Thread: VA Gov. Candidate McAuliffe backs repeal of Dillon rule - code for supports local gun control??

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...prss=rss_metro)

SNIP

"In Richmond, McAuliffe began to flesh out his views on policy. . . . He said
    he also wants to weaken the Dillon Rule by making it easier for local
    governments to pass laws and raise taxes."

Both Democratic candidates Moran and Deeds voted for full preemption in 2004 (HB 530)

Post imported post

Here's something I've never been able to quite wrap my mind around.... Virginia is a Commonwealth. By the nature of a Commonwealth organization of government v. state... we (in theory) should be more predisposed to Home Rule.

So how is it - that instead, we are a Dillon Rule state.. er, Commonwealth?

Post imported post

"Home rule" does not allow localities to violate inalienable rights. The VA Constitution and the legislature have simply chosen to ensure this.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Armed wrote:
    Here's something I've never been able to quite wrap my mind around.... Virginia is a Commonwealth. By the nature of a Commonwealth organization of government v. state... we (in theory) should be more predisposed to Home Rule.

So how is it - that instead, we are a Dillon Rule state.. er, Commonwealth?
    Can you provide any cite to authority as to what differnce it makes if a state calls itself a "Commonwealth" rather than a state?

I do'nt think there is any difference - as a federal constitutional matter, localities exist at the pleasure of the state. The "Dillon rule" is a state law construction that locvalities only have the power explicitly delegated to them. "Preemption" is a name given to statutes expressly restricting power grants to lcoalities so that there is no misunderstanding.

Post imported post

We may have a chance to upset the Dems in there primary. Remember VA is an open primary state. Since Bob McDonnell is un-opposed for the GOP nomination we need to vote for the weakest Democrat in there race for the nomination.