Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Huntsville OC Cannot find my NH Permit

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    291

    Post imported post

    I have a VA Resident Permit.

    Have a NH NON residentpermit but cannot find it!

    What are the laws in Huntsville about OC. I'm headed their thursday.


    VA has really good OC laws can somebody provide a link, and school me on the Laws in Huntsville.



    DOES AL have Pre-emtion

    What constitutes OC in AL.

    any limits on holster type for OC? and mag capacity?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Regular Member SFCRetired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montgomery, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,770

    Post imported post




    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    797

    Post imported post

    You can't have a handgun in a vehicle, at all, without a permit. (There are narrow exceptions such as going to get the firearm repaired and such).

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    326

    Post imported post

    I live in the Huntsville area and open carry is definitely frowned upon here. If you OC in Huntsville, you will likely have an encounter with a LEO. Also, as stated earlier, no loaded firearms are allowed in vehicles in Alabama without a carry permit.

  5. #5
    Regular Member GLOCKMAN40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    42

    Post imported post

    Hello there in HUNTSVILLE, Im from Indianapolis Indiana with a "LTCH" which means we can carry any way we want to , if i come to Huntsville Alabama and open carry with my "LTCH" what will your local police doafter chceking on my "LTCH" (LICENSE TO CARRY HANDGUN STATE OF INDIANA).
    " A Well Regulated Militia, Being Necessary To The Security Of A Free State,
    The Right Of The People To Keep And Bear Arms, Shall Not Be Infringed ".

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    797

    Post imported post

    Huh? You only need your LTCH for carrying concealed or in a vehicle. They shouldn't check for a permit at all. I wouldn't give them my permit if they asked and I was OCing.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    341

    Post imported post

    Alabama has preemption, but it is routinely ignored.

    There is no definition of open carry in Alabama. I could not find a definition of "concealed" in the code, either. As such, the definition of "concealed" in a standard dictionary should help you figure out what would be considered "open" in Alabama.

    The law doesn't mention holster types. I'd recommend retention or a thumb break.

    No limits for mag capacity. I'd love to OC a Glock with an extended mag, except I hate Glocks.

    You cannot OC in a vehicle unless you have a permit recognized by Alabama.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    326

    Post imported post

    kurtmax_0 wrote:
    Huh? You only need your LTCH for carrying concealed or in a vehicle. They shouldn't check for a permit at all. I wouldn't give them my permit if they asked and I was OCing.
    Kurtmax, with all due respect to you, that is not good advice for someone OCing in the Huntsville area. The Madison County Sheriff has made it clear that he is not in favor of OC and I have talked with many HPD officers who feel the same. Right or wrong, that is the way they feel and the poster will likely be confronted if he OCs. It would be a shame for someone visiting our state to get hastled especially when he/she has a permit from a state with reciprocity to carry concealed. I would hate to see theposter be a test case soI would advise him/her to carry concealed and enjoy their visit to Huntsville. Again, no disrespect intended.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    797

    Post imported post

    IANAL, but it seems like the definition of 'concealed' in Alabama is of the 'not obviously a weapon to a reasonable person' type.

    From Morris v. State

    However, the State failed to prove that the arrest was lawful. In fact it was not lawfully authorized
    because defendant was not carrying a concealed pistol. The State's evidence (Tr. p. 7) shows that the pistol was in a
    scabbard or holster, worn on the side and was not covered.
    So it seems like carrying in one of those 'army' scabbards that completely conceal the pistol, but are pretty obvious what they carry would not be considered concealed.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    797

    Post imported post

    acrimsontide wrote:
    kurtmax_0 wrote:
    Huh? You only need your LTCH for carrying concealed or in a vehicle. They shouldn't check for a permit at all. I wouldn't give them my permit if they asked and I was OCing.
    Kurtmax, with all due respect to you, that is not good advice for someone OCing in the Huntsville area.¬* The Madison County Sheriff has made it clear that he is not in favor of OC and I have talked with many HPD officers who feel the same.¬* Right or wrong, that is the way they feel and the poster will likely be confronted if he OCs.¬* It would be a shame for someone visiting our state to get hastled especially when he/she has a permit from a state with reciprocity to carry concealed.¬* I would hate to see the¬*poster be a test case so¬*I would advise him/her to carry concealed and enjoy their visit to Huntsville.¬* Again, no disrespect intended.
    Sorry, I was only stating what's legal or not in the State. I should have made that clear. I don't have any experience in the Huntsville area.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    341

    Post imported post

    I wonder if you would be legal unloading the pistol and and placing it in the left saddlebag and the ammo in the right one...?

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    797

    Post imported post

    I don't know if riding 'on' the motorcycle would be considered having a firearm 'inside' a vehicle.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    797

    Post imported post

    Well the law says it needs to be in a 'secure wrapper'... whatever that means.

    Before I had a permit I would put it unloaded in a safe behind the passenger seat. That won't work for a cycle obviously.

    I was only semi-joking with my previous comment. 11-73 specifically says 'in any vehicle'. How could carrying unconcealed while riding on a motorcycle be considered in the motorcycle. It may just be something the legislature overlooked, but seems to me to be a pretty good loophole. You can't mix up on and in, they are pretty much mutually exclusive.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    326

    Post imported post

    mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    Several times a year, we travel in/through Alabama.
    Alabama law is quite clear, you have the right to bear arms in defense of self.
    My question is once I go to get back in our truck or back on our motorcycle, what do we do with the sidearm?
    Throw it in the nearest dumpster?
    Don't do that. Give me a call and I'll dispose of it for you Seriously locking the unloaded firearm in a case in one saddle bag and the ammo in the other saddle bag might be your answer but you might need to check with the LEOs in the area you will be traveling.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    326

    Post imported post

    kurtmax_0 wrote:
    acrimsontide wrote:
    kurtmax_0 wrote:
    Huh? You only need your LTCH for carrying concealed or in a vehicle. They shouldn't check for a permit at all. I wouldn't give them my permit if they asked and I was OCing.
    Kurtmax, with all due respect to you, that is not good advice for someone OCing in the Huntsville area. The Madison County Sheriff has made it clear that he is not in favor of OC and I have talked with many HPD officers who feel the same. Right or wrong, that is the way they feel and the poster will likely be confronted if he OCs. It would be a shame for someone visiting our state to get hastled especially when he/she has a permit from a state with reciprocity to carry concealed. I would hate to see theposter be a test case soI would advise him/her to carry concealed and enjoy their visit to Huntsville. Again, no disrespect intended.
    Sorry, I was only stating what's legal or not in the State. I should have made that clear. I don't have any experience in the Huntsville area.
    No problem at all and no need to apologize. I live in the Huntsville area and know that they are not friendly to OC at all. Our county sherriff does not put any other limits on permits but it does address the OCissue as the permit says something to the effect: this permit does not give you the right to carry openly. Guess the local LEOs don't put a lot of stock in the AG's opinion from several years ago.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    797

    Post imported post

    Well they are perfectly correct. The permit has nothing to do with OC

  17. #17
    Regular Member GLOCKMAN40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    42

    Post imported post

    Hey Huntsville, thanks for the info. i think i will call down to your Police Dept. for more info. befor i come down.
    " A Well Regulated Militia, Being Necessary To The Security Of A Free State,
    The Right Of The People To Keep And Bear Arms, Shall Not Be Infringed ".

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    21

    Post imported post

    Carrying a firearm from one state to Alabama withoutpermitis ok but the firearm must be secured and seperated from the ammo and not within reach or each other.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •