• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new member Linden

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Kicker42 wrote:
Hello I found you through http://www.whenshtf.com/index.php
and I did not know that open carry was allowed in MI. Any suggestions on running it past the local LEO. I would feel strange but if it is legal then why shouldn't I do it. Still it will feel strange. But also take worrying about someone seeing my CP while out and about.
Welcome and read the info threads at the top of the forum.

We don't recommend you ask your local chief, as our experience is that they will say yes it's legal, but then tell you several myths about why you shouldn't OC. Or they will say no it's not legal and what does that get you? We have yet to hear of a chief say, "Why yes it's legal and my department encourageseveryone that can lawfully OC to do so." I doubt this will happen.

If you feel you must contact your local police we have a police info download with a generic letter and info on the legality of OC that you can email or send to your local chief.

quarter horseman

imported post

Kicker42 wrote:
Hello I found you through http://www.whenshtf.com/index.php
and I did not know that open carry was allowed in MI. Any suggestions on running it past the local LEO. I would feel strange but if it is legal then why shouldn't I do it. Still it will feel strange. But also take worrying about someone seeing my CP while out and about.
Hello Kicker42 and welcome

Hcidem

imported post

Welcome to OCDO, Kicker42. Thanks for the link. Its good to know how word is getting out.

Our group had a recent event in Burton, not too far from you. Its too bad you missed it. It sounds like they had a good time. You could have learned a lot if you have been able to attend.

Kicker42

imported post

Well I called the state police in Flint, and asked them Where you CANT open carry in Michigan and he said there are no restriction under Michigan state law but that I should check local ordinances to comply with them.

So I called Argentine and asked them, guess what the woman I talked to in the police department had know Idea what I was talking about. I told her to call the state police and she said she would have to check into it and get back with me.
It is amazing that it is not common knowledge about open carry in MI. We are not a bunch of tofu eating tree hugging pacifist here in MI I really am surprised that I never heard about OC in MI. Thank you . This is the best kept secret ever

Kicker42

imported post

Hcidem wrote:
Welcome to OCDO, Kicker42. Thanks for the link. Its good to know how word is getting out.

Our group had a recent event in Burton, not too far from you. Its too bad you missed it. It sounds like they had a good time. You could have learned a lot if you have been able to attend.
Well I m a member of the Linden sportsman club here in linden and I will be passing this around. I hope to get together with you guys at the next get together.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Welcome to OCDO Kicker. I lived in Argentine a few years before moving to Burton. I had a doublewide at Pineridgeoff ofSilver Lake Road & McCaslin Lake Road.

joshuaeberly

imported post

Kicker42 wrote:
Well I called the state police in Flint, and asked them Where you CANT open carry in Michigan and he said there are no restriction under Michigan state law but that I should check local ordinances to comply with them.

So I called Argentine and asked them, guess what the woman I talked to in the police department had know Idea what I was talking about. I told her to call the state police and she said she would have to check into it and get back with me.
It is amazing that it is not common knowledge about open carry in MI. We are not a bunch of tofu eating tree hugging pacifist here in MI I really am surprised that I never heard about OC in MI. Thank you . This is the best kept secret ever

check this thread, the state boys told you wrong. there are restrictions on location for OC in MI, although many of those locations become available OC'ing with a CPL (just as many CPL restrictions are available for OC with/without a CPL)
and local ordinances don't mean squat.
the cites are contained in this thread.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/13328.html

Kicker42

imported post

Yep I read it. I also printed out the LEO-1 Doc and will give it to my local law enforcement ,and will post the info at Linden Sportsman Club.
Thanks .
When the state police officer confirmed that open carry is legal I felt like I won the lotto. I had to contain my self. Not that I will carry open all the time but it would be nice in the summer, or if Im riding my bike. There would be times were it would be convenient. So can you carry open in a place that serves alcohol? I am sure that the law still is you can not drink and carry but it would be nice to have it while eating a burger at Hooters .thanks

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Kicker42 wrote:
Yep I read it. I also printed out the LEO-1 Doc and will give it to my local law enforcement ,and will post the info at Linden Sportsman Club.
Thanks .
When the state police officer confirmed that open carry is legal I felt like I won the lotto. I had to contain my self. Not that I will carry open all the time but it would be nice in the summer, or if Im riding my bike. There would be times were it would be convenient. So can you carry open in a place that serves alcohol? I am sure that the law still is you can not drink and carry but it would be nice to have it while eating a burger at Hooters .thanks

If you have a CPL and you CC into an establishment that serves alcohol for on-site consumption then the 51% rule applies.

If you have a CPL you may OC in said establishment regardless of income by alcohol. However, with it being private property they may ask you to store the gun in your vehicle or even leave the premises.

Kicker42

imported post

The 51 percent rule? Im guessing if I CC then the rules apply to CPL bylaws, from what I read you cant carry open in a place that serves alcohol but. You would have to explain that to me. The privet property I understand.

Thanks for the reply

Venator

imported post

Kicker42 wrote:

Well the trooper was partially right. If you do not have a CPL you can't carry in these unless you have permission from the owners. Also no local ordinance can stop you from OCing. Because of the preemption law. All this info is in the info thread. Read that very well then if you have future questions ask.

PLACES off limits to firearms without a CPL: Sec. 234d (1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following: a) A Bank. b) A church. c) A court. d) A theatre. e) A sports arena. f) A day care center. g) A hospital. h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act (BAR). (2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
b) A peace officer.
c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

In 1990, the Michigan legislature enacted MCL 123.1102 which provides, in pertinent part: A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

Venator

imported post

Kicker42 wrote:
The 51 percent rule? Im guessing if I CC then the rules apply to CPL bylaws, from what I read you cant carry open in a place that serves alcohol but. You would have to explain that to me. The privet property I understand.

Thanks for the reply
With a CPL if a place makes 51% or more of their money from food and 49% from booze then you can carry concealed or open. If it's makes over 51% from booze (No or little food service) than if you have a CPLyou can carry OC. But you can be asked to leave.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Venator wrote:
Kicker42 wrote:

Thanks for the reply
With a CPL if a place makes 51% or more of their money from food and 49% from booze then you can carry concealed or open. If it's makes over 51% from booze (No or little food service) than if you have a CPLyou can carry OC. But you can be asked to leave.

Also, Per 750.234d (2)(d):

A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

ETA: However, due to MCL 28.425o, you can not CC at the business without a CPL.

Links: 750.234d , 28.425o