• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton man survives ambush when returning home at night

mobeewan

imported post

This happened 3 blocks from where I live. I'm always careful at night, but this is more reasonfor meto do so. This area sounded like a war zone for an hour on New Years Eve and I don't mean the sound of fireworks.

dailypress.com
Ambush victim shot back to survive
Assailants flee after wounding a pistol-packing masonry company owner six times.
By DAVID MACAULAY

247-7838

January 10, 2009

HAMPTON

When Robert Toombs returned to his Hampton home Monday night they were waiting for him in his yard.

The first bullet hit the 68-year-old masonry contractor in the back as he got out his key to open the door. He swung around and fired his own weapon at a shadowy figure wearing a hoodie in the yard.

By the time his attackers ran away, Toombs' body was riddled with six bullets.

But he survived the attack.

"All the bullets went in and came out. They missed the vital organs," Toombs' daughter Tina Dembry said Thursday.

Toombs, who was shot in his face, back, both legs and a hand, is recovering in a local hospital but is due to have surgery on his cheek where one of the gunshot wounds has caused swelling.

"He was hit six times," his son, Robert Toombs Jr., said.

Toombs' son and daughter said their father returned to his home on Shell Road near the intersection with Worster Street about 7:30 p.m. Monday. He parked his truck in the rear yard. He did not initially see his assailants because a number of vehicles are parked behind his home.

Toombs was hit by a bullet when he was about to unlock the back door.

But during the attack he fought back. Dembry said her father carries a .38 pistol with him for fear of robbery and it saved his life.

"He carries a weapon with him because he often does have money on him," she said.

Toombs is the owner of RA Toombs Masonry, a company that has been operating in Hampton for 34 years.

Dembry said her father believes he hit the only man he saw shooting at him.

"It's just a feeling he got," she said.

Neighbors told Dembry they saw four men fleeing from the scene.

Toombs' son and daughter don't know why their father was a target, but believe the men intended to kill him.

"It may have been a botched robbery," said Robert Toombs Jr.

Dembry said her father is tough even though he's 68 years old.

After he was shot he walked down the alley by his home to knock on the window and attract the attention of his wife, she said.

And Toombs insisted on walking into Hampton's Sentara CarePlex hospital, after his son drove him there. He was later transferred to Riverside Regional Medical Center, the Peninsula's trauma center.

Dembry said the community on Shell Road is shocked by the shooting.

"He's very lucky to be alive," she said.

Although police have no description of the suspects, his family believe a gun shot wound could lead to one of the attackers being caught.

"As far as the victim shooting back, that is a matter that is still under investigation," police spokeswoman Allison Good said. "There is no suspect description at this time."

Can you help? Anyone with information about the shooting can call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP (1-888-562-5887).

Copyright © 2009, Newport News, Va., Daily Press

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
mobeewan quoted from the article:
"As far as the victim shooting back, that is a matter that is still under investigation," police spokeswoman Allison Good said."
Take a long walk off a short pier, Allison.
This comment came up in the other thread on this incident. She is talking about investigating to see if he hit the bad guys, and if so did they turn up at a medical facility. In other words the police are trying to find the bad guy by seeing if the good guy inflicted an injury that made them seek medical aid or buy first aid supplies. They are NOT investigating to see if they can arrest him. Typical poor writing from the news media.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

mobeewan wrote:
This happened 3 blocks from where I live. I'm always careful at night, but this is more reasonfor meto do so. This area sounded like a war zone for an hour on New Years Eve and I don't mean the sound of fireworks.

dailypress.com
Assailants flee after wounding a pistol-packing masonry company owner six times.
By DAVID MACAULAY

247-7838

January 10, 2009
Link??

Please always post the link.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That interpretation would be a great one. But it is also an example of poor writing,phrased similarly about 'investigations' made in like incidents which meant something else.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
That interpretation would be a great one. But it is also an example of poor writing,phrased similarly about 'investigations' made in like incidents which meant something else.
Other reports, more clearly written reports,substantiate that the investigation is an effort to locate a possibly wounded suspect.

Virginian683

imported post

"He carries a weapon with him because he often does have money on him," she said.

I don't get this mentality where people find it necessary to justify carrying a gun by some additional reason beyond protecting one's life. Such as "He carries lots of cash" or "I've been robbed before." As if until you've already been a victim or carry a lot of money you don't have a right to defend yourself.

Well we know it's that way in Maryland, but this is Virginia.

In fact strictly speaking carrying money is not a reason to carry a gun because you can't legally shoot just because somebody (unarmed) demands your money.

Since the cowards just opened fire without warning from ambush, I hope the one ape he shot at was hit and bled to death slowly and painfully from the wound in some crap-filled ditch.

mobeewan

imported post

Mike wrote:
mobeewan wrote:

dailypress.com
By DAVID MACAULAY

247-7838

January 10, 2009
Link??

Please always post the link.

I copied it originally, but lost it when making the post.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/local/hampton/dp-local_gunattack_0110jan10,0,3638098.story

AbNo

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Nelson_Muntz wrote:
mobeewan quoted from the article:
"As far as the victim shooting back, that is a matter that is still under investigation," police spokeswoman Allison Good said."
Take a long walk off a short pier, David.
This comment came up in the other thread on this incident. She is talking about investigating to see if he hit the bad guys, and if so did they turn up at a medical facility. In other words the police are trying to find the bad guy by seeing if the good guy inflicted an injury that made them seek medical aid or buy first aid supplies. They are NOT investigating to see if they can arrest him. Typical poor writing from the news media.

Fixed. :D