• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Active military considered resident?

heresolong

imported post

Well that was an annoying quotation. What happened there? Here is the relevant part as far as I can see.

"ATF takes the position that if the laws of a given State allow its residents to acquire a long gun in a contiguous State, those laws also allow its residents to acquire a long gun in any other State where the laws of that State permit such"

Be nice if we could have a .pdf copy of the relevant newsletter or a link to an official website that states this.

kparker

imported post

NavyLT,

My apologies--I just assumed the Florida law you quoted was current, rather than never having been updated since the Federal requirements changed.

Trigger Dr

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:
I work in that business. Washington state law requires that you be a resident to purchase a hand gun. A little know fact is that a non resident can purchase a hand gun from an FFL dealer, but there is a 2 month waiting period. What is required is any state issued picture ID, or original orders from your command showing your permanent duty station. The simple solution is to just go to DOL office and get a state ID card for about $10.50. These documents are to establish residency. TDY orders do not qualify.

With your military ID and a document such as a power bill, car insurance, vehicle registration, etc. you can purchase a handgun.

OK. What law allows for a non-resident to purchase a handgun from an FFL with a two month waiting period? I would really like to see the citation of that law. Federal Law, Title 44 Chapter 18 Section 922 better known as 18 USC 922 specifically forbids and makes it illegal (a felony) for an FFL to sell a handgun to an out of state resident. It also forbids and makes it illegal for the purchaser to transport that handgun into his state of residence. I can post the citations, if desired, of that Federal Law.

and, BTW, according to BATFE, the document that accompanies the Military ID to purchase firearms is permanent change of station orders because a military member can have a Military ID and can have all the other documents that you mentioned in your post and still not be a resident of that state. Because my last duty station was Oklahoma, I can give you all those documents with an Oklahoma address on them, but my state of residence is now Washington.

And finally, in addition to WA state law requiring residency to purchase a handgun from an FFL, it is the Federal Law as stated above.
RCW 9.41.090, section 1 c
(c) Five business days, meaning days on which state offices are open, have elapsed from the time of receipt of the application for the purchase thereof as provided herein by the chief of police or sheriff designated in subsection (5) of this section, and, when delivered, the pistol shall be securely wrapped and shall be unloaded. However, if the purchaser does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the waiting period under this subsection (1)(c) shall be up to sixty days.

I see where you could have misunderstood my post. I should have specified Wa State ID and permanent duty station orders for an installation Wa. The other documents such as power bill etc, are to verify duty orders.

My comments on this are over.

armyhellion13

imported post

I have not tried it here in Washington, but was able to buy firearms in Arizona by showing my Military ID, Social Security Card, and a couple letters addressed to me in state. I even bought a shotgun at wal-mart doing this. That was about 2 years ago.

jbone

imported post

I called around to the dealers I was looking to buy from, they were all requiring Military ID and a copy of orders, or the original so they could make a copy. I opted to pay the $20 for a Washington State ID card. With this I didn’t have to carry my orders around when shopping. Showed the Dept of Licensing my MI drivers, Mil ID and a proof of my residence and (utility bill I think it was) and I had a state ID card.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/gettingidcard.html

Sea_Chicken

imported post

I am active duty military from WA and currently in VA and had the same issue a while back but while active duty you retain duel residency to the state your from and the state your stationed in. Just show a copy of your orders and let them do a background check and you should be good.