• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Department of Forests and Wildlife

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

The Oregon Department of Forestry (ODF) has stopped enforcing section c of OAR 629-25-050(5). This section relates to possession of a loaded firearm in state-owned forestland designated as a recreation area. The rule was originally developed with assistance from the Oregon State Parks and Recreation Department. This was done so ODF would be aligned with that agency's rules for campgrounds. Oregon State Parks has since rescinded that rule. We, too, recognize the need to do the same.

Thank you for your interest in State Forests. If I can be of further assistance, don't hesitate to contact me.

Jeff Foreman
Public Information Officer
Oregon Dept of Forestry

adamsesq

imported post

A good place for a reminder that it is ALWAYS illegal (with or without a permit) to have a loaded weapon on your atv with you. And if you are off road in your truck it is an ATV...

-adamsesq

ETA:

ORS 821.240 Operating snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle while carrying firearm or bow; penalty.[/b] (1) A person commits the offense of operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow if the person operates any snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle with a firearm in the possession of the person, unless the firearm is unloaded, or with a bow, unless all arrows are in a quiver.[/b]

(2) The offense described in this section, operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow, is a Class B traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §729; 1985 c.393 §45; 1985 c.459 §31a; 1987 c.587 §14; 1989 c.991 §15a; 1991 c.589 §1]

Orygunner

imported post

There were a couple of different bills submitted last legislative session to rectify the "no loaded firearm on ATV" law. If I remember correctly, one would exclude people with a CHL from the restriction (what, cuz we're smarter or something?), and the other would clarify to mean not a round in the chamber, but handguns for protection were exempt from the restriction (much better).

Both bills languished in Judiciary Committee until the 2007 session ended.

This is only a class B infraction anyway, and there's nothing requiring you to submit your firearm to a LEO to be inspected or answer a question of "is that loaded?" I recognize the potential risks and I refuse to obey this crappy law that addressed a non-existant problem.

...I need to look up the reps that submitted those bills in the last session and see if they have plans to resubmit them again...
...Orygunner.

Glockguy

imported post

Soo Wait I can Carry my Gun With my CHL In any nation Park in Oregon now? Crater Lake and whatever else parks there are?.. Wat National Parks are there in Oregon Does anyone know them all?

Cremator75

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
The Oregon Department of Forestry (ODF) has stopped enforcing section c of OAR 629-25-050(5). This section relates to possession of a loaded firearm in state-owned forestland designated as a recreation area. The rule was originally developed with assistance from the Oregon State Parks and Recreation Department. This was done so ODF would be aligned with that agency's rules for campgrounds. Oregon State Parks has since rescinded that rule. We, too, recognize the need to do the same.

Thank you for your interest in State Forests. If I can be of further assistance, don't hesitate to contact me.

Jeff Foreman
Public Information Officer
Oregon Dept of Forestry
Lonnie,
Does this mean that the signs at state park campgrounds that say "NO FIREARMS" are officially void? I just went camping at Detroit Lake and they are still there as of last week. Should I bring it up to the ranger the next time I go to a state campground?

grishnav

imported post

Glockguy wrote:
Soo Wait I can Carry my Gun With my CHL In any nation Park in Oregon now? Crater Lake and whatever else parks there are?.. Wat National Parks are there in Oregon Does anyone know them all?
This rule change specifically is regarding state forests. It's been an illegal rule for quite some time, anyway.

The ability to carry concealed in National Parks, including Crater Lake and the like, was a last-minute "gift" to the NRA from George Bush that IIRC just recently went through. Lots of love for the press out to vilify gun owners. <3 <3

Orygunner

imported post

I wouldn'tcall it alast minute gift. It's been in the works for well over a year. (I heard two years somewhere, but on a quick search I can't find exactly when it started).

And it's not like Bush himself is responsible. In December of 2007, 47 senators signed a letter asking the Interior Department to repeal federal guns rules for National Parks and wildlife refuges.

..."Last minute gift" is the phrasing the anti-gun rights articles are using, isn't it?...
...Orygunner...

grishnav

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
I wouldn'tcall it alast minute gift. It's been in the works for well over a year. (I heard two years somewhere, but on a quick search I can't find exactly when it started).

And it's not like Bush himself is responsible. In December of 2007, 47 senators signed a letter asking the Interior Department to repeal federal guns rules for National Parks and wildlife refuges.

I'm aware as much.

..."Last minute gift" is the phrasing the anti-gun rights articles are using, isn't it?...
...Orygunner...
Yes, it is. That's the point. Read my post again. You, sir, have a broken sarcasm detector! ;)

Orygunner

imported post

Damn! My apologizes my dear Sir. I've been meaning to get that sarcasm detector checked but unfortunately my procrastination alarm is also broken (or at least my wife claims it must be)...

...Orygunner...

grishnav

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
Damn! My apologizes my dear Sir. I've been meaning to get that sarcasm detector checked but unfortunately my procrastination alarm is also broken (or at least my wife claims it must be)...

...Orygunner...
:lol::lol: AHahaha best reply ever! :celebrate