Thread: Letter to editor on the importance of gun rights @ college

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

My letter has been recently published in a local university student newspaper after stipulation my surname not be used for obvious reason. Redacted for maximum privacy, of course.

My apology if the tone of the letter don't strike the right chord.

Post imported post

In your effort to preserve maximum privacy, you have also eliminated nearly all meaningful context, including the image in question, which is the apparent subject of the letter.

I don't think anyone will know how to comment, since we really don't have a clue what this letter is really even talking about!

Just MHO...

TFred

Post imported post

I see the image, a scan of a printed newspaper page, just fine.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

cyberdogg wrote:
    My apology if the tone of the letter don't strike the right chord.
    This quoted sentence "don't strike the right chord," especially as an exemplar of writing for an academic audience - that a university student newspaper's audience is not.

So ya' did good Aaron!

Fixed. Thank you

Post imported post

I'm impressed that they even printed it. Some papers won't even give you that acknowledgement. It was clearly written and didn't go off on unrelated tangents.

If they want to illustrate the headline, why not use a pair of handcuffs?

Post imported post

KBCraig wrote:
    I see the image, a scan of a printed newspaper page, just fine.
    Yes, but the letter refers to an artwork graphic used elsewhere in the paper, which we cannot see.

BTW, the link above is corrupted, as is wont to happen with this BB software all too often. This one should work:

http://www.uvureview.com/media/stora...-3584164.shtml

I could not find an on-line location of the Police Blotter graphic, which is the subject of the letter. Perhaps the OP will scan and post that as well, so we can all see what he's writing about!

TFred

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    Yes, but the letter refers to an artwork graphic used elsewhere in the paper, which we cannot see. [...]

I could not find an on-line location of the Police Blotter graphic, which is the subject of the letter. Perhaps the OP will scan and post that as well, so we can all see what he's writing about!
    I am not able to locate a previous edition of the newspaper. I asked the library staff about it and she said the moment the previous edition is removed for a new edition at every news stands, the previous edition is recycled en masse.

The image is black background with the white, silvery image (polarization, like x-ray) of the semiautomatic pistol (not sure what model - can't be discerned) superimposed. Some edition have it enlarged and pointed to the side. Some have it pointed downward.

This image remained in the newspaper for probably over a year before I finally complained.

Post imported post

cyberdogg wrote:
    TFred wrote:
    Yes, but the letter refers to an artwork graphic used elsewhere in the paper, which we cannot see. [...]

I am not able to locate a previous edition of the newspaper. I asked the library staff about it and she said the moment the previous edition is removed for a new edition at every news stands, the previous edition is recycled en masse.

The image is black background with the white, silvery image (polarization, like x-ray) of the semiautomatic pistol (not sure what model - can't be discerned) superimposed. Some edition have it enlarged and pointed to the side. Some have it pointed downward.

This image remained in the newspaper for probably over a year before I finally complained.
    Hopefully your letter will make it nothing but a not-so-fond memory then!

TFred