• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Huntsville OC Cannot find my NH Permit

rob99vmi04

imported post

I have a VA Resident Permit.

Have a NH NON residentpermit but cannot find it!

What are the laws in Huntsville about OC. I'm headed their thursday.

VA has really good OC laws can somebody provide a link, and school me on the Laws in Huntsville.

DOES AL have Pre-emtion

What constitutes OC in AL.

any limits on holster type for OC? and mag capacity?

Thanks in advance.

kurtmax_0

imported post

You can't have a handgun in a vehicle, at all, without a permit. (There are narrow exceptions such as going to get the firearm repaired and such).

acrimsontide

imported post

I live in the Huntsville area and open carry is definitely frowned upon here. If you OC in Huntsville, you will likely have an encounter with a LEO. Also, as stated earlier, no loaded firearms are allowed in vehicles in Alabama without a carry permit.

GLOCKMAN40

imported post

Hello there in HUNTSVILLE, Im from Indianapolis Indiana with a "LTCH" which means we can carry any way we want to , if i come to Huntsville Alabama and open carry with my "LTCH" what will your local police doafter chceking on my "LTCH" (LICENSE TO CARRY HANDGUN STATE OF INDIANA).

kurtmax_0

imported post

Huh? You only need your LTCH for carrying concealed or in a vehicle. They shouldn't check for a permit at all. I wouldn't give them my permit if they asked and I was OCing.

HungSquirrel

imported post

Alabama has preemption, but it is routinely ignored.

There is no definition of open carry in Alabama. I could not find a definition of "concealed" in the code, either. As such, the definition of "concealed" in a standard dictionary should help you figure out what would be considered "open" in Alabama.

The law doesn't mention holster types. I'd recommend retention or a thumb break.

No limits for mag capacity. I'd love to OC a Glock with an extended mag, except I hate Glocks. :)

You cannot OC in a vehicle unless you have a permit recognized by Alabama.

acrimsontide

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
Huh? You only need your LTCH for carrying concealed or in a vehicle. They shouldn't check for a permit at all. I wouldn't give them my permit if they asked and I was OCing.
Kurtmax, with all due respect to you, that is not good advice for someone OCing in the Huntsville area. The Madison County Sheriff has made it clear that he is not in favor of OC and I have talked with many HPD officers who feel the same. Right or wrong, that is the way they feel and the poster will likely be confronted if he OCs. It would be a shame for someone visiting our state to get hastled especially when he/she has a permit from a state with reciprocity to carry concealed. I would hate to see theposter be a test case soI would advise him/her to carry concealed and enjoy their visit to Huntsville. Again, no disrespect intended.

kurtmax_0

imported post

IANAL, but it seems like the definition of 'concealed' in Alabama is of the 'not obviously a weapon to a reasonable person' type.

From Morris v. State

However, the State failed to prove that the arrest was lawful. In fact it was not lawfully authorized
because defendant was not carrying a concealed pistol. The State's evidence (Tr. p. 7) shows that the pistol was in a
scabbard or holster, worn on the side and was not covered.

So it seems like carrying in one of those 'army' scabbards that completely conceal the pistol, but are pretty obvious what they carry would not be considered concealed.

kurtmax_0

imported post

acrimsontide wrote:
kurtmax_0 wrote:
Kurtmax, with all due respect to you, that is not good advice for someone OCing in the Huntsville area.  The Madison County Sheriff has made it clear that he is not in favor of OC and I have talked with many HPD officers who feel the same.  Right or wrong, that is the way they feel and the poster will likely be confronted if he OCs.  It would be a shame for someone visiting our state to get hastled especially when he/she has a permit from a state with reciprocity to carry concealed.  I would hate to see the poster be a test case so I would advise him/her to carry concealed and enjoy their visit to Huntsville.  Again, no disrespect intended.

Sorry, I was only stating what's legal or not in the State. I should have made that clear. I don't have any experience in the Huntsville area.

imported post

Several times a year, we travel in/through Alabama.
Alabama law is quite clear, you have the right to bear arms in defense of self.
My question is once I go to get back in our truck or back on our motorcycle, what do we do with the sidearm?
Throw it in the nearest dumpster?

kurtmax_0

imported post

Well the law says it needs to be in a 'secure wrapper'... whatever that means.

Before I had a permit I would put it unloaded in a safe behind the passenger seat. That won't work for a cycle obviously.

I was only semi-joking with my previous comment. 11-73 specifically says 'in any vehicle'. How could carrying unconcealed while riding on a motorcycle be considered in the motorcycle. It may just be something the legislature overlooked, but seems to me to be a pretty good loophole. You can't mix up on and in, they are pretty much mutually exclusive.

acrimsontide

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Several times a year, we travel in/through Alabama.
Alabama law is quite clear, you have the right to bear arms in defense of self.
My question is once I go to get back in our truck or back on our motorcycle, what do we do with the sidearm?
Throw it in the nearest dumpster?

Don't do that. Give me a call and I'll dispose of it for you:D Seriously locking the unloaded firearm in a case in one saddle bag and the ammo in the other saddle bag might be your answer but you might need to check with the LEOs in the area you will be traveling.

acrimsontide

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
acrimsontide wrote:
kurtmax_0 wrote:
Kurtmax, with all due respect to you, that is not good advice for someone OCing in the Huntsville area. The Madison County Sheriff has made it clear that he is not in favor of OC and I have talked with many HPD officers who feel the same. Right or wrong, that is the way they feel and the poster will likely be confronted if he OCs. It would be a shame for someone visiting our state to get hastled especially when he/she has a permit from a state with reciprocity to carry concealed. I would hate to see theposter be a test case soI would advise him/her to carry concealed and enjoy their visit to Huntsville. Again, no disrespect intended.

Sorry, I was only stating what's legal or not in the State. I should have made that clear. I don't have any experience in the Huntsville area.
No problem at all and no need to apologize. I live in the Huntsville area and know that they are not friendly to OC at all. Our county sherriff does not put any other limits on permits but it does address the OCissue as the permit says something to the effect: this permit does not give you the right to carry openly. Guess the local LEOs don't put a lot of stock in the AG's opinion from several years ago.

jchantelau

imported post

Carrying a firearm from one state to Alabama withoutpermitis ok but the firearm must be secured and seperated from the ammo and not within reach or each other.