• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC and loving it

TreadNot

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I've had my CPL for 7yrs and have been looking at this site for a little while now. I live in Kennewick andstarted OCing last week. I've been to Walmart twice, Costco, and The UPS Store during last week. I took the whole family to the Columbia Center Mall today without any incident. My eldest daughterhad a Barns and Noble gift card so we shopped in the kid section, then we wondered around the rest of the mall letting the kids climb into the boats they were displaying. I carry a Taurus PT145 cross-draw so it is pretty discrete but I've noticed a few people giving me double takes but nobody has run away screaming or dialing on their cells. So far it has been a great experience. My wife is going to start OCing as soon as she gets the shoulder holster she wants. I hope everyone else thinking about OCing takes the leap and just goes for it. It is extremely liberating to exercise your rights!

adamsesq

imported post

Good for you. It's actually quite liberating. But do be careful with Costco as I have read here that they have a corporate policy against carrying at all in their stores.

-adamsesq

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome aboard, and as has been pointed out OC can be quite liberating. Just be sure you know your rights if/when you are detained by LEO for OC.

daddyman

imported post

I was at the Costco in Everett today and looked everywhere for a sign that told me the Glock on my waist was not welcomed. Did not find anything restricting my 2a rights......

TreadNot

Opt-Out Members
imported post

daddyman wrote:
I was at the Costco in Everett today and looked everywhere for a sign that told me the Glock on my waist was not welcomed. Did not find anything restricting my 2a rights......
I did the same on my visit and saw nothing. So, I figure it is good to go until I'm told otherwise by management. I'm an "exective" member and will make a little bit of a stink about it if I am. I didn't read anthing regarding firearms on the membership paperwork.

shad0wfax

imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote: (FROM THIS THREAD: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=19165&forum_id=54)
From Costco

Personal Firearms/Guns in Costco Stores
Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy. If you believe that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores is either unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, or you are dissatisfied for any other reason, Costco will promptly refund your annual membership fee in full.

Let me emphasize one point they make "This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business."

You can get away with CC in Costco, but if you attempt to OC, they do have policy in writing from corporate that allows them to trespass you right out of Costco. The store you went to may not be aware of it or may not care, but if they choose to confront you, I'd advise that you leave peacefully and don't attempt to argue with them.

FYI: The Costco in Spokane had an incident where customer accidentally discharge his firearm in a restroom a few months ago. No one was hurt, but they cleared the store and called the LEO's.

just_a_car

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:
Barnes & Noble is good to go on firearms.
I love how they stated and other firearms, imagine peoples reactions if you walked in with an AK slung over your shoulder.:D
...then went to the Self Help section to find a book with a title in large print that said something like "Living with Depression"

*chuckle* Sorry... that's a terrible joke.:p

Izzle

imported post

Does anyone have any letters from Safeway or Fred Meyer on the issue?

just_a_car

imported post

Izzle wrote:
I don't know about Safeway, but I do know that DEROS hasn't had any issues with the one he frequents for coffee in Fed Way.

As for Fred Meyer, there's been a letter or three out to corporate for a loooong time and I don't think anything's come of it. There was an incident a while back that someone wrote to them about and then asked for an update and I don't recall hearing anything coming of it.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Izzle wrote:
I'm still waiting on my letter from Fred Meyer Legal. I keep getting told they are working on it and will let me know as soon as its done. To my understanding they did not have a policy and are now creating one although they haven't said which way it will go.

There is a thread on Safeway with someone dealing with a manager in which that manager sayd Safeway sollows state law. I'll see what i can did up.

Izzle

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Izzle wrote:
I'm still waiting on my letter from Fred Meyer Legal. I keep getting told they are working on it and will let me know as soon as its done. To my understanding they did not have a policy and are now creating one although they haven't said which way it will go.

There is a thread on Safeway with someone dealing with a manager in which that manager sayd Safeway sollows state law. I'll see what i can did up.
I have also made two calls to Fred Meyer that have gone unanswered, all I get is "that i will get a call from corporate"

tricityguy

imported post

Dave & TreadNot - Send me a PM when/if you want to do lunch. I'd love to get together with both of you.

I may need some help working on the city of Richland. I got their parks ban dropped, but they won't respond to my questions about their restaurant ban - they specifically ban firearms in any restaurant that serves alcohol, not just the "21 and over" section. They're out of compliance with state law and their attorney doesn't seem to want to deal with the issue.

I'm going to step up the pressure on them in the next several weeks if they continue to be non-responsive. Not sure if you're up for a "sit in" or not - an OC lunch with drinks in the family section of a Richland restaurant, & informing the police beforehand, may push the envelope enough to force their hand one way or the other.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

tricityguy wrote:
I may need some help working on the city of Richland. I got their parks ban dropped, but they won't respond to my questions about their restaurant ban - they specifically ban firearms in any restaurant that serves alcohol, not just the "21 and over" section. They're out of compliance with state law and their attorney doesn't seem to want to deal with the issue.
Contact your local Liquor control board if you find any places with improper sign placement, they will fix that. Alert the LCB about the city laws as well. Just remember you have the law on your side if they choose to push the issue.

Riverdog

imported post

tricityguy wrote:
Dave & TreadNot - Send me a PM when/if you want to do lunch. I'd love to get together with both of you.
Oh, I see how it is...

I'm happy to lend a hand, although I haven't any connections with the City anymore.

tricityguy

imported post

LOL! Sorry Riverdog. Didn't catch that you were here, too. Honestly I'd like to meet all of my fellow OCers in the area. :)

ghosthunter

imported post

Costco seems to want it both ways. I have never seen a posting at their stores about firearms. But if you OC and they contact you they fall back on the written policy. It is like they want to deal with us one at a time quietly but do not advertise their anti gun stance to the rest of their customers.