• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Partial Concealment on Open Carry without CPL

silent_killer

imported post

Is there anything in the MCL that states partial concealment is deemed illegal? I was always told for open carry that the pistol must be 100% in plain view (a holster carry is legal) but the pistol could not be tucked in the waist of your pants, even if the handle was in plain view.

Can anyone better my knowledge on this, and maybe point me to an MCL that states this clearer?

Thanks

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

That is the question of the moment. Until there is case law, it appears that the definition of what you propose could be considered concealed, although many would argue it is able to be viewed and therefore "open carry" XD-40's advice is very prudent until the matter is resolved with definitive case law, as there is little in the MCL to help (we do know that carry in vehicle IS considered concealed) Getting charged & convicted of a felony really is no fun :cry:

taxwhat

imported post

silent_killer wrote:
Is there anything in the MCL that states partial concealment is deemed illegal? I was always told for open carry that the pistol must be 100% in plain view (a holster carry is legal) but the pistol could not be tucked in the waist of your pants, even if the handle was in plain view.

Can anyone better my knowledge on this, and maybe point me to an MCL that states this clearer?

Thanks
Hi and Welcome

Bronson

imported post

discerningshootist wrote:
I can get you a great leather holster for the CW40 for not much more than a serpa.

Thanks, but I'm set on the leather. I've got a nice concealment holster (no retention strap)that I bought and an OC holster (with retention strap) that I made. Iwas just hoping they'd make a Serpa because I do like their retention system better than a strap.

Thanks again though, and thanks for supportingthe causeand Michigan craftsmen with your store. When I get up that way to visit my dad this summer I'll try to stop in.

Bronson