• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City of Liberty Lake

jddssc121

imported post

I received an email back from the Police Chief Brian Asmus

(his first answer was "let me check it out", i sent the AG opinion as a follow up)

Thank you so much for the AG opinion. I will pass this on to our attorney
as well. Appears clear from the AG opinion that our ordinance needs to be
revised to come into compliance. I will bring up this issue with our public
safety committee, city council and Mayor.

Brian

jddssc121

imported post

Got this back from the Chief

I talked to our city attorney today. He agrees that the AG opinion is very
clear on this issue. Because the park use ordinance has a severability
section, he is of the opinion that this precludes the enforcement of the
possession of a firearm in the city parks. I am putting out a memo to all
of the officers explaining the AG opinion and to not enforce that section of
the ordinance.

Gene Beasley

imported post

I think this is great. I have a question and since it sounds like you talked with them (rather than taking inferences from an email). Did you get the sense that they were going to leave the code on the books and just administratively handle the non-enforcement? Do you think they would be agreeable to amending the muni code and replacing any signs?

I'm on the fence on this. Part of me says to take the little victories where we can. The other is the pragmatic devil's advocate. Five years down the road and these particular players have retired or moved on - town experiences growth - signs say no firearms citing muni code, code is still on the books... you get the drift.

jddssc121

imported post

Gene Beasley wrote:
I think this is great. I have a question and since it sounds like you talked with them (rather than taking inferences from an email). Did you get the sense that they were going to leave the code on the books and just administratively handle the non-enforcement? Do you think they would be agreeable to amending the muni code and replacing any signs?

I'm on the fence on this. Part of me says to take the little victories where we can. The other is the pragmatic devil's advocate. Five years down the road and these particular players have retired or moved on - town experiences growth - signs say no firearms citing muni code, code is still on the books... you get the drift.
it sounded like they would do it...just might take some time to get around to it