• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster Defined

RollTideXD

imported post

Sorry if I double posted this, but I can't find it again.

This question came up while discussing carrying with my roomate:

What legally defines a holster?

Also, my roomie was never really comfortable with handguns, but after I showed him my XD, plus discussed gun safety procedures and showed him this site he feels alot better about handguns. Unfortunately, his brother is still an anti, but I'm working on it, anyway, thanks all!

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

RollTideXD wrote:
Sorry if I double posted this, but I can't find it again.

This question came up while discussing carrying with my roomate:

What legally defines a holster?

Also, my roomie was never really comfortable with handguns, but after I showed him my XD, plus discussed gun safety procedures and showed him this site he feels alot better about handguns. Unfortunately, his brother is still an anti, but I'm working on it, anyway, thanks all!

Well shoot, I've never seen or even heard of a legal definition of a holster. Is there something you're asking this in reference to? When a legal definition doesn't exist, the dictionary definition is often referred to:

-a sheath (usually leather) for carrying a handgun

-a belt with loops or slots for carrying small hand tools

-A leather or web carrying case for a revolver or pistol, usually conforming to the weapon’s shape and attached to a belt or a saddle.

There's even an entire wiki article on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holster

RollTideXD

imported post

I was just wondering because I know alot of cities don't allow someone to carry without having a holster, i.e. carrying it in your pocket w/o a holster.

JDriver1.8t

imported post

^So technically an empty pocket could be your 'holster'

Interesting, and I had never thought of that use of non-definitions. I believe everyone would recommend a 'real' holster as to no have a 'Plaxico'

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

JDriver1.8t wrote:
^So technically an empty pocket could be your 'holster'

Interesting, and I had never thought of that use of non-definitions. I believe everyone would recommend a 'real' holster as to no have a 'Plaxico'
Great, it's no longer "mexican style" carry, it's "plaxico style" :?. :p

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Well since that one pocket gun holster had to be clasified as a gun, there
might be one requirment...
You must have to remove the gun from the holster to fire it. So this would eliminate
your pocket since you can fire without removing the gun. Could wind up with your
pants defined by the BATF as an unlicenced weapon.:p
Also elimnates plaxico since his sweat pants also allowed for discharging.
Do you think he was down in florida trying to score a new piece when he
decided to crash his uninshured benz? The man is an idiot on so many levels.

But the purpose of a holster is to contain the gun, and protect the trigger.
Also in my case to drive the leo nuts, but I just can't help myself on that front.:cool: