• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Applied for my CPL today

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So I had a bit of fun applying for my CPL today. First, I drove to the wrong building, only to realize it in the parking lot (4pm) - I then drove from the Washtenaw Service Building to the Washtenaw county courthouse - downtown Ann Arbor. Walked in, and talked to the deputy sheriff at the door, and asked if I'm in the right place:

Me: "I'm trying to find the Clerk's office to apply for my CPL."
Him: "What's a CPL?"
Me: "Concealed Pistol License?"
Him: "Oh no, you have to go in the entrance around the corner."

I know a lot of people call it a CCW... but that's not the term as defined in the law, or on the card.

Anyway, I went around the corner (now 4:40), and got my app in. Paid, they handed me my receipt, and told me I have to go BACK to the service building (5 miles away) with one caveat: they don't do fingerprinting after 4pm, so I have to go back M-F 8AM-4PM. Nice.

So I get fingerprinted tomorrow. :cuss:

Still getting my CPL hopefully within 2 months! :cool:

joshuaeberly

imported post

been there, done that, best part is, the next morning, (after going through pretty much the same thing) I cut my thumb badly, and could not go in for prints until it healed up. (yes that badly).
still only took me about 40 days, from completion of class.

Hcidem

imported post

Your story reminds me of when I lived in A2. I had the same length run around for a doctor's appointment, and I told the doc about the run around I had. The doc told me that my blood pressure was high, and that I might need meds. That was the closest I've ever come to sucker punching anyone!

I remember the odd layout in Washtenaw County. The county courthouse, sheriff's office, and the jail are spread all over the place. They must think they are as populous as Wayne County or something.

I'm glad to hear you are in the home stretch for your CPL.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What's funny is I'm only getting my CPL to make it easier to OC.

Kinda lame, but such is life.

Now come to find out I can't make it to the Sheriff's office today, so I'll try tomorrow. One more day of delay.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

quarter horseman wrote:
I love Allegan county It's fast and easy, sheriff and county are next to each other, and got it less than 30 days. (Its a Red county imagine that)

I used to live in Allegan County... Went to school in Otsego. It's great, but there's not much there worth seeing, save the Allegan Co. Fair. :p

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In stark contrast to my parents in Kalamazoo county, I was able to walk in, get fingerprinted, and walk out in a matter of about 30 minutes at the Washtenaw Co. Sheriff's office today.

My parents both had to setup an appointment, which was a minimum wait of two weeks before they got in to get printed.

I know the gun board met Monday. I'm hoping to get in for the next meeting in Feb....

zippo9

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
quarter horseman wrote:
I love Allegan county It's fast and easy, sheriff and county are next to each other, and got it less than 30 days. (Its a Red county imagine that)

I used to live in Allegan County... Went to school in Otsego. It's great, but there's not much there worth seeing, save the Allegan Co. Fair. :p
Town or county?

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

zippo9 wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
quarter horseman wrote:

Town or county?

County.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

When I first applied, back in 2003, it took 103 days, from the day I put in my application, to the day I got the card in the mail, saying I could pick up my CPL at the county clerk's office. When I renewed it in '06, it took just 43 days.