• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handguns stolen from dealer in Olympia

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

From The Olympian
http://www.theolympian.com/southsound/story/721941.html

Handguns taken from Devoe Street retailer
Someone stole about 23 handguns from a display case during a burglary at J&S Sporting Goods on Devoe Street.
The burglary occurred while the business was closed, about 2 p.m. Sunday, said J&S Sporting Goods owner Steve Melby. A cutting tool was used, he said. The burglary activated an alarm in the store, Melby added.
Olympia Police Detective Rebecca Fayette said the burglary is under investigation. Anyone with information is asked to call 360-753-8300 or Crime Stoppers at 360-493-2222.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

dlnwoody wrote:
I thought a business that sold guns had to put them in a safe when they are closed.
Only if they're smart. Often times there are no laws against stupidity, only natural selection.

Morris

North of Seattlle, South of Canada, Washington, US
imported post

No requirement by law to do so. However, most business insurers are starting to require alternative storage than the sales floor, such as a secured safe room or something like that. But if you are a large volume dealer, it's difficult or impractical to store 20-35+ handguns back into their boxes and back into a locked room.

Cutting tool, eh? Interesting . . .

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Another dealer in [size="-1"]Peterborough, N.H.[/size] had 73 stolen.

Eric Manna Distributing was a popular hangout for local gun enthusiasts, especially those that liked large military artillery. Manna was known for drawing an early morning Saturday crowd to the gun range behind the store, where he would give enthusiasts an opportunity to fire the military weapons. Seems they used this as the oppurtunity to plan their break-in.

http://www.ledgertranscript.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090108/LEDGERTRANSCRIPT/901080446/1315

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

arms_libertas wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
...The burglary activated an alarm in the store, Melby added....
I wonder what the OPD response time was.
Given as the store is on the far side of town, probably as fast as possible. At night they have a skeleton crew, perhaps 3-4 cars on that side of town. Unless by some miracle a car was nearby, I can't envision a response time of less than 5 minutes given the distance to be traveled from the police station to the gun shop.

hillyard

imported post

arms_libertas wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
...The burglary activated an alarm in the store, Melby added....
I wonder what the OPD response time was.

I had a gun stolen on Christmas 2007. Called 911 at 10:30 am, Still no police has shown up, they just called back and asked what type