• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone else see this BS at the Gun Show Today?

Eagleeye

imported post

Got there at about 11:30 AM and daw this BS at the Gate.

Pissed me off so much I just turned around and went home. :cuss:

signsmje8.jpg

JBURGII

imported post

Pull the mag, clear the pipe.. now you are in accordance with the sign.. it does say "No Loaded Firearms"..

We can call this California Carry..

J

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

This is true of all gun shows in Va. I believe their insurance regs require it.

Enough guns and ammo in the immediate vicinity though to deter an aggressor.

Never seen or heard of an active shooter choosing a gun show for his theatrics either. :D

Yata hey

UtahRSO

imported post

Pretty well SOP at a lot of gun shows. Like the man said, pull mag, clear pipe, enjoy the show.

Don Quijote

imported post

I thought the fair grounds were government owned.An earlier thread discussed this when the fair was going on, and I am quite sure thatwe got a responce indicating that this was correct. The new preemption law should eliminate this kind of stuff. Anyone know that is planning to go tomorrow?

Prophet

imported post

The gun shows I've been to in PA require you to unload but have never asked that i turn it in, no do they take it and write down a serial number or anything invasive, they just want it unloaded.

Doesn't bother me enough not to go.

shad0wfax

imported post

Don Quijote wrote:
I thought the fair grounds were government owned.An earlier thread discussed this when the fair was going on, and I am quite sure thatwe got a responce indicating that this was correct. The new preemption law should eliminate this kind of stuff. Anyone know that is planning to go tomorrow?

They may be publicly owned, but they are being leased to private parties and said private party (for the duration of the lease) is considered to be theproprietor for purposes of removing people for trespassing. If they catch you carrying loaded they can (and usually will) trespass you right out of their show.

As others have pointed out, this is SOP at any of the gun shows at the Spokane County Fairgrounds and the folks who run the show you went to are the same folks who run the Spokane shows. Yes, it's sad, and yes, they can legally do that in both Idaho and Washington. EDIT: This also bypasses state pre-emption laws, since it's using private property instead.

When I went to the show in Spokane and encountered an identical sign as in your photograph, I walked right up to the sign OC'ing and then stopped at the sign in full view of everyone, drew my pistol (pointed in a safe direction) dropped my magazine, cleared the chamber, locked the action open, re-holstered my pistol, and then kept walking.

Some woman behind me made some comment to her husband that I was handling my gun in public and even drew it and her husband said "He's following the rules. There's nothing you can do about it."

Eagleeye

imported post

UtahRSO wrote:
Like the man said, pull mag, clear pipe, enjoy the show.
Not counting it much (if any) of a loss anyway, Heard the Prices were Really High on almost everything, bar for some Ammo Vendors.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

The Washington Arms Collector (WAC) shows here in WA require the firearm to be empty AND the action ziptied. No full magazines allowed in either. I carry loose rounds in my pocket as well as a empty mag when I visit.
The zipties are the soft poly ones. I can usually break them when I rack the slide on my 1911.

The proces have gotten out of had with the Obama scare. I watched ammo prices start at $130 for 700rds of 7.62x39 jump to $230 5 hrs later. AK / AR weapons going for double and triple.... Its getting harder to find deals on weapons because none are willing to budge one bit..

GWbiker

imported post

The Washington Arms Collector (WAC) shows here in WA require the firearm to be empty AND the action ziptied

That's the SOP at gun shows in the Phoenix/Tucson area. A desk is set up before the show entrance where personel ziptie your weapon after it's cleared and locked open.

So far I've not heard anyone complain about it.

bourneshooter

imported post

the sign was posted in violation of state law. A member here is working on getting the show manager and I believe a legal reprsentative from the county (?) to get this straightened up.

Hopefully that member will post on this thread soon...

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Funny enough, some officers with Ada county brought this up to me tonight when I saw them at work. They said they had heard about some "conflict" but wasn't sure about what the resolution was. These guys have been very supportive of me and OC in the past.

Here is the original link to the fairgrounds stuff that happened before:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum20/15075.html

Here is the important part and the resolution to the previous issue:

I did write a letter to Idaho Expo the other day.

Dear Sir or Ma'am,

I am writing today to inquire as to what your policy is on the legal carry of firearms while attending the fair or other events held at the fairgrounds. According to Senate Bill NO. 1441, which passed and became law in March of this year, it is against the law for "any county, city, agency, board or any other political subdivision of this state to adopt or enforce any law, rule, regulation, or ordinance which regulates in any manner the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, transportation, carrying or storage of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition." Further information on this bill can be obtained at http://www3.state.id.us/oasis/S1441.html.

As a subdivision of Ada County, do you intend to comply with this law and allow law abiding citizens to carry firearms for self-defense? I ask because I plan to attend the fair tomorrow night and want to avoid any confusion at the front gate. Thank you in advance for your understanding and timely response.

Sincerely,

RESPONSE

I am delivering your message to our security chief and he will get back to you today. However, you did not leave your phone number, which he will need. Thank you,

Lori Cox, Marketing & Development
Expo Idaho
p) 208.287.5650
Thanks a million to our 2008 Western Idaho Fair sponsors!

AND THE SECOND RESPONSE

Dear Mr. *****,

Expo Idaho and Western Idaho Fair has always and will continue to respect the carrying of weapons as allocated by Senate Bill 1441 and the carrying of concealed weapons. Please advise Security Staff at your entrance gate that you are armed. Thank you.

Most Sincerely,
Patrick Calley 208.860.4071

Ok, from how I understand it, the fairgrounds does not have the right to ban guns, therefore they can't lease that right away to a private party. Property rights exist in a "bundle", ie; water rights, soil rights, underground oil rights, leasing is a form of ownership of certain rights in this bundle, ect. If you don't have the right to do something in the first place, you can't lease or sell away that land right to anyone else.

Those who had an issue, please call Patrick at the above number.

On another note, the officers and I were talking about the Capital Mall area ban (government buildings downtown Boise). They seemed to agree that the Govenor didn't have the right to do that, and they were wondering when we are going to challenge it. Just a thought....

shad0wfax

imported post

Eagleeye wrote:
shad0wfax wrote:
This also bypasses state pre-emption laws, since it's using private property instead.
Not in Idaho, Here it's a Violation of State Law for them to do that.

I stand corrected (the same folks get away with it in WA). Can they simply refuse to sell you a ticket (or handstamp) to get in if you don't comply when you're OC'ing? (They obviously can't search you if you're CC'ing.)

Good luck setting them straight on it.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

I stand corrected (the same folks get away with it in WA). Can they simply refuse to sell you a ticket (or handstamp) to get in if you don't comply when you're OC'ing? (They obviously can't search you if you're CC'ing.)
That may very well be. Being a private event, they may be able to deny access to you period, just because they don't like how you look or any other reason. However, that sign wouldn't be enforceable by any officer; you wouldn't be breaking any law by keeping your weapon on your hip, but you may be in violation of some sort of trespassing statute if asked to leave and you refused.
My 2 cents...