fuel ones in the states. solid rockets have a shelf life
for reliable ignition.

Of course I have the utmost confidence in our government, but just in case.........

Orygunner

imported post

+1 while I LMAO.

SlackwareRobert, that post is so full of WIN I don't know how to comment...

The closest I can come to that sort of awesome is that I also have a 6 shot lever action Nerf dart gun leaning against my headboard for less-than-lethal encounters with my children.

...Of course, my son has a Nerf Vulcan, so he always wins...
...Orygunner...

Slayer of Paper

imported post

Remington 870, all the way. Why settle for a pistol in a situation where there is no need to conceal?

Of course, there's also a pistol in my shorts pocket at the foot of the bed, so when I get up to "check out the noise", I have both the shotty and a handgun for backup.

Tomahawk

imported post

Slayer of Paper wrote:
Remington 870, all the way. Why settle for a pistol in a situation where there is no need to conceal?
Well, because a pistol is easier to wield without getting out of bed, for us lazy folk. You can pop the intruder and then roll back over and go back to sleep without having to stand up. ;)

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Maybe, but when I am soundly sleeping, and groggy. I want the spray of the shotgun.
At least till I get my glasses on:cool:
The swords work on those exposed appendages very well. While I do agree
with the one type of ammo for multiple guns, I also believe in whatever is around
will work on something also is sound thinking. I do try to use like ammo
for each area of house though.

But with only 100 percussion caps, I am limited to dueling only 50 bad guys at most.:cry:

MetalChris

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
Maybe, but when I am soundly sleeping, and groggy. I want the spray of the shotgun.
If you're using quality buckshot, the only "spray" you're gonna get is a 3 inch pattern. ;)