• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC with an Oregon Concealed Licence , Am I UN-lawful ?

SteveInAshand

imported post

I have a current concealed handgun license in Oregon.

But I have been OC for a long time and I want to keep OC, instead of concealed.

Some guy here posted that it is illegal to OC when You have a concealed carry permit / license.

Is that true or false for Oregon and if so please site or send the link to the code-statute that says it is illegal to open carry with a concealment permit.

thank You.

rmodel65

imported post

Oregon is a traditional open carry state. However, their preemption statute only covers concealed handgun license holders from city or county passed bans against loaded firearms in public places. To our knowledge, only the cities of Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence have passed loaded firearms bans encompassing all public places, and other cities have passed bans specific to Parks. Also, all "public buildings" are also off limits throughout the entire state unless you have a concealed handgun license.
http://www.opencarry.org/or.html

So you dont need a license to OC, why would having one require you to CC? I think someone was pulling you chain

lildobe

Pittsburgh (Beechview), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

If you get a Driver's License does that mean you can't walk or ride a bike anymore?

:banghead:

But in reality... unless it's specifically enumerated in your state's statutes that you may no longer OC once you have a CCW, then there's no reason why you would.

JBURGII

imported post

I hear that a lot from folks who are confusing California statutes with Oregon statutes..

In Cali you HAVE to CC if you have a permit. In Oregon you can do either if you have a permit. If noone else posts the specific code I will get back here and list it for you.

J

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I open carried in Portland at Pride Northwest 2007 (As in Gay Pride) as a spectator and enjoyer of the festivities. The cops, which were NUMEROUS due to the counterprotesters and crowds, did not even stop me.

They probably didn't stop me because I had to harangue their City Attorneys office really hard.

-Lonnie

JBURGII

imported post

I have it here somewhere.. I don't want to mis-inform so will try to find the proper cites on this..

J

JBURGII

imported post

Thank for that Ory, my laptop locked up last nite and I just gave up for a while.. well that and the dutch apple pie made me sleepy.. hehe..

I was digging through california to back up what I said about their carry laws.. I was taught by a number of CCers down there that the minute you were rubber stamped with a license to CC, you could not OC at all.. but how many times have we seen mis-informed folks come out of officialy sanctioned instructional classes.. ?

J

mjones

imported post

JBURGII wrote:
I hear that a lot from folks who are confusing California statutes with Oregon statutes..

In Cali you HAVE to CC if you have a permit. In Oregon you can do either if you have a permit. If noone else posts the specific code I will get back here and list it for you.

J

To my knowledge there is no Penal Code requiring concealment UNLESS that is a term of licensure specificly enumerated on the license as a restriction (which unfortunately is at the whim of the licensing authority)

----------

(a)... A license to carry concealed a pistol, revolver, or other
firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

(b) A license may include any reasonable restrictions or
conditions which the issuing authority deems warranted, including
restrictions as to the time, place, manner, and circumstances under
which the person may carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm
capable of being concealed upon the person.

(c) Any restrictions imposed pursuant to subdivision (b) shall be
indicated on any license issued.

JBURGII

imported post

mjones wrote:
JBURGII wrote:

J

To my knowledge there is no Penal Code requiring concealment UNLESS that is a term of licensure specificly enumerated on the license as a restriction (which unfortunately is at the whim of the licensing authority)

----------

(a)... A license to carry concealed a pistol, revolver, or other
firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

(b) A license may include any reasonable restrictions or
conditions which the issuing authority deems warranted, including
restrictions as to the time, place, manner, and circumstances under
which the person may carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm
capable of being concealed upon the person.

(c) Any restrictions imposed pursuant to subdivision (b) shall be
indicated on any license issued.
This is the perfect example of getting something drilled in your head so often and not double checking before quoting.. I am still trying to re-engage my ability to think independantly after spending a decade in Comradifornia..

I do apologize for the long lasting effects of my incarceration.. :D

J