• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry and CCW

Amendment 2

imported post

Anyone with information would be nice. I am coming up for a wedding in oregon and was wondering what are the open carry laws up there and what are the no no's. I am from utah and have a ccw and I know that a utah permit is not valid up there. Also can utah residents get a oregon CCW if so how?

Thanks

Orygunner

imported post

Hi 2nd A, and welcome to OCDO!

Oregon's pretty simple when it comes to OC, but there's a few sticky parts. Let me preface this by saying I Am Not A Lawyer, and you need to read the laws for yourself and understand them. Consult a real lawyer if necessary :D

Almost all the state laws regarding firearms are here:
http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

Basically, my interpretation of Oregon law is that it's OK to loaded OC anywhere without a CHL except "public buildings" (which includes hospitals, any local or state gov't buildings, all public and private schools and colleges). Having an Oregon CHL exempts you from those restrictions (except for some courts).

However, cities/counties may ban LOADEDfirearms in public places for those without a CHL, and about 7 of them have done so. you can still OC, it just must be unloaded, and the definition of "unloaded" varies by city :( Some of them you can't even have a loaded magazine on your person...

Here's the thread with the breakdown of cities banning loaded OC without a CHL.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=923&forum_id=45

It's possible to get a non-residentOregon CHL only if you live in a bordering state, and the Sheriff in the county you apply in chooses to let you have one. Utah doesn't border Oregon, so no luck there.

There was a bill introduced last legislative session (2007) for CHL reciprocity, but it never made it out of the Judiciary committee. Let's hope it gets introduced again and actually gets somewhere this session.

Hope ifI didn't answer your questions, the links do.

...Orygunner...

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

You cannot get an Oregon CHL as you do not live a contiguous state. This is clearly unconstitutional for various different reasons, and should be challenged by folks who can cobble together some money for the cause.

Window_Seat

imported post

I understand that to get a CHL in OR, you must be an Oregon resident to qualify for the "shall issue" criteria (if you qualify), but what I'm confused about is that does the same criteria apply as a resident of a surrounding state (eg. CA, ID, NV, WA?), or must one still have to provide a "compelling statement" if they reside in those states?

Erik.

Orygunner

imported post

Window_Seat wrote:
I understand that to get a CHL in OR, you must be an Oregon resident to qualify for the "shall issue" criteria (if you qualify), but what I'm confused about is that does the same criteria apply as a resident of a surrounding state (eg. CA, ID, NV, WA?), or must one still have to provide a "compelling statement" if they reside in those states?

Erik.

You are correct. Oregon is a Shall-Issue state for Oregon Residents only. For out of state residents, it turns into a MAY-Issue situation.

Read ORS 166.291. http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

The specific part of the law is (emphasis mine):

166.291 ...(8) The county sheriff may waive the residency requirement in subsection (1)(c) of this section for a resident of a contiguous state who has a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need.

...Orygunner...

grishnav

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
You cannot get an Oregon CHL as you do not live a contiguous state. This is clearly unconstitutional for various different reasons, and should be challenged by folks who can cobble together some money for the cause.
However you can become, for the purpose of CHL law, by owning or leasing real property. ;)

Orygunner

imported post

Hmm. Wonder if someone could subdivide a 1 acre parcel into 43560 pieces 1x1 square feet, then sell them to out of staters for $10 per parcel so they can claim an Oregon address to get a CHL?

Eh, probably too cost prohibitive, plus our income taxes really suck. you DON'T want to be a part-year Oregon resident just for that reason alone...

...We just need reciprocity... maybe this legislative session...
...Orygunner...