• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Citizens Self Defense Act of 2009

neddis

imported post

That bill will never make it through.
It makes far too much sense - the average politician will never support it.

Oh yeah, and it got referred to a committee. It will just sit there.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Well time to inundate our local congress critters with letters, as well as to incoming pres Obama just to make a point. Post this on all the gunboards you hang out on, and write letters to the newspapers you read. Push this as hard as possible.

grishnav

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
grishnav wrote:
On the surface, reads as unconstitutional to me, but who respects that document any more anyway...
How is this an unconstitutional act?
Violation of state sovereignty, by codifying a new right to be enforced against the states (keep in mind, the 2A hasn't been incorporated... yet).

But who respects state sovereignty any more anyway...

joeroket

imported post

grishnav wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
grishnav wrote:
On the surface, reads as unconstitutional to me, but who respects that document any more anyway...
How is this an unconstitutional act?
Violation of state sovereignty, by codifying a new right to be enforced against the states (keep in mind, the 2A hasn't been incorporated... yet).

But who respects state sovereignty any more anyway...
The enforcement of it is up to the citizens. There is no federal enforcement unless a citizen files suit in a federal court.

I guess I just don't read it the same way that you do. It could go either way I guess. At any rate it would be up to a court to decide. Besides it is not like unconstitutional laws haven't been passed before. It is about time we try to get one passed that limits the states instead of the state trying to limit us.