Thread: CCW expiration question

Post imported post

I am going to take the CCW course on Sunday and have a question about its renewal (when the time comes).

Eventually I will return to Illinois ( a no carry state) to be with my family. My question is this: what do I do when my LA CCW expires? Can it be renewed if I am no longer living in the state? Is there a non-resident CCW? What would be your suggestions, besides not moving back to Ill-annoy?

Post imported post

The answer is no. when you leave and become a resident of another state that's it.

How long before you go? You might save some money by only getting a 2 yr. permit for $50.

Post imported post

charlie12 wrote:
    The answer is no. when you leave and become a resident of another state that's it.

How long before you go? You might save some money by only getting a 2 yr. permit for $50.
    I'm looking at closer to 3 to 3 1/2 years before heading up there.

Post imported post

Well in that case the 4 yr. permit would be the way to go.

We don't have non resident permits here and as soon as you change your residency your Louisiana permit wouldn't be anygood.

And Ithink if you move up there and then move back you would have a waiting period before getting a LA permit again and pay$50 more.

LA Carry might see the thread and give you some more info.

Goodluck with whatever you do.

Post imported post

Well, on Sunday I have the option to get the LA CCW or pay just a little extra and get the FL CCW. This would obviously be a non-resident FL license, which may make it easier to renew when I move.

Post imported post

That might be the way to go. Since we don't have a non resident permit in LA.

I guess when you move up north your FL permit would still be good and you could use it here if you come to visit.

Post imported post

Is a parish permit invalid if you no longer live in that parish?

Might be an option.

Post imported post

No LA permit (parish or State) will help you if you move. Neither will any other permit, for that matter, if you live in IL. I would never live in IL under any circumstances, for that reason. However, a non-resident permit from another State (FL being one example) would still help you when you travel back to a US state.

Post imported post

I thought that if you changed address and moved to another state you have so many days to report that move and turn in your LA CCL? Is that correct?

Post imported post

Q. I have moved out of state. Is my permit still valid?

A.No, when a permittee ceases to reside within the state the permit becomes invalid and must be returned to the Department of Public Safety. If you return to the state, you must reapply for a permit.

(LAC 55:I:1309.H)

However, L.R.S. 40:1379.3 (J) (3) and LAC 55:I:1307.D.2 (b) provides that a resident attending school or on active military duty in another state may reside outside the state with proper documentation to support this residency exemption.