• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting Michigan Wild hogs

Darth AkSarBen

imported post

Just a quick question. Can one shoot a feral hog that is invasive in Michigan, if one does not have a Michigan hunting license? What if it is on your own place? Don't run over here expecting to shoot a hog, just wondering that question. I carry all the time around on my place and if I saw a wild boar, would I be in violtion just to shoot it?

Any good to eat?

link about the Wild Hogs: http://www.freep.com/article/20090109/NEWS06/90109098/Wild+hogs+wanted+dead++not+alive#pluckcomments

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Hunting regulations state that you may take a feral hog with any valid hunting license. However, I don't know how that would translate on your own property. I think it's considered a nuisance species, so it may be different. That's a question to e-mail the DNR about. There will be a link on the MI DNR site. I've used it before, and received a response fairly quickly.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr

ETA: certain counties only, apparently
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12145_25065_25068-174205--,00.html

taxwhat

imported post

Two different ways to answer , One on your own property Husbandry act to protect livestock or fur bearing or to prevent damage to crops OK with common sense . Two personal protection Immediate Danger of Death or injury ,self defence . You are the Hunted .

Hcidem

imported post

Sounds like its going to be a self defensive shooting to me. You will be open carrying when you are attacked , won't you?

P.S. Shoot it in the front. It willbe more convincingthat way.

Darth AkSarBen

imported post

Hcidem wrote:
Sounds like its going to be a self defensive shooting to me. You will be open carrying when you are attacked , won't you?

P.S. Shoot it in the front. It willbe more convincingthat way.
Only way you'll know is if invited over for some bacon on the grill or a nice ham in the smokehouse. Seriously, I doubt I'd eat the thing, being it could have been dinning on carrion and other crap. Disease, and parasites are more prevalent than the sanitary conditions of a modern hog farm. Even there one must be careful to fully cook your pork.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I shot javelina/peccary as a kid. We hunted in pairs with one on the ground and (ideally) one in a tree with a .375. The guy on the ground had to be ready to ditch his rifle and get into the tree. The javies attacked! The .270 was a bolt action. More than once we found trenches from the .270 bouncing/skidding off the pig's shoulder. More than once it took a half dozen rounds to stop a boar.

Yes they are good to eat and I would expect so are wild/feral hogs. Don't worry about what you think they eat just like you don't know what free-range hogs and chickens eat (chicken feed is mostly chicken droppings).

http://www.hunting-in-texas.com/javelina-info.htm
Now to the eating of a javalina. Javelina can truly be some mighty fine main courses, IF, you bear these things in mind.

First, don't shoot a big old boar. When you buy prime beef, you don't pick out the oldest, biggest bull in the herd. You pick out young, fattened cows. So, be selective when you shoot a javalina for the freezer. Pick one that's obviously a little smaller than the rest.

Second, employ a head or neck shot causing little tissue damage to the edible portions of meat. Blood shot meat is not the most flavorful or visually appealing cuts to cook.

Third, be very careful to avoid getting hair or musk on the meat. If you get much on there, the meat will smell and taste just like it, nasty! Many people cut the musk gland off before skinning the animal. I think this just spreads musk around even more. Skinning carefully will remove the gland without ever squeezing or puncturing it. Making your cuts from the inside of the skin going outward will lessen the hair deposited on the meat, as well keep your blade sharp for much longer. You will still get some hair on the meat. It can't be helped. Wash any accidentally deposited hair off the meat as soon as possible.

And lastly, a good marinade will do wonders for any game meat, javelina included. I like beer, or wine, or buttermilk, or Italian dressing for several hours prior to cooking, but a couple changes of cold, clean water works well also. Once done with the marinade, any recipe for veal will work well with javelina.

Tossing a couple of shoulders in a large roasting pot and covering the meat with various cut vegetables and 2 cups of beef broth makes a simple but wonderful dinner. Any leftovers can be quickly and easily made into a satisfying stew or soup.

taxwhat

imported post

Bronson wrote:
DNR info on feral swine:

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363-155439--,00.html

Check out the diseases associated with feral swine. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/emergingdiseases/Hutton_Pig_Paper_177657_7.doc

Mmmm, plague pig :shock:

Bronson
Just so you do not confuse . MDNR Or USDA does not control Personal Protection alsopraying that one realizes shoot to stop attack On someone by animal you need not worry about shot in back or side ,shoot to STOP .

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

Yes if the hog is on your own property you may shoot it with no license if you feel it is about to do damage to your property. The DNR has already deemed these hogs to be a danger to Michigan lander and is encouraging that if you are out hunting you kill them if you see them. In short again, yes on your property no license is required to kill these hogs. As for the second question I have heard they are very good eating.

conservative85

imported post

I'd eat feral pig they do in Hawaii. you can eat any thing wild or not as long as you inspect it, and cook it right.

http://www.prophetsplace.com/feralpig.shtml

Unlike our previous featured animal freak, the Asian Swamp Eel, the feral pig can be eaten though they're frequently carriers of parasites and bacterial diseases like trichinosis. Still, properly prepared wild boar meat is a very tasty delicacy.

Mikecatt13

imported post

like previously mentioned you can shoot them with any valid michigan license. And they are EXCELLENT eating but you might wanna think about taking them to a DNR station to get checked as it has been rumored many of the feral hogs in Michigan may be deseased

taxwhat

imported post

Mikecatt13 wrote:
like previously mentioned you can shoot them with any valid michigan license. And they are EXCELLENT eating but you might wanna think about taking them to a DNR station to get checked as it has been rumored many of the feral hogs in Michigan may be deseased
YOU DO NOT NEED A PERMIT or HUNTING LICENSE to protect yourself or loved ones !!!!!!!!

agent69

imported post

go to any sports store that sells the licenses for hunting and ask for the booklet. (free), any animal doing damage, or (my fav part) ABOUT to do damage, may be takin on private property.

so long as you have permission (written or verbal) any one can hunt private land. so if anyone wants to be reallllly cool, im up for hunting :)

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

"go to any sports store that sells the licenses for hunting and ask for the booklet. (free), any animal doing damage, or (my fav part) ABOUT to do damage, may be takin on private property."

If said animal is an eagle, I wish you luck if you follow the advice above. But, as you are sitting in prison (and your wallet is a lot lighter), you will get plenty of time to think about it...

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Agent69,

If I saw that you were a regular here I might take offense, but... I'll let it slide this time. ;)

I'd like to see that booklet you refer to, the only wording like that I have seen refers to specific animals... Could you direct me to a link or perhaps e-mail or fax a copy.

I do know that one needs to get a deer-damage permit, you can't just shoot deer (game animals) as they are eating your bushes...
(see http://www.mi.gov/documents/Wcao_134367_7.html)

But, assuming that what you wrote WAS printed somewhere...

If you say that what you wrote above refers to "game animals", then I argue that it is you who have neglected to "stay on point", as the term "game animal" means something legally.

I have an official DNR publication that says Feral Swine (hogs)are not game animals. In fact, they are not even considered "wildlife" but rather "agricultural products" (Not important? See what happens if you shoot a few of your neighbor's cows)

This comes from the DNR FAQ Sheet
(found here... http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/Feral_Swine_FAQ_-_revised_1-7_262528_7.pdf )

-------
"Why aren’t all of Michigan’s counties open to the taking of feral swine?

Feral swine are not defined as wildlife. Swine are agricultural products. Determining whether a swine is a feral animal or a temporarily escaped farm animal is virtually impossible unless the animal is marked in some visible manner. The prosecutors in the above-listed counties have agreed not to prosecute people for taking feral swine. Prosecutors in non-listed counties have not yet agreed."
-----
I would advise anyone to look at the DNR website before you go out. http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363-155439--,00.html

(Edited to make it sound "nicer")

Mikecatt13

imported post

The doing damage or about to do damage most commonly refers to coyotes, foxes, feal hogs, etc. Either way back on topic with the original subject...if you know you have hogs on your property buy a cheap license of some sort and shoot them because unless you jump them while walking around and looking for them you will not have the opportinty to shoot one in self defense, they are much more skittish than youd think. Besides, i would think if you shoot an animal about to do damage or in self defense it will likely be like a road kill situation where you will either have to acquire a permit to keep the animal or turn it in to the DNR all together (technically at least)