• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Online Petition to Repeal the Virginia Restaurant Ban on Concealed Carry

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

Mike wrote:
Smurfologist wrote:
By active CCW, I meant that one had a CCW that was not expired (I did not know if 2a4all ever had a CCW or not).

I stand corrected. I will assume by your post that you can (indeed) OC or CC while drinking alcohol legally. However, if you are OCing and intoxicated, you are not violatingstated law; if you are in the said state and are CCing, you are in violation of stated law, right? If the police see you drinking alcohol while OCing at, let's say, Chipotle Mexican Restaurant, you leave and start CCing, will the police have "probable cause" to check to see if you are (in fact) intoxicated (just curious)?
I was suggesting the term CCW makes no sense - one of my little quirks - I think it helps to speak plainly and correctly on gun rights issues as so many people have no idea what we are talking abour.

Public intoxication ("PI") is unlawful even in a restaurant as a class 4 misdemeanor. In my personal opinion, and without spending hours searching for cases, merely drinking alcohol would not rise to the level of reasonable suspicion to conduct an investigative seizure of a person, but the police may investigate and conduct a copnsensual encounter. PI requires no BAC evidence nor is anyone (who is not a driver of a vehicle) required to submit to BAC checks on police demand.

Take a look at 18.2-308(J1).

Gotcha Mike. I will do what you suggest when it comes to CCW.

As always, you are a wealth of information when it comes to carry laws. I only gave the scenario I did because I see FCP (Fairfax County Police) at the bowling alley right off of Edsall Road in Alexandria and they observe patrons drinking (they actually come inside), then, they do not hesitate to pull them over to check them out as soon as they change lanes improperly (I am being sarcastic). I know this happens because I know people that it has happened to.

I do appreciate the information and I will look at 18.2-308(J1). Thanks for all of your work for ourcause!!

2nd Amendment.......Use it.......Or, lose it!!:X

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

2a4all wrote:
2a4all wrote:
Mrs. 2A4ALL & I both signed.

But, if I carry openly, do I get to drink?
Let me clarify.

The question (if the CC in restaurants bill passes as proposed) is: If one CCs in an alcohol-serving restaurant, one can't consume alcohol. However, if one chooses to OC instead, may one choose to imbibe?

What happens if one enters while CCing and informs the designated employee, but then later decides to switch to OC? Will it be legal for the establishment serve him/her?

What about the reverse? If one enters OCing, has a drink, then later switches to CC (puts on a jacket or sweater because it's chilly), must (s)he then inform the designated employee of the new status, and not drink further?

Is any burden placed on the establishment?

Clearly, carrying is part of the equation. If a CHP holder leaves his/her firearm at home before going out, surely none of this applies.

Imbibe........I have to start putting this word in my literary repertoire (smile).

You raise some good questions. I am wondering how this will all work myself. I hope someone will lay it all out for us.

2nd Amendment........Use it.........Or, lose it!!:X

wylde007

imported post

2a4all wrote:
If a CHP holder leaves his/her firearm at home before going out, surely none of this applies.
If you leave your firearm at home before going out, aren't you sidestepping the real problem to begin with... your CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to arm and defend yourself?

:banghead:

FMCDH

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
2a4all wrote:
If a CHP holder leaves his/her firearm at home before going out, surely none of this applies.
If you leave your firearm at home before going out, aren't you sidestepping the real problem to begin with... your CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to arm and defend yourself?

:banghead:
Of course, if you need to leave your firearm at home because you doubt your ability to not drink to the point of inebriation, or physical effect, then you may be side stepping another problem. :?

The responsible thing to due is leave it at home or in your car safe if you go drinking. In some states and situations it may even be prudent to put your firearm in the trust of the designated driver, or just make sure the designated driver is armed.

The point is, everyone sounds and acts (especially acts) dubber when their drunk than they think they do. Be honest with yourself about what you expect to happen when you go out, and plan accordingly.

Alexcabbie

imported post

good gravy, it is about time they repealed this ridiculous ban. For once I would like to go someplace without resorting to the dorky-looking "Virginia Tuck" which makes you look like a retard with a cap pistol.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

RMD wrote:
Just joined and signed #5527
Welcome aboard lots of good info and people here.

Hope that you avail yourself of the many benefits.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Blaidd wrote:
The original intent of this thread was to let all of the members of the General Assembly know where we stood and what we expected of them. Collectively they came through adequately enough to pass the bill but not enough to over ride the probable veto from Kaine.

As you can see, activity on this thread has dropped off since it was sent to the governor's desk - few of us harbor any positive feelings regarding how much he cares about commoners defending themselves or that we might push him into signing it by our numbers.

Nevertheless I welcome you to this forum and thank you for your willingness to stand up and be counted. The struggle to regain our rights is most often fought one day, one battle and one person at a time.

Yata hey

Alexcabbie

imported post

Hey Grapeshot; you think some of us are losing heart??

NOT THIS GUY.

Especially since EVERY DAY I have to look at - since it is right across from my doorstep - the headquarters of the Terry McAuliffe campaign for Governor. And I cannot decide what would be worse as Governor of Virginia, that quiffe McAuliffe or "Bugs" Moran's kid.

If it were in my power I would draw a line from Sterling through Fairfax City right down to Woodbridge and round uo all the poodle-walking TofuTurkey eating jerks who have infested this area since the early 1980s and force them to swim back across the Potomac to where they belong. THEN I would dynamite all the bridges and Metro tunnels.

Unfortunately, that is not gonna happen anytime soon, so my alternate plan is to VOTE LIKE HELL and as the Sergeant Major says, keep my powder dry. And if time comes to provide an example of SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS, then as you say: "Yata Hey"; It is a good day to die.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Hey Grapeshot; you think some of us are losing heart??

NOT THIS GUY.

Especially since EVERY DAY I have to look at - since it is right across from my doorstep - the headquarters of the Terry McAuliffe campaign for Governor. And I cannot decide what would be worse as Governor of Virginia, that quiffe McAuliffe or "Bugs" Moran's kid.

If it were in my power I would draw a line from Sterling through Fairfax City right down to Woodbridge and round uo all the poodle-walking TofuTurkey eating jerks who have infested this area since the early 1980s and force them to swim back across the Potomac to where they belong. THEN I would dynamite all the bridges and Metro tunnels.

Unfortunately, that is not gonna happen anytime soon, so my alternate plan is to VOTE LIKE HELL and as the Sergeant Major says, keep my powder dry. And if time comes to provide an example of SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS, then as you say: "Yata Hey"; It is a good day to die.
I think that some never had the heart in the first place - others are too complacent - still others will rant but ultimately accept what is granted them.

There are many that are trying to bring positive improvement to the system through the proscribed methods - myself included - hope it works.

Yes and it is also not the worst of days to live.................yet.

Yata hey

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

i tlooks like TN WILL repeal their rest ban this year - bill passed both houses in slightly diff versions expected to be reconciled. SC has a bill pending. VA needs to get this done next year for sure. Even under Kaine we are now close to veto override in the VA senate.