• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA Gov. Candidate McAuliffe backs repeal of Dillon rule - code for supports local gun control??

Mike

Site Co-Founder

Armed

imported post

Here's something I've never been able to quite wrap my mind around.... Virginia is a Commonwealth. By the nature of a Commonwealth organization of government v. state... we (in theory) should be more predisposed to Home Rule.

So how is it - that instead, we are a Dillon Rule state.. er, Commonwealth?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Armed wrote:
Here's something I've never been able to quite wrap my mind around.... Virginia is a Commonwealth. By the nature of a Commonwealth organization of government v. state... we (in theory) should be more predisposed to Home Rule.

So how is it - that instead, we are a Dillon Rule state.. er, Commonwealth?
Can you provide any cite to authority as to what differnce it makes if a state calls itself a "Commonwealth" rather than a state?

I do'nt think there is any difference - as a federal constitutional matter, localities exist at the pleasure of the state. The "Dillon rule" is a state law construction that locvalities only have the power explicitly delegated to them. "Preemption" is a name given to statutes expressly restricting power grants to lcoalities so that there is no misunderstanding.

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

We may have a chance to upset the Dems in there primary. Remember VA is an open primary state. Since Bob McDonnell is un-opposed for the GOP nomination we need to vote for the weakest Democrat in there race for the nomination.