• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glovebox Carry

v8shoguy

imported post

What is the legality of glovebox carry in OH? Here's the situation...

I was in KY and had to go into the Sheriff's office, locked my 2 handguns in the glovebox like a good citizen. On my way up to OH I stopped to put them both back in their holsters. The glovebox opened right up. I removed my primary pistol and holstered it. I was wondering what was going on with the glovebox so (like an idiot) I closed it. Now it doesn't open, no matter if the keyhole is in the locked or unlocked position. I haven't had a chance to try to get it open again, but it's locked and in a nice car so I'm not going to pry it open if I can help it. It is, to my knowledge, completely inaccessible without disassembleing the dash

What happens if I get pulled over? What happens if my wife is driving the car (no permit) and gets pulled over? What if I am driving and she is in the passenger seat?

Thanks for the help.

Deanimator

imported post

1. With an Ohio CHL or recognized credential from another state, carry in glove box or closed center console is legal, locked or otherwise.

2. If your wife who does not have a CHL and is alone in the car with a loaded firearm, that is a crime.

3. If you have a CHL and are in the car, it doesn't matter who's driving, so long as the loaded firearm is carried in accordance with the ORC (in holster on YOUR body, in glove box, in center console, in closed container, etc.).

v8shoguy

imported post

Thanks for the info. She doesn't drive the car alone for now (Manual Transmission) and I guess for the time being she can't legally drive it without me in the car. I guess that's one way to keep her from taking it :)

bradco

imported post

Is this by any chance a BMW?as I have had that happend to me on a couple of my BMW's usually because the bracket in the rear is offset and holds the lock in place, and unfortunately I had to break one of them and replace it, or take to Dealer they can get it open without breaking. this applies to BMW only.

P.s another reason too, I have manual is my wife cannot drive manual so it is truly my car :)

v8shoguy

imported post

Not a BMW, and not going to the dealer if I can help it. Need a warmer day...

SlackwareRobert

imported post

The biggest problem is if the dealer has a "no gun" sign:uhoh: Once it is opened they charge you
for the 'repair' then have you removed by the cops.
But are you saying that you can't get at the bottom hinge screws to the glove box?
I've never seen one like that, but could also be another design flaw to keep you out
of those killer airbag regions.
You might try posting the question on Batauto, they might have a suggestion on how to get into it.

notswift

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
1. With an Ohio CHL or recognized credential from another state, carry in glove box or closed center console is legal, locked or otherwise.

2. If your wife who does not have a CHL and is alone in the car with a loaded firearm, that is a crime.

3. If you have a CHL and are in the car, it doesn't matter who's driving, so long as the loaded firearm is carried in accordance with the ORC (in holster on YOUR body, in glove box, in center console, in closed container, etc.).
Question ( I am new to guns): If the new castle law in Ohio gives your wife the right to 'not flee' and plug the thug trying to 'jack' the car while she is in it and somehow the glovebox pops open and the gun lands in her hand and 'lo and behold' a miracle shot between the crimimals beady eyes saves her life... has she committed a crime by having a gun concealed in the glovebox? ... by the way, what kind of idiotic law is it that says a hunter can roll down the road with a rack of rifles in his truck,but, a city slicker can't mount a miny rack in his family sedan to hang his steel on?

v8shoguy

imported post

Potential situation averted, I got it open just before I spent 2 weeks in a place with no internet. It's good to have my piece back. :)

Deanimator

imported post

notswift wrote:
Deanimator wrote:

Question ( I am new to guns): If the new castle law in Ohio gives your wife the right to 'not flee' and plug the thug trying to 'jack' the car while she is in it and somehow the glovebox pops open and the gun lands in her hand and 'lo and behold' a miracle shot between the crimimals beady eyes saves her life... has she committed a crime by having a gun concealed in the glovebox? ... by the way, what kind of idiotic law is it that says a hunter can roll down the road with a rack of rifles in his truck,but, a city slicker can't mount a miny rack in his family sedan to hang his steel on?
I believe that she has an "affirmative defense" to whatever the charge would be.

Legba

imported post

You can have a gun rack in any kind of car in Ohio - not just pickups (funny but you almost never see gun racks here any more - used to be common when I was a kid). Also, they got rid of the affirmative defense for carrying a concealed handgun. Even with the "castle doctrine" allowing her a presumption of self-defense in shooting an assailant from her car, she still has to transport the thing unloaded (empty mags) unless she has the carry permit. There still is, oddly enough, an affirmative defense for transporting a loaded long gun in a vehicle, however, whether or not you have a carry permit. Pretty fine hairsplitting, eh?

-ljp

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Yes, but in a messy divorce, you plant the loaded gun in her glovebox, and
call the police.:shock:

You would be surprised how fast the unloaded pistol in glovebox got loaded
and used when a car jacking happens.
I will affirm under oath that she can load a mag, and defend herself
in the time a robber takes to open the door. Let the dead guy say otherwise.

Legba

imported post

I have no comment about messy divorces except - is there any other kind?... As for the rest, that's all well and good unless it's a cop tossing your car instead of an assailant. To date, I've been carjacked once, and I've been run to jail over transporting guns once, so I couldn't say that either is the more likely. Your call.

-ljp

v8shoguy

imported post

Legba, weren't the car-jackers LEOs? Alot of good carrying a handgun does to prevent those kind of crimes.

:)

Legba

imported post

Well, in a very real sense, the cops in my case committed higway robbery, but I was also carjacked by a non-LEO before. I was not carrying when that individual accosted me, alas.

-ljp

Lthrnck

imported post

V8,

You said you holstered your primary weapon. But closed the glovebox and then it would not reopen?

So why didn't you just shoot the lock off with your primary..:idea::what::lol::dude::celebrate