• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You never know who owns or carries a gun

kerchaulk

imported post

I went to a party tonight for a buddy of mine who is getting married soon. Irode with my younger brother and his "new girlfriend".

My buddy, mother, and father are as close as you can get to being family as you can get without bloodlines. His parents are fervent pacifists.. They don't believe in violence in any way shape or form. (If only it was a perfect world). Anyway, I didn't carry to their home out of respect and the fact that alcohol would be flowing in abundance. Staying sober was going to be highly unlikely.

Later in the night as I was talking to the bride and groom to be, I remembered that they both live just outside of Richmond. I am planning on going to Lobby Day on the 19th of January. So, I started asking them about eating and parking in downtown Richmond. They gave me some info on where to park and suggested that we meet some time that day to eat.

My brother asks what I will be doing in Richmond on a Monday (He knows that between work and the family I have little time for anything else). I tell him that I will be there for Lobby Day with the VCDL to support "our" gun rights. My brother asks what "Lobby Day" and the "VCDL" are.

DING DING DING! His "new girlfriend" chimes in with the correct answers! I WAS STUNNED! She then says... "Did you know that OC is legal in VA?" Being that this is my brothers "new girlfriend" I didn't kiss her right then and there.

As it turns out, the first time she was at my house my brother pointed out before handthat I carry, so she wouldn't be "alarmed" ( yes I scolded him after I found this out).I was CCher firsttime at my house, but she says she made it a point to herself to find out if I was at the time.

AGAIN, I could have kissed her when she told me this. I asked her how she knew so much about OC, CC, and guns? She comes back with "I own a Glock and I have my CHP".

I see my brother give her a sideways glance (guess he didn't know).YET AGAIN, I had to fight the urge to give her a kiss (this kiss and the afore mentioned kisses were in no way sexually intended).

Right after that, the bride to be, comes in with the fact thather father was a LEO and that she and her fiancee intend to get their own gun(s) shortly.

Now I am flabergasted! I have known 3 out of the4 otherpeople in the room for a while and never would have expected any of them to beparticipants ofthe RKBA! I had thought that I was the only person in my extended family that felt this way. As it turns out, I was the only one who actually said or did anything out in the open. Some of them felt the same way, but just kept it to themselves to spare the ridicule from others! I think it just goes to show you never know and there is always hope that other people can think for themselves.

Sorry if this was lengthy, but I had to share this right away.I locked my carry weapon away from the little hands at home and even had my wife wondering "who else in the family felt the same way"?

edited: to prove I know where the <enter> key is :lol:

richarcm

imported post

That's really cool! It makes it even cooler that she is a girl! :) I really think all you have to do is take someone who is either anti or not sure to the range and their opinion almost instantly changes. Everyone that I've made go with me has ended up at least gaining some sort of respect for it all. I took a 5 foot nothing asian girl to Gilberts friday night. She was scared but excited at the same time....just so she could say she had tried it. She actually hadn't been too influenced by the media and was pretty neutral so it was nice. But now she is begging me to take her again! Her hands are the size of an 8 year olds and she had no problem picking up my 1911 and firing off all 8 rounds. Now I have to try and drag another girl friend of mine to the range. She isn't anti but does not personally like them. I think I can change her too. :)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I went to a party tonight for a buddy of mine who is getting married soon. Irode with my younger brother and his "new girlfriend".

My buddy, mother, and father are as close as you can get to being family as you can get without bloodlines. His parents are fervent pacifists.. They don't believe in violence in any way shape or form. (If only it was a perfect world). Anyway, I didn't carry to their home out of respect and the fact that alcohol would be flowing in abundance. Staying sober was going to be highly unlikely.

Later in the night as I was talking to the bride and groom to be, I remembered that they both live just outside of Richmond. I am planning on going to Lobby Day on the 19th of January. So, I started asking them about eating and parking in downtown Richmond. They gave me some info on where to park and suggested that we meet some time that day to eat.

My brother asks what I will be doing in Richmond on a Monday (He knows that between work and the family I have little time for anything else). I tell him that I will be there for Lobby Day with the VCDL to support "our" gun rights. My brother asks what "Lobby Day" and the "VCDL" are.

DING DING DING! His "new girlfriend" chimes in with the correct answers! I WAS STUNNED! She then says... "Did you know that OC is legal in VA?" Being that this is my brothers "new girlfriend" I didn't kiss her right then and there.

As it turns out, the first time she was at my house my brother pointed out before handthat I carry, so she wouldn't be "alarmed" ( yes I scolded him after I found this out).I was CCher firsttime at my house, but she says she made it a point to herself to find out if I was at the time.

AGAIN, I could have kissed her when she told me this. I asked her how she knew so much about OC, CC, and guns? She comes back with "I own a Glock and I have my CHP".

I see my brother give her a sideways glance (guess he didn't know).YET AGAIN, I had to fight the urge to give her a kiss (this kiss and the afore mentioned kisses were in no way sexually intended).

Right after that, the bride to be, comes in with the fact thather father was a LEO and that she and her fiancee intend to get their own gun(s) shortly.

Now I am flabergasted! I have known 3 out of the4 otherpeople in the room for a while and never would have expected any of them to beparticipants ofthe RKBA! I had thought that I was the only person in my extended family that felt this way. As it turns out, I was the only one who actually said or did anything out in the open. Some of them felt the same way, but just kept it to themselves to spare the ridicule from others! I think it just goes to show you never know and there is always hope that other people can think for themselves.

Sorry if this was lengthy, but I had to share this right away.I locked my carry weapon away from the little hands at home and even had my wife wondering "who else in the family felt the same way"?
See what using the <enter> key can do? :banghead:

Nice to find out you are not the only one in the family that believes in RKBA. How many of you are members of VCDL? If not a member, why not?

stay safe, ansI'll be looking foryou on lobby day.

skidmark

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

skidmark wrote:
Nice to find out you are not the only one in the family that believes in RKBA. How many of you are members of VCDL? If not a member, why not?

stay safe, ansI'll be looking foryou on lobby day.

skidmark
Bring other members of your family - numbers do count - and it's fun/educational.

Yata hey

kerchaulk

imported post

lol, sorry about that. It was late and as the story says I had had plenty to drink.

I am the only VCDL member in my family. The rest of my family has spread out across the country.

The brother who lives in VA is not what you would call a "gun enthusiast". I suspect him of being an Obama supporter. :cry:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I had dinner on Friday with one of my buddies and his date, both of which work at the same place I do. When discussing dinner plans on Friday afternoon he mentioned that the young lady had just picked up a .357 Mag revolver for self defense, but didn't really know about her gun handling experience.

That night I met the young lady and she was certainly pleasant and friendly and about halfway through the meal she brought up the subject of firearms. When she asked me about what I have I spun in my chair and pointed out the one I was carrying and listed some others. It turns out she is not a novice to shooting and guns in general and even asked me when we all could go out to the range.

Although I know my buddy is a big hunting guy, I was quite pleased to see that he managed to find a nice young lady with a good head on her shoulders and an existing knowledge and appreciation for firearms. :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
skidmark wrote:
See what using the <enter> key can do? :banghead:
haskidmarkyouwouldlovetheancientgreekstheyhadnopuncuationcapitallettersororspacesbetweentheirwordsorsentencesnowthatisfunstufftoread
Read Archy and Mehitabel lately? :)
Complete book with no spaces, caps or punctuation - its a classic.

Yata hey

ClumsyCandy

imported post

You know I think most people would be surprised to see that I carry. I'm 5' 9", 125lbs and I conceal in my Lacoste purses.:lol: Wonder how many yuppies are packin' heat in their designer handbags like I do? :) I just like the cute alligator...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ClumsyCandy wrote:
You know I think most people would be surprised to see that I carry. I'm 5' 9", 125lbs and I conceal
in my Lacoste purses.:lol: Wonder how many yuppies are packin' heat in their designer handbags like I do? :) I just like the cute alligator...
Alligator = bag or grips? :D

My best half is svelte, west end girl, works for a law firm (they know & approve) and
carries 95% of the time. Been working on the purse carry - she's gradually coming
around more and more to her kydex holster for CC - much better retention/control.

She does OC too. :lol:

Yata hey

Marco

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Alligator = bag or grips? :D
Don't forget boots, hat bands, belts (have several) jerky and pets.

I'm glad to see holstercompanies making paddles holsters that are contoured for women.

[line]
OP, get to work on your Brother.:lol:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Ok, I've got to say something to put a stop to this outrageous nonsense.

Women carrying firearms. Whoever heard of such a thing. Why, your blatant acts are flying in the face of everything being told to you and are only galvanizing the likes of the gun nuts and proving that "our" cause has serious holes in its logic.

Bet that's what the anti's think about you ladies taking matters into your own hands and carrying something that could save you more than a run in your hose. Good for you and I hope we see a lot more ladies doing the same thing.

ClumsyCandy

imported post

LOL as in has alligators on it, Lacoste is the company that has the alligator logo. :D Not made of : ). And thanks for the encouragement, I figure in those bags (especially my pink one) I'm carrying CONCEALED to the full extent! Who would guess what I keep in MY purse?!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Don't want to discourage you but what is the first thing you will loose in a fight or a purse snatching. Hint - the answer is the same either way.

I'm glad that you chose to be responsible - there are more secure and more readily accessible ways to carry though.

Just sayin'.

Yata hey