• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Online Petition to Repeal the Virginia Restaurant Ban on Concealed Carry

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Signed as #55. I do however have serious heartburn with:

7. Because of this 1995 change in Virginia's concealed weapons law:

a) Violent criminals know that restaurant patrons are defenseless prey.

b) Law-abiding citizens may be at risk not only at dinner, but when walking to and from their car in a dark, secluded parking lot.

c) Law-abiding citizens may be forced to unnecessarily handle and unsafely store their loaded firearm in an unattended vehicle while in a restaurant.

The only place where this would even be a problem would be where openly carried firearms are already prohibited by state law, which areas are few and far between, especially with consideration of where a restaurant or club that serves alcohol is involved. I thinkthat the wholeof the petition would benefit greatly by the removal of this statement outright. It is disingenious and anyone with a decent handle on state firearms laws would see it immediately. I agree with the intent of the petition, but this statement should be removed since these sorts of statement do little to give credence to our cause as a whole and to our credibility when reciting the law.

Looking back I wish I had not signed this petition until the statement was modified.

darthmord

imported post

I agree. That statement should be changed to reflect those places where OC is otherwise prohibited but CC is not.

Or even remove it entirely. There are reported cases of people having firearms stolen from their vehicles because they were forced to disarm to enter and unscrupulous people overheard / saw what was going on.

Still, worthy of signing, not to mention that current regulations would imply a state / commonwealth sanctioned violation of equal protection due to the commonwealth lawyers being able to carry but permitted CWP holders cannot in restaurants serving alcohol for consumption on-site.

FMCDH

imported post

Good luck all! :)

I find the restrictions on "under 21 areas" to be bad enough in Washington state. I don't even drink and I can't take an otherwise legally carried firearm into a bar to have dinner with friends or family. Harsh penalty's for those who publicly carry a firearm while intoxicated should be the only restriction of this type. IMHO

Hope you guys get what you want!

Regards from Washington.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I think this is bein' kicked around the AZ legislature now. (For the same arguments)

I especially dislike leavin' my weapon unattendedin the vehicle. Good luck with this in VA.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

jmelvin wrote:
Signed as #55. I do however have serious heartburn with:

7. Because of this 1995 change in Virginia's concealed weapons law:

a) Violent criminals know that restaurant patrons are defenseless prey.

b) Law-abiding citizens may be at risk not only at dinner, but when walking to and from their car in a dark, secluded parking lot.

c) Law-abiding citizens may be forced to unnecessarily handle and unsafely store their loaded firearm in an unattended vehicle while in a restaurant.

The only place where this would even be a problem would be where openly carried firearms are already prohibited by state law, which areas are few and far between, especially with consideration of where a restaurant or club that serves alcohol is involved. I thinkthat the wholeof the petition would benefit greatly by the removal of this statement outright. It is disingenious and anyone with a decent handle on state firearms laws would see it immediately. I agree with the intent of the petition, but this statement should be removed since these sorts of statement do little to give credence to our cause as a whole and to our credibility when reciting the law.

Looking back I wish I had not signed this petition until the statement was modified.

I see your point, but the petition cannot be changed once you start it - that's the rule to prevent folks from changing a doc somebody else signed.

But also, the petition is a tool aimed at the legislature to get a change in the law - as a practical matter, many or most gun owners do not open carry, especially in restuarants due to this law; many people thus leave their guns at home or handle them to leave them in cars inviting criminal activity; rest. owners sometimes ban OC even though they have no policy against CC. Many women carry in their purses and not in belt holsters nor do their clothese lend themselves to a holster so the rest. ban as a pfractical matter creates a victim disarmement zone.

Thundar

imported post

But, but, butthe important class of people is exempted from this asinine law.

I did not sign thepetition because I think it would be better if everybody had to open carry in bars, including police, prosecutors and dog catchers.

Alaska carry is what we need. Anything less is compromise.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

Signed: #115

It is only right that this one pass because every time I go to Chipotle Mexican Grill in Springfield, I always draw attention to myself (which is never my intention). The "previous" bill (I am glad that it failed because it was not practical lettinga restaurant repknow that you were carrying, then, they decidewhether or notyou can carry concealed in their establishment) would have been a travesty to our cause (IMHO).

I will be forwarding this link to many VA residents!!

2nd Amendment........Use it........Or, lose it!!:X