Thread: Who Needs A Gun At Church?

Post imported post

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/new...112621/175045/

Pastor attacked at Henrico church

By Staff Reports

Published: January 11, 2009

-- A pastor is in the hospital following an attack yesterday in which he was beaten and stabbed at his Henrico County church, police said.

The Rev. James Bullock, pastor of First Free Will Baptist Church on Hungary Road, was in the church alone about 8:15 a.m. when two men came in and demanded money, according to police and a church representative.

Bullock was beaten and stabbed after he told the men there was no safe in the church, said Henrico police Lt. Charles Ferrigno.

He suffered two small stab wounds and is expected to recover. He was taken to VCU Medical Center.

One of the pastor's attackers is described as a heavyset white man about 5-foot-9 who appeared to be in his mid-40s and was wearing a black coat and blue jeans.

The other assailant is said to be a muscular-looking white man from 5-foot-4 to 5-foot-6 with a thin mustache and shoulder-length dark brown hair with long bangs and long sideburns. He was wearing a brown plaid shirt with baggy blue jeans.

Anyone with information is asked to call Henrico police at (804) 501-5000.

Post imported post

This happened in a very good part of town. Lots and lots of families. No doubt that drugs played a role.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

5 minutes from my house
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

T Dubya wrote:
    This happened in a very good part of town. Lots and lots of families. No doubt that drugs played a role.
    Perhaps you need to visit with the Henrico Police and ask for the crimes against persons and property in zip code 23294. Your area has a much higher crime rate than my city of Richmond neighborhood. For that fact I thank everyone who lives in your good part of town.

The topic title is misleading, the Pastor would have just cause if he or she so chose.

Post imported post

My wife is a church secretary and is alone in church a lot. She has been talking about carrying in church while working so this may be a good enough reason for her to start.

State Researcher

Post imported post

So, who still thinks there is not "good and sufficient reason" to carry in church?
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Post imported post

kenny wrote:
    T Dubya wrote:
    Perhaps you need to visit with the Henrico Police and ask for the crimes against persons and property in zip code 23294. Your area has a much higher crime rate than my city of Richmond neighborhood. For that fact I thank everyone who lives in your good part of town.

The topic title is misleading, the Pastor would have just cause if he or she so chose.
    Are you for real?
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Post imported post

I have long contemplated carring to church butI was under the impression it was in the state code as prohibited.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    5 minutes from my house
    Mine as well. One more reason to look at repealing or changing the vagueness of §18.2-283 (No CCW in a Place of Worship During Religious Service "Without Good and Sufficient Reason")
    Find businesses that are pro gun...and those that aren't. Friend or Foe - Version 2 is online!

Post imported post

altajava wrote:
    I have long contemplated carring to church but*I was under the impression it was in the state code as prohibited.
    Ifnyou really have concerns ask your pastor for permission

I really see "sufficent" reason as wanting to protect your family

But, concealed means concealed

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
    Mine as well. One more reason to look at repealing or changing the vagueness of §18.2-283 (No CCW in a Place of Worship During Religious Service "Without Good and Sufficient Reason")
    IMO, its to ouradvantage to leave it vague.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Since it is only punishable by misdemeanor, I suppose it doesn't really hurt to leave it alone. I'd rather see it repealed though as I really don't see the rationale behind that statue.
    Find businesses that are pro gun...and those that aren't. Friend or Foe - Version 2 is online!

Post imported post

Armed wrote:
    http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/new...112621/175045/

Pastor attacked at Henrico church

By Staff Reports

Published: January 11, 2009

-- A pastor is in the hospital following an attack yesterday in which he was beaten and stabbed at his Henrico County church, police said.

The Rev. James Bullock, pastor of First Free Will Baptist Church on Hungary Road, was in the church alone about 8:15 a.m. when two men came in and demanded money, according to police and a church representative.

Bullock was beaten and stabbed after he told the men there was no safe in the church, said Henrico police Lt. Charles Ferrigno.

He suffered two small stab wounds and is expected to recover. He was taken to VCU Medical Center.

One of the pastor's attackers is described as a heavyset white man about 5-foot-9 who appeared to be in his mid-40s and was wearing a black coat and blue jeans.

The other assailant is said to be a muscular-looking white man from 5-foot-4 to 5-foot-6 with a thin mustache and shoulder-length dark brown hair with long bangs and long sideburns. He was wearing a brown plaid shirt with baggy blue jeans.

Anyone with information is asked to call Henrico police at (804) 501-5000.
    2 things - the enhanced area listed above would take the "place" out of it IMO. At 8:15 on a Saturday morning, alone, ain't no religious service going on.

Second - ME LIKEY MY PASTOR! Did everything but directly ask me to carry whenever there (oh, that's twice Sunday, Wed. nights, and any time I come by the pre-school while my wife's working).

AND.....he has his own too...

Post imported post

Currently waiting for my CHP in NC.

While in our large, downtown Raleigh United Methodist Church about a year ago, a guy in street clothes walked in and sat down about three rows in front of my wife and me. This is a traditional old church so everyone is wearing traditional "church clothes" but we welcome visitors anytime. We were seated about 10 rows from the back.

During the sermon, this fellow stood up and shouted "Amen!" and remained standing. I immediately took noticed and saw that he had a small canvass bag with him. I was so surprised at this that I wasn't sure if I should react.I quickly and quietly told my wife toget on the floorif "it gets ugly."

An older man beside the visitor stood up and tugged at the guys arm, to lead him out. I was ready to help but the visitor responded to the tugging and walked out. A few minutes later, the visitor returned to the last row with the older man sitting beside him. The visitor was quiet for the rest of the service.

Shortly after, I sent a letter to our Minister asking if he might want to organize a group of members who can have some kind of training to deal with this kind of incident. Or to at least have some kind of procedure for this. He never responded.

I don't plan to CC in church but I have definitely thought about it. And I will certainly request a meeting with our new Minister.

Post imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
    One more reason to look at repealing or changing the vagueness of §18.2-283 (No CCW in a Place of Worship During Religious Service "Without Good and Sufficient Reason")
    I believe that obeying the direct commandments of Jesus is always a "good and sufficient reason".