• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dangerous ID fight is here in Virginia

Thundar

imported post

[align=center]

[align=center]Dangerous ID Challenged [/align]

HB 1587, which would prevent Virginia from formally co-operating with the federal government’s Real ID card if it would “compromise the economic privacy or biometric data of any resident of the Commonwealth” has been assigned to the House Militia and Police Committee. (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?091+com+H15)

The Real ID Act has raised informed citizen opposition because of privacy concerns, significant costs, the issue of a National ID card, firearms purchases, placing domestic violence victims in danger, third-party access to your identity data and/or personal documents, state and federal agency access to your information, illegal immigration, the reliability of yet to be developed data systems, and as yet unstated federal requirements for use of the Real ID card.

You are strongly urged to contact your own House of Delegates member and House Militia and Police members by both phone and E-mail. If you do not know who your delegate is, go to http://conview.state.va.us/whosmy.nsf/main?openform for their name and contact information.

You may contact me at delegatebobmarshall@hotmail.com, Richmond at 804-698-1013, or 703-361-5416 Manassas home office. The 2009 General Assembly session starts January 14.

A detailed explanation follows with quotes from Department of Homeland Security Real ID regulations.

Sincerely,

Delegate Bob Marshall
http://delegatebob.com

[align=center]Deal ID Introduction - Legislative History[/align]
In July 2004, the 9/11 Commission recommended the following: “The federal government should set standards for the issuance of birth certificates and sources of identification, such as driver's licenses.” In part, this was done because 9/11 hijackers used state ID cards and driver’s licenses as ID for boarding four commercial aircraft which they turned into bombs.

In December 2004, President George W. Bush signed into law the National Intelligence Reform Act of 2004 (P.L. 108-458) to implement the recommendation. The NIRA act required the U.S. Secretary of Transportation to establish a negotiated rule making process to establish minimum standards for state-issued driver's licenses (DL) and identification cards (ID).

The negotiated rule making process was repealed with the enactment of an unrelated Iraq War funding measure “Emergency Supplemental Appropriation for Defense, the Global War on Terror, and Tsunami Relief, 2005” (H.R. 1268, P.L. 109-13), which included the “Real ID Act of 2005.”

The Real ID law which envisions modified licenses for 245 million drivers provides that Department of Homeland Security (DHS) approved identification would grant bearers entry to “Federal facilities, boarding federally regulated commercial aircraft, entering nuclear power plants.” The Act also added that the ID’s were required for “any other purposes that the Secretary shall determine.”

The first Congressional hearings on the operation of Real ID came two years after passage in 2007 in the US Senate committee. Another hearing followed in 2008.

[align=center]Real ID Costs[/align]
In March, 2007 DHS estimated the cost of implementation at $23.1 billion over 10 years, of which $10 billion to $14 billion are costs to states. To date, Congress has appropriated only $90 million to assist states with implementation of the Real ID, of which only $6 million has been obligated. DHS later revised downward the initial cost estimates. ....

[align=center]Real ID and Gun Purchases[/align]
When DHS’s final comments noted “One commenter voiced concern over possible expansion of the definition to include Federally licensed firearms dealers and that residents of non-compliant States could be blocked from purchasing firearms.”

DHS did NOT directly answer this observation. Instead DHS’s discomforting answer states: “DHS will continue to consider additional ways in which a REAL ID license can or should be used and will implement any changes to the definition of “official purpose” or determinations regarding additional uses for REAL ID consistent with applicable laws and regulatory requirements. DHS does not agree that it must seek the approval of Congress as a prerequisite to changing the definition in the future …” (page 5288)....

[/align]

TFred

imported post

Yeah, the long link appears to be pointing to an individual's own Yahoo mailbox, or
perhaps a message in the mailbox. Unfortunately, as long as that link is in the
thread, it will throw off the spacing for all future messages, unless you insert hard
carriage returns. (As I have done in this message).

The OP needs to edit the message and remove the link.

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Real ID = Show me zour paperz! Intolerable!

No one, and do I mean no one, should even suggest that if I haven't anything to hide then I should not object. This is supposed to be the Land of the Free not of the labeled, tracked and monitored. :banghead:

Yata hey

jegoodin

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

No one, and do I mean no one, should even suggest that if I haven't anything to hide then I should not object. This is supposed to be the Land of the Free not of the labeled, tracked and monitored. :banghead:

Yata hey
+1

Opt-Out Members
imported post

jegoodin wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
+1
+2~