• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kentucky State Militia... information to follow...

PFC Helms

imported post

Ok, First I was to nip this in the bud. We are not a Raciest, Religious, or Radical organization!!! we do not tolerate any form of discrimination.

Ok, with that said I want to say that we are looking for people that my be interested in joining. we are mainly a group of LAW-ABIDING citizens that share a common interest in LEGAL firearms, Citizens Rights, Survival, and Education for the public at large of their rights as Citizens of the greatCommonwealth of Kentucky, and the United States of America our background is derived from history and a willingness to assist a community in need. such as in the case of Hurricane Katrina. we are trying to start a non-profit organization to assist theCommonwealth of Kentucky in times of need. We have a basic command staff together right now and are open to ideas and suggestions about doing this properly and legally whereas to portray a very positive image to the general public. are goals are to protect the Commonwealth of Kentucky and every citizens rights. I am just looking for any suggestions from this community ans to how we should proceed. we are also seeking advice on how to get the organization recognized by the state and federal government as a non-profit organization. similar to Civil Air Patrol

Thanks, in advance for all suggestions

also if you want to see a rough draft of what are plans ans more information until we can get a website we are using myspace as a form for information about us the url is http://www.myspace.com/kentucky_state_militia
and also you can email us at kentucky.state.militia@gmail.com

Carnivore

imported post

Personally I'd just enlist in the National Guard,, aside from uniting with a few well trusted and armedneighbors in the event of a state of emergency, to protect your family and property, you might be asking for more attention than one would want trying to organize your own army..

But hey this is just my opinion!!

[align=center]Law Encyclopedia: Militia
Home > Library > Law & Legal Issues > Law Encyclopedia
This entry contains information applicable to United States law only.

A group of private citizens who train for military duty to be ready to defend their state or country in times of emergency. A militia is distinct from regular military forces, which are units of professional soldiers maintained both in war and peace by the federal government.[/align]
In the United States, the National Guard currently serves as the nation's militia. Made up of volunteers, the National Guard acts under the dual authority of both the federal and state governments. According to the Constitution, Congress can call the National Guard into federal service for three purposes: to enforce federal laws, to suppress insurrections, and to defend against invasions. State governors can call upon the National Guard for emergencies that are prescribed by state law.

Another type of militia, not recognized by the federal or state governments, is the private militia. Private militias are composed of private citizens who train for armed combat. The formation of private militias became more common in the United States in the early 1990s as some political groups armed themselves to demonstrate their opposition to certain policies and practices of the federal government. One of the most publicized private militia groups was the Montana Freemen, who were involved in a lengthy standoff with agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation in 1996.

tito887

imported post

what does it matter if it was a non-profit organization? Does that even matter?

boohickey11

imported post

Here are some recommendations:

Start Locally with your local gun range buddies. Try and amass a group of individuals such that you can vote for some leader, preferably one with military experience who can train. Each man brings his own weapon and ammo.

If we can get enough branches across the state we can have all the elected leaders communicate and help build a network. If enough people could really be involved than maybe (but VERY unlikely) they could get some kind of recognition from the Governor.

Obviously each group would need to have regular meetings that are completely planned out and are meaningful. Make every effort to NOT look like a fringe organization. I'll go so far as to say to not wear camo when training. Just like with open carry we want to show ourselves as everyday citizens instead of mall ninjas.

BTW the National Guard is NOT the militia. Militia is voluntary at all times.

PFC Helms

imported post

boohickey11 wrote:
Here are some recommendations:

Start Locally with your local gun range buddies. Try and amass a group of individuals such that you can vote for some leader, preferably one with military experience who can train. Each man brings his own weapon and ammo.

If we can get enough branches across the state we can have all the elected leaders communicate and help build a network. If enough people could really be involved than maybe (but VERY unlikely) they could get some kind of recognition from the Governor.

Obviously each group would need to have regular meetings that are completely planned out and are meaningful. Make every effort to NOT look like a fringe organization. I'll go so far as to say to not wear camo when training. Just like with open carry we want to show ourselves as everyday citizens instead of mall ninjas.

BTW the National Guard is NOT the militia. Militia is voluntary at all times.

Exactly, we are trying to educate everybody in the rights and responsibilities that are for each citizen of this greatcommonwealth our entire senior staff all have military experience so far. either Army National Guard or Marine Corps. We are even planning on teaching classes in History and US Law some point before we even get into weapons training. We want to do this the right way and the more people we have the more we can get accomplished. We are wanting to become a non-profit organization because we want to be able to receive any form of donations that someone would want to give at any point in time or if we can be apart of the DRMO program from the Military to receive military surplus such as vehicles and other items. I appreciate everyones help so far. and look for continued support from this community. anyone interested in joining can contact us from the links above

Thanks again

superdemon

imported post

PFC Helms wrote:
Ok First I was to nip this in the bud. We are not a Raciest, Religous, or Radical organization!!! we do not tolerate any form of discrimination.

Ok with that said I want to say that we are looking for people that my be interested in joining. we are mainly a group of LAW-ABIDING citizens that share a common intrest in LEGAL firearms, Citizens Rights, Survival, and Education fo the public at large of their rights and Citizens of the great state of Kentucky, and the United States of America our background is derived from histor and a willingness to assist a community in need. such as in the case of Hurricane Katrina. we are trying to start a non-profit organization to assist the state of kentucky in times of need. We have a basic command staff together right now and are open to ideas and suggestions about doing this properly and legally whereas to portray a very posative image to the general public. are goals are to protect the Commonwealth of Kentucky and every citizens rights. I am just looking for any suggestions from this community ans to how we should proceed. we are also seeking advice on how to get the organization recognized by the state and federal government as a Non-profit organization. similar to Civil Air Patrol

Thanks, in advance for all suggestions

also if you want to see a rough draft of what are plans ans more information untill we can get a website we are using myspace as a form for information about us the url is http://www.myspace.com/kentucky_state_militia
and also you can email us at kentucky.state.militia@gmail.com

Ok, you want suggestions?

Spell-check. Seriously.

You say you want to educate others, but you refer to "kentucky" as both a state and a commonwealth? You're going to come across as agenda-driven and not true to what you state are your core values unless you start doing a better job of presenting yourself in public.

More than anything, leftists want to point to things like your post and say, "See, look at these ignorant rednecks, they should be stopped."

More than anything, I would drop the moniker of "militia". The title just has a negative connotation, through no fault of your own.

I would go with "Kentucky Citizens' Union", or something along that line. That way you can come off as a "service organization", just with a little more umph than say, the Lions Club. But you have to make sure that the service part of your organization is put out in public.

I would do several things...

1. Get the name of your organization out there in a positive light as many times as possible. Do things like donate to the yearly coat drives for needy children in your area, donate to things like food banks when radio and television stations are having drives. Make sure you arrive with a truckload of stuff, with a banner on the side of the truck that says, "Kentucky Citizens' Union" (or whatever) on the side of it. You might get a free quickie interview on the radio if your donation is impressive enough.

2. Sponsor a kid's T-ball, soccer, and/or football team. Make sure "KCU" is on the back of the jerseys.

3. Adopt a stretch of highway.

4. If you really, really want to cast of the "racist" connotation, make sure you are seen in some capacity at organised events that attract mostly African-Americans, and Mexican-Americans.

5. Have a float in any local parades (again, with that banner flying), and if it is allowed, throw candy at everyone who looks to be under 21. :p

6. Get involved with the local F.O.P. See if you can sponsor a bingo session once a month. Bring your banner.

What all these things will do is attract attention to your organization. People will approach, and ask specifically what it is you do. Push the service aspects, then and just include the whole gun rights thing in the middle somewhere.

I am not saying your should hide any aspects of your organization, just be very choosey about which ones your thrust to the forefront. Even if you have a potential convert, they could be turned away by the thought of joining a "militia", but freely join a "Kentucky Citizens' Union."

PFC Helms

imported post

Ok, sorry about the spelling I am usually really good about catching those mistakes. Those suggestions are some really good onesand I agree with them. The rest of the senior staff and I are working on a lot of things to include what we are going to officially call ourselves. We are going to vote on it at our first staff meeting. One of the things that we are planning on doing as far as any weapons training, the BC, SGM, and I are going to get NRA Instructor Certified. I definitely agree about supporting X-American (replace X with whichever nationality you please) events to cast away the entire negative stigma that surrounds many of the Militia groups. Our entire operationis open to public inspection. We want the public to beinvolved because the whole reason we are here is for them. I really appreciate all the suggestions that have been given, and welcome any more suggestions that anyone may have.

Also, I have edited my previous post for spelling and grammar

Lame Wolf

imported post

When comes to firearms training, I do so under the banner of a rifle team, a pistol team, and or a shotgun team. Also, have/sponsor IDPA and 3 gun type competitions. Invite the local sheriff, chief of police, whomever to have a representative at your business and training meetings. I strongly suggest that you do not have any of these in your name: militia, guard, or defense force. It will cause you unwarranted attention and headache in the long run. Keep everything legal, open and above board. Try to find an attorney to be your legal affairs officer who is willing and able to do research in legalities. Seek a state wide sponsoring agency. If the state military department will not, how about state emergency preparedness. As to a name, you may want to adopt the name of a historic unit: Kentucky Scouts, Kentucky Pathfinders, or Kentucky Rangers. May want to have various individuals or teams who could do living history impressions during various time frames of Kentucky History.

Mini14

imported post

Why not take a tip from the Godzilla movies, and call yourself(s) the .'Kentucky Self Defense Forces'? Avoid dressinglike Isaiah Amos Rednecks,thatwill not win popular support; Confederate-Flag waving, hogleg revolver-, lever action rifle-, shotgun- brandishing crowd.

Pay for police background checks, dress decently, act reasonably well-behaved. A .'casual summer uniform', itcould bea moisture-wicking white t-shirt, a pair of light tan Kmart cargo pants, pull on sneakers, and a white ball cap with .'KSDF'. on it. Save the cammies for when they are needed, Have armbands with .'KSDF'. printed on them.

jmlefler

imported post

Carnivore wrote:
Personally I'd just enlist in the National Guard,, aside from uniting with a few well trusted and armedneighbors in the event of a state of emergency, to protect your family and property, you might be asking for more attention than one would want trying to organize your own army..

But hey this is just my opinion!!

[align=center]Law Encyclopedia: Militia
Home > Library > Law & Legal Issues > Law Encyclopedia
This entry contains information applicable to United States law only.

A group of private citizens who train for military duty to be ready to defend their state or country in times of emergency. A militia is distinct from regular military forces, which are units of professional soldiers maintained both in war and peace by the federal government.[/align]
In the United States, the National Guard currently serves as the nation's militia. Made up of volunteers, the National Guard acts under the dual authority of both the federal and state governments. According to the Constitution, Congress can call the National Guard into federal service for three purposes: to enforce federal laws, to suppress insurrections, and to defend against invasions. State governors can call upon the National Guard for emergencies that are prescribed by state law.

Another type of militia, not recognized by the federal or state governments, is the private militia. Private militias are composed of private citizens who train for armed combat. The formation of private militias became more common in the United States in the early 1990s as some political groups armed themselves to demonstrate their opposition to certain policies and practices of the federal government. One of the most publicized private militia groups was the Montana Freemen, who were involved in a lengthy standoff with agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation in 1996.
My understanding is that if you're in the Guard, you are no longer part of the militia, nor am I for that matter as I am older than 45...

Carry on

PFC Helms

imported post

The Senior Staff and I were thinking we could use the Army Green Dress uniforms with red name tags and red flashes on the black beret, instead of black name tags and blue beret flashes. The main reason behind this decision is that the U.S. Army is phasing out the Service Green uniforms. For Utility uniforms were planning on using the Tru-spec Crye-Precision Multicam pattern uniforms. With tan boots, nametapes, and for a branch tape stating Kentucky. Then also have casual uniforms such as khaki slacks and a polo shirt with the name and emblem on it, and either the tan boots or tennis shoes. Also, an idea has came up to have the U.S. Flag on the Right shoulder and the Kentucky State Flag on the left shoulder of the Utility Uniforms.

Another idea for the name that we are considering is the Kentucky State Defense Force. We have also decided that we are going to adopt a grooming standard to present a positive image to the public and it will be enforced while at both Unit meetings, and activities or any time members are in uniform. The SGM and I have been discussing that we will have a background check as part of the enlistment process. We are looking for a person that could perform S-1 duties in personnel administration. We will not tolerate any activity that would be considered Illegal or Immoral, as a term of membership.

superdemon

imported post

PFC Helms wrote:
The Senior Staff and I were thinking we could use the Army Green Dress uniforms with red name tags and red flashes on the black beret, instead of black name tags and blue beret flashes. The main reason behind this decision is that the U.S. Army is phasing out the Service Green uniforms. For Utility uniforms were planning on using the Tru-spec Crye-Precision Multicam pattern uniforms. With tan boots, nametapes, and for a branch tape stating Kentucky. Then also have casual uniforms such as khaki slacks and a polo shirt with the name and emblem on it, and either the tan boots or tennis shoes. Also, an idea has came up to have the U.S. Flag on the Right shoulder and the Kentucky State Flag on the left shoulder of the Utility Uniforms.

Another idea for the name that we are considering is the Kentucky State Defense Force. We have also decided that we are going to adopt a grooming standard to present a positive image to the public and it will be enforced while at both Unit meetings, and activities or any time members are in uniform. The SGM and I have been discussing that we will have a background check as part of the enlistment process. We are looking for a person that could perform S-1 duties in personnel administration. We will not tolerate any activity that would be considered Illegal or Immoral, as a term of membership.

Personally, I would not show up at any public gathering in anything resembling a uniform. I would not want my public image to be tht of a para-military force. I would want it to be that of a service orgainization, but hey, this is your gig, not mine.

One thing we do, is we go to the airport when a shipment of troops coming in from active duty comes in. If any of the troops don't have rides home, we don't let them call taxis, we take them in our POVs, even if it means driving across the state. All we ask in return is to walk them to their door (never in the door), and tell whoever greets them, "The Constitutinalist Party of Kentucky would like to thank you and your family for your service." Turn, and leave.

Your non-profit info...

http://www.sos.ky.gov/business/filings/nonprofit.htm

Sam Adams

imported post

I think the really important thing is the education; too many people are just too ignorant about the Constitution and its exposition of our rights as Americans. In Pennsylvania we have a group called the Constitutional Organization Of Lebanon which is actually offering classes on the Constitution, from simple half-day sessions to in depth multi-week courses.

I agree, regrettably, that the use of the word "militia" gives liberals and anti-gunners fits; the less paramilitary, the better.

Having said that, I think the idea of having a volunteer group trained in defense of the state is a great idea and I wish we had something like that in PA.

Sam Adams

imported post

Excellent ideas RE greeting troops at the airport; a well organized group would also be able to garner some good press.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

So when is the lawsuit against congress, the national guard call up doesn't
fall under any of the three powers to activate and send to Iraq.

We arn't being invaded, (just attacked), no insurrection (except by left)
and we arn't enforcing fed law over there. So by iwhat`authority is congress
activating the troops?

Sam Adams

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
So when is the lawsuit against congress, the national guard call up doesn't
fall under any of the three powers to activate and send to Iraq.

We arn't being invaded, (just attacked), no insurrection (except by left)
and we arn't enforcing fed law over there. So by iwhat`authority is congress
activating the troops?

Actually, since the Department of Defense absorbed the state National Guards back in the '60's (when the individual states sold out their Guard in exchange for the feds paying the bills), the federal government can call up the Guard under orders of the Executive office.

Regardless, a locally organized, civic-minded "militia" group is still a good idea.

superdemon

imported post

Sam Adams wrote:
Excellent ideas RE greeting troops at the airport; a well organized group would also be able to garner some good press.

Thank you.

I still say:

1. Take "militia" out of your name.

2. Don't wear uniforms in public.