• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Defensive Handgun Training in Richmond Area

rchjr

imported post

I am looking for defensive handgun training for my wife in or around Richmond. I'm interested in something that qualifies for CHP and also includes range time. It also has to be affordable. Anyone got any ideas. Thanks

ClumsyCandy

imported post

www.[b]dominion[/b]shootingrange.com

106 Turner Rd
Richmond, VA 23225
(804) 276-2851

Every other weekend they do a class, includes range time, and they have a lawyer speak about whats legal and whats not. Cost doesn't include ammunition which you have to purchase at the range. Hope this helps.

TFred

imported post

ClumsyCandy wrote:
http://www.dominionshootingrange.com

106 Turner Rd
Richmond, VA 23225
(804) 276-2851

Every other weekend they do a class, includes range time, and they have a lawyer speak about whats legal and whats not. Cost doesn't include ammunition which you have to purchase at the range. Hope this helps.
I don't know how much back reading of older threads you've done, but apparently Dominion isn't particularly well liked 'round these parts... :) Never been there myself so I have no personal opinion...

TFred

ClumsyCandy

imported post

LOL sorry no don't do much back reading. I did my training with a private instructor who also does classes, if there is a group of people who would like to get together, he does classes. I can give his info privately to anyone interested. He's a dealer and a licensed NRA instructor. Thanks for the info though! :)

67GT390FB

imported post

ClumsyCandy wrote:
http://www.dominionshootingrange.com

106 Turner Rd
Richmond, VA 23225
(804) 276-2851

Second the motion of Dominion, they have multi person classes as well as some the staff offers one on one instrcution.

Dominion is limited on what they can do by the ancient location they inherited. The current owners didn't build it so they are stuck with what they have. They'd love to improve their facility so any of the whinybabies who like to bitch so much about them are free to donate their cash to do so or as in the other thread build their own place. oh but that would cost alot more than 5-8 dollar markup in ammo. don't like it fine sit at home and shoot airsoft or play with snap caps. Until then it is the only indoor range around richmond so we better support it before it goes away and leaves us with nothing.

There are a few chuckleheads on here that would complain about even a new state of the art facility. oh thats right they have in regards to the super expensive memberships for the new nova range. they want state of the art but don't want to pay for it.

Though the aging facility could use some improvements the staff there is topknotch and friendly and truly wants to improve the place.

As to the linked thread and mention of overall atmosphere what does the guy want puppies and kittens? he should have been in there several years ago before they improved it.

spitfyr

imported post

rchjr wrote:
I am looking for defensive handgun training for my wife in or around Richmond. I'm interested in something that qualifies for CHP and also includes range time. It also has to be affordable. Anyone got any ideas. Thanks
Another option is the Smoking Gun in Colonial Heights. They only have 7 short lanes so much smaller than Dominion but cleaner and better lighting too. They do 4 hour classes every Thu nite and Sat morn. It is class room then range time with instruction. http://www.sostraining.net/smokinggun

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

rchjr wrote:
I see ProShooter responded.

Also, VCDL President is an instructor in that area; I don't know his schedule.