• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HR45 - Full Licensing, Registration, and Mandatory safe storage - WITH INSPECTIONS

Renegade

imported post

When they come kicking down your door close your eyes and remember the words of Col. Jeff Cooper, "Let us reflect upon the fact that a man who covers his face shows reason to be ashamed of what he is doing. A man who takes it upon himself to shed blood while concealing his identity is a revolting perversion of the warrior ethic. It has long been my conviction that a masked man with a gun is a target. I see no reason to change that view."

GumiBear

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Icarus wrote:
wow... :cuss:
WOW! :cuss:eek:h I know, I say it louder!
717_animated_machine_gun.gif
Right now I could chew a 10 penny nail and spit out a barbed wire fence!

jbeck

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
We all need to start planning and not on public forums either If this abomination passes, "The Day" will shortly follow. This bill MUST be defeated or else bloodshed is certain.

I never thought I would be writing these words. There is more than "gun rights" at stake here. These people seek control of every aspect of personal life that they can possibly control.They MUST be stopped. Let us hope that our political processes and our Constitution are sufficent to do so. But if not, then as Our Founders pledged, so I pledge and so must we all; "our lives, our Fortunes, and our Sacred Honor" to defeat this tyranny. And the loss of the first two will only increase the value of the last.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
Could not have been more eloquently said. All I can say is that if the time comes credit card maximums canbe useful, especially if it may never come around to payingthem off.

KBCraig

imported post

This bill will be DOA. He hasn't gotten a single co-sponsor so far, and last year he only got 16. The bill was never even reported by the committee, and this one won't be, either.

That doesn't mean we can be complacent, it just means you don't have much to fear here.

wrightme

imported post

Then you found the correct thread. This IS about HR45. ;)

jbeck wrote:
My husband just found a new bill that is being discretely pushed through the House of Representatives. It is called Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 (HR.-45). It has not shown up on any major news sites or T.V. stations but is requiring that any new/already ownedfirearms that use a detachable magazine be federally registered. This will allow access for the feds to check your mental health records. It will be on a "shall issue" status (meaning they can choose who can carry and who cannot). If passed anyone with a qualifying gun will have to have it registered within one year. This bill is currently on the floor as we speak. It is being shoved through very quietly and I suggest that everyone do whatever possible to bring attention to it. Here is a link that reads the bill in its entirety.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:h45ih.txt.pdf

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I just spent the last hour drafting an e-mail to various family and friends asking their support in contacting their representatives in opposition of this bill. Although some say that this bill does not stand a chance of passage and has been slipped through quietly, a crushing wind of opposition sent to enemy at the first hint of anything but the expansion of greater firearm and self defense freedoms should help to stem the tide of what will be considered over the course of the next 2 - 4 years.

For those who are unaware the NRA-ILA provides an excellent reference for finding the contact information of your or someone elses representative.

http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/

AllAmerican

imported post

I have written my legislators so much in the last week I think they'll know me by name. LOL

It is very important that we stand together NOW! Let your voice be heard. The NRA site makes it easy to hit all your legislators in one shot.

wrightme

imported post

AllAmerican wrote:
I have written my legislators so much in the last week I think they'll know me by name. LOL

It is very important that we stand together NOW! Let your voice be heard. The NRA site makes it easy to hit all your legislators in one shot.

Correct, the NRA website is a great starting point for that.

Also, I use Thomas (Library of Congress), which lists all the bills, the Senator/Representative websites, and the Congressional Record in PDF form. I link to that site at http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/Pages/Tracker.php. I also provide a link to govtrack.us, which is an excellent site that allows research by subject area, as well as providing "widgets" for inclusion on a webpage as I have done at the stillwater site.

NOTE: The House bill information is not fully updating at present, and I have conversed with the govtrack webmaster about the problem.
EDIT: The govtrack website widgets now show all the relevant HR bills that I am tracking as relevant to firearms.

NOTE: If anyone knows of a firearms-relatedbill that I am not currently tracking at the stillwater link, please contact me so I can update the page.

heresolong

imported post

If anyone needs statistics on what kind of effect this bill would have they need look no farther than our northern border. Canada, in a nation of approximately 35 million people, spent on the order of $3billion compiling a national gun registry. According to the Fraser Institute there are huge problems with their registration. The government has incorrectly entered many registrations, causing people to be in violation due to no fault of their own; registration renewals have been delayed past the expiration date, causing people to be in violation, the cost has been dramatically more than originally estimated; and it has not, to date, solved or prevented one crime that anyone can document.

Now, extrapolate that to our country of 350 million people.

wrightme

imported post

NMGunIt wrote:
Just sent an email to GOA to find out if they have any insight into this piece of legislation.
You could also see if they had any insight into the HR2666 from the 110th. It is the same proposed legislation. If they didn't have insight last year, hopefully they do this year.

demnogis

imported post

I hate to say it but I don't think E-Mails cut it. It's incredibly easy to filter them out and/or block them. For instance, look at what they did on the re-submission of the "Fail-Out" plan. They shut down all e-mail of the congress/senators through .gov because there was such a high influx.

The best methods are by fax and phone. Make sure you speak to an assistant or someone in their office to leave a message.

Thank you, too, for posting the NRA link for contacting our members of congress and senators :)

NMGunIt

imported post

demnogis wrote:
I hate to say it but I don't think E-Mails cut it. It's incredibly easy to filter them out and/or block them. For instance, look at what they did on the re-submission of the "Fail-Out" plan. They shut down all e-mail of the congress/senators through .gov because there was such a high influx.

The best methods are by fax and phone. Make sure you speak to an assistant or someone in their office to leave a message.

Thank you, too, for posting the NRA link for contacting our members of congress and senators :)
I'm sure sending email to the government would be useless, but I would believe that GOA (Gun Owners of America) would be more accessible via email from those asking questions. Guess I'll find out if there is a response.

Legba

imported post

Some politicians are more responsive than others. I got a dictated and signed letter in response to an e-mailed letter to our governor here once.

-ljp

packingdressagerider

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I think we all knew this was headed down the pike.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?pageId=86039

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

[font=Verdana,]WEAPONS OF CHOICE
WorldNetDaily Exclusive

[font=Palatino,]Big Brother's new target:
Tracking of all firearms
[/font]

[font=Palatino,]'Nothing less than a declaration
of war on American gun owners'
[/font][/font]

[size=-1]Posted: January 13, 2009
10:08 pm Eastern

[/size]

[font="Palatino, Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif"]By Drew Zahn

[size=-1]WorldNetDaily [/size]

BobbyRush.jpg

Rep. Bobby Rush, D-Ill.

U.S. Rep. Bobby Rush, D-Ill., is hoping to pass a firearm-licensing bill that will significantly rewrite gun-ownership laws in America.

Among the more controversial provisions of the bill are requirements that all handgun owners submit to the federal government a photo, thumb print and mental heath records. Further, the bill would order the attorney general to establish a database of every handgun sale, transfer and owner's address in America.

The bill claims its purpose is "to protect the public against the unreasonable risk of injury and death associated with the unrecorded sale or transfer of firearms to criminals and youth."

Columnist David Codrea of Guns Magazine, however, calls it a "ridiculous affront to liberty."

"This is nothing less than a declaration of war on American gun owners," Codrea writes on Gun Rights Examiner.

Rush's proposed bill, H.R. 45, is alternatively known as "Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009," named after an Illinois teenager killed by a gunshot.

According the bill's text, "On the afternoon of May 10, 2007, Blair Holt, a junior at Julian High School in Chicago, was killed on a public bus riding home from school when he used his body to shield a girl who was in the line of fire after a young man boarded the bus and started shooting."

The bill then argues that interstate firearm trafficking and children dying from gun violence create legitimate cause for the federal government to monitor gun ownership and transfers in new ways.

If passed, the bill would make it illegal to own or possess a "qualifying firearm" – defined as any handgun or any semiautomatic firearm that takes an ammunition clip – without a "Blair Holt" license.

To obtain a "Blair Holt" license, an application must be made that includes a photo, address, all previous aliases, thumb print, completion of a written firearm safety test, release of mental health records to the attorney general and a fee not to exceed $25.

Further, the bill makes it illegal to transfer ownership of a qualifying firearm to anyone who is not a licensed gun dealer or collector. Exceptions to this rule include transfer to family members by gift or bequest and loans, not to exceed 30 days, of a firearm for lawful purposes "between persons who are personally known to each other."

The bill also requires qualifying firearm owners to report all transfers to the attorney general's database. It would also be illegal for a licensed gun owner to fail to record a gun loss or theft within 72 hours or fail to report a change of address within 60 days.

And if a minor obtains a weapon and injures someone with it, the owner of the gun – if deemed to have failed to meet certain safety requirements – faces a multiple-year jail sentence.

H.R. 45 is a resurfacing of 2007's H.R. 2666, which contained much of the same language and was co-sponsored by 15 other representatives and Barack Obama's current chief of staff, Rahm Emmanuel. H.R. 2666 was assigned to the House Judiciary committee, where no action was taken.

H.R. 45 currently has no co-sponsors and is likewise assigned to the House Judiciary committee.
[/font]