• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letter to editor on the importance of gun rights @ college

cyberdogg

Opt-Out Members
imported post

My letter has been recently published in a local university student newspaper after stipulation my surname not be used for obvious reason. Redacted for maximum privacy, of course.

My apology if the tone of the letter don't strike the right chord.

TFred

imported post

In your effort to preserve maximum privacy, you have also eliminated nearly all meaningful context, including the image in question, which is the apparent subject of the letter.

I don't think anyone will know how to comment, since we really don't have a clue what this letter is really even talking about!

Just MHO...

TFred

Gordie

imported post

I'm impressed that they even printed it. Some papers won't even give you that acknowledgement. It was clearly written and didn't go off on unrelated tangents.

If they want to illustrate the headline, why not use a pair of handcuffs?

TFred

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
I see the image, a scan of a printed newspaper page, just fine.
Yes, but the letter refers to an artwork graphic used elsewhere in the paper, which we cannot see.

BTW, the link above is corrupted, as is wont to happen with this BB software all too often. This one should work:

http://www.uvureview.com/media/storage/paper982/news/2009/01/12/Opinion/Letter.To.The.Editor-3584164.shtml

I could not find an on-line location of the Police Blotter graphic, which is the subject of the letter. Perhaps the OP will scan and post that as well, so we can all see what he's writing about! :)

TFred

cyberdogg

Opt-Out Members
imported post

TFred wrote:
Yes, but the letter refers to an artwork graphic used elsewhere in the paper, which we cannot see. [...]

I could not find an on-line location of the Police Blotter graphic, which is the subject of the letter. Perhaps the OP will scan and post that as well, so we can all see what he's writing about! :)
I am not able to locate a previous edition of the newspaper. I asked the library staff about it and she said the moment the previous edition is removed for a new edition at every news stands, the previous edition is recycled en masse.

The image is black background with the white, silvery image (polarization, like x-ray) of the semiautomatic pistol (not sure what model - can't be discerned) superimposed. Some edition have it enlarged and pointed to the side. Some have it pointed downward.

This image remained in the newspaper for probably over a year before I finally complained.

TFred

imported post

cyberdogg wrote:
TFred wrote:
Yes, but the letter refers to an artwork graphic used elsewhere in the paper, which we cannot see. [...]

I am not able to locate a previous edition of the newspaper. I asked the library staff about it and she said the moment the previous edition is removed for a new edition at every news stands, the previous edition is recycled en masse.

The image is black background with the white, silvery image (polarization, like x-ray) of the semiautomatic pistol (not sure what model - can't be discerned) superimposed. Some edition have it enlarged and pointed to the side. Some have it pointed downward.

This image remained in the newspaper for probably over a year before I finally complained.
Hopefully your letter will make it nothing but a not-so-fond memory then! :)

TFred