• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Meeting

acritical

imported post

SPRINGFIELD_45_ACP wrote:
That was a excellent summation ARTICAL.However race should have been left out all together..............................
Ok, I can respect that. All please ignore the comment that I made with reference to race. It was a lame attempt at easing the tension felt by some, while at the same time getting my point across.

However, it was a valid statement, for even though many of us have developed enough to see past race, it is still a valid a documented definition of what some consider to be a "gang". But in that same respect as race should have nothing to do with the fact that 15 - 20 people are together at the same place, so should the fact that 15 - 20 people together should have nothing to do with the fact that they are carrying firearms, when done in a legal manner.

Springfield 45 ACP, I see your point, and I withdraw....

rlk

imported post

acritical, you have a good summary (except for the racial comments), and I hope that we are fortunate enough for it to end the way you describe.

I don't see any more point in beating this dead horse. Some of us will just have to agree to disagree.

rlk

no carry permit ?

imported post

RLK: Why don't you come to our next open carry dinner ? You would quickly see that your fears of it causing a problem are unrealistic.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

no carry permit ? wrote:
RLK: Why don't you come to our next open carry dinner ? You would quickly see that your fears of it causing a problem are unrealistic.

He'd probably just argue that it wouldn't be the same situation. Instead of 15-20 armed patrons, it'd be 14-19 armed andone not armed (visibly, anyway). That of course would completely throw off the rest of the scenario.

Ok, sorry, now I'm just being antagonistic :D. Seriously though you should come!

ga_repoman

imported post

i say we all get together and sit down to discuss it
what do you say to meeting at Arby's

Mungo

imported post

Sadly, I had a very similar discussion with a former LEO. So, I can sort of see where rlk is coming from and heading.

This former LEO made a compelling argument. My whole desire to open carry stems from basically educating the public. Yes, see me carrying a weapon and ask me about it. Let me tell you that armed law abiding citizens makes places more safe. Let me also tell you that there is no law against carrying open, with a few exceptions.

The former LEO's argument was this. Homosexuals have tried for years to educate the public about alternate lifestyles: parades, open displays of affection, the recent press for legal marriages, etc... However, some people are put off by this and the attempt to educate people actually works against them for those intolerant of alternative lifestyles. He said walking around in public does the same for gun rights.

:banghead:

The only sad thing was, I was so put back by his argument, I could think of a retort. So I said the only thing I could think of... "So... you're gay?" OK - so that didn't go well.

There is a chance that open carry will turn some people against guns. Educating them that it's legal to carry may make them more prone to support attempt to curtail gun ownership privileges. But, hopefully, this is the minority of people.

Quite honestly? I'd love to meet many of you out for an OC dinner somewhere and have rlk's scenarios take place. Twenty people being detained for carrying firearms in public is BOUND to hit the news.

ga_repoman

imported post

As much as I would hate to have to say it
You buddy makes a good point
Sometimes it is hard to see a topic from an opposing point of view

:dude::dude::dude::cool::cool::cool::cool::celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:what::what::what::what:

rlk

imported post

Mongo, thanks for posting your thoughts.

I believe many people are overlooking my main point which is if we cause another business to post a "No Firearms Allowed" sign, then we have taken a step backwards.

Your friend mentioned "walking around in public does the same for gun rights." My interpretation of your friend's statement is something to the effect of, "Large groups of people walking around in pubic while displaying their firearms does the same for gun rights."

In my opinion, I don't think the average citizen cares or maybe even notices a single individual carrying a firearm. I do think the level of awareness is raised considerably when a large number of people are grouped together while displaying their firearms.

Using myself as an example, if I were to pull into the parking lot of a business, and see a large number of people entering the building or standing in the parking lot, and most are displaying firearms, I would not enter that business. I'm sure some on this forum will take issue with my position saying that no laws are being broken and I'm a weakling, etc., but it is my job to keep my family safe and I take this responsibility seriously.

Again, thanks for posting your thoughts.

rlk

Mungo

imported post

I don't really understand that argument.

20 individuals with holstered firearms do not alarm me at all. A holstered firearm has never hurt anyone aside from Barney Fife.

Crooks and criminals? How many have ever worn a holster? Crooks and criminals have too much to loose to openly carry a firearm.

In fact, twenty people sitting in a place of business conducting themselves, not just in a legal manner, but a courteous manner, would go a long way to promote the positive side of gun ownership and carrying.

Sure, you're always going to have a few wingnuts who are just deathly afraid of firearms. These are the same types of people who won't gt on elevators or the ones who wash their hands 5,000 times a day. But we can't take elevators out of buildings and we can't eradicate germs and bacteria.

The rebuttal that I wanted to say to my friend is that homosexual awareness has in fact made progress in our society. There are laws protecting them and good or bad, they are even making progress on legal unions.

I am all for open carry, individually or in a group.

Besides, in this economy, who would the restaurateur most likely cater towards? Twenty hungry open carrying guys (and gals) or one nervous Nelly?

It's plain ignorance that would keep anyone from entering an establishment filled with open carry patrons. Using the same analogy, do you fear shaking the hand of a gay man with AIDS, or have we learned otherwise. The same goes for open carry.

NoGlock4U

imported post

rlk wrote:
Using myself as an example, if I were to pull into the parking lot of a business, and see a large number of people entering the building or standing in the parking lot, and most are displaying firearms, I would not enter that business.
Even if they were law enforcement?

What if law enforcement was also there with the crowd of open carriers and enjoying a meal?

What if you ran out of gas and had to push your vehicle into a gas station, looked up and noticed that everyone open carrying, would you still pump gas there or keep pushing to the next gas station?

Just like you... "I can still see my scenario playing out."

Also.... out of curiosity, do you own any firearms?

rlk

imported post

NoGlock4U wrote:

What if law enforcement was also there with the crowd of open carriers and enjoying a meal?

What if you ran out of gas and had to push your vehicle into a gas station, looked up and noticed that everyone open carrying, would you still pump gas there or keep pushing to the next gas station?

Just like you... "I can still see my scenario playing out."

Also.... out of curiosity, do you own any firearms?
No problem with law enforcement as I feel they have been properly trained.

Pushing my vehicle into a gas station is not an option, as that's what Triple A is for.

I have a concealed carry permit, and own several firearms. Have a BlackWidow on order as well as a Rossi 357.

rlk

JDriver1.8t

imported post

What if they were all detectives who were wearing suits, but had taken their jackets off because of the warm weather. You wouldn't know from your distance that they were all cops. All you see is guns because that is all you want to see. Do you still keep going, and not stop?

ohdag19

imported post

rlk wrote:
Using myself as an example, if I were to pull into the parking lot of a business, and see a large number of people entering the building or standing in the parking lot, and most are displaying firearms, I would not enter that business.
Displaying firearms and open carrying firearms are two different things. Are you trying to say if you pull up and 15-20 peeps are holstered you aren't going to eat there?

JDriver1.8t

imported post

2offroad wrote:
rlk wrote:
NoGlock4U wrote:

rlk
Sadly, I find this very funny.

Me as well.
Their proper training is what is going to have them busting down the restraurant doors with guns drawn and hundreds of signs posted with no carry, remmember?

acritical

imported post

JDriver1.8t wrote:
2offroad wrote:
rlk wrote:
NoGlock4U wrote:

rlk
Sadly, I find this very funny.

Me as well.
Their proper training is what is going to have them busting down the restraurant doors with guns drawn and hundreds of signs posted with no carry, remmember?
Also, let's not forget that the majority of firearms that are left unattended or neglected just happens to be by these "properly trained" individuals.