• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

identify this munition

Wyoming

imported post

jeeper1 wrote:
As far as I know, the military's smallest SLAP round is .50 BMG,

From http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/marinefacts/blslap.htm 7.62 was the smallest.
[font="Arial, Helvetica"]The 7.62mm effort was not successful in the M60 and caused catastrophic barrel failures due to in-bore break-up of the sabot and the penetrator puncturing the side of the barrel. Also, its increase in penetration was not on the same order of magnitude as the .50 caliber[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica"][/font]
Not all together true. In about 1988/89 I was at Picatinny Arsenal and met the engineering team who developed the SLAP rounds for the USMC. They gave me three dummy rounds: .50, 7.62 (.308), and 5.56 (.223). The 7.62 was not developed for the M60, but rather for use in either an M14 or similar semi-automatic or a bolt action rifle. the 5.56 worked fine in the M16A1, but was too light to be very effective. I still have the three slightly tarnishedrounds on my desk.