• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Winchester Ranger SXT (formerly Black Talon) in 9mm

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Google for Winchester ammunition.

There are a number of web outlets that sell ammo as I understand it.

A company called Midway is one.

It seems to me, though, that Ranger SXTmay belimited by the manufacturer to "Law Enforcement Only." I have a vague recollection to that effect, though.

You could check by visiting Winchester's website.

Ruger Fan

imported post

That's pretty much what I've been able to dig up so far. It's not illegal for civilians to have it, it's mostly a Winchester deal limiting access to it. I've no problem buying online but everysite I've checked wants a copy of your drivers license and that has me concerned for potential ID theft.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Ruger Fan wrote:
Anyone know where I can purchase these in/near the Charlotte,NC area? None of my local dealers carry them and they seem to have no answer as to why.

Welcome to OCDO Ruger.

G & R Tactical has 9mm in stock

Link: Rangers

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Ruger Fan wrote:
That's pretty much what I've been able to dig up so far. It's not illegal for civilians to have it, it's mostly a Winchester deal limiting access to it. I've no problem buying online but everysite I've checked wants a copy of your drivers license and that has me concerned for potential ID theft.

Yup, understand perfectly. That is why I buy the Winchester SXT's. They are available just about anywhere. Unfortunately, a box of 20 is about the same price for a box of 50 Winchester Rangers or a box of 50 of Federal HST's. I certainly would like someone to explain that to me. Especially, when all 3 are considered to be premium ammo. :banghead:

KansasMustang

imported post

Ruger Fan wrote:
Anyone know where I can purchase these in/near the Charlotte,NC area? None of my local dealers carry them and they seem to have no answer as to why.
I've seen Black Talon's on Gunbroker.com and the best replacement I've seen for it is Golden Sabres i think by the same folks.

shad0wfax

imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
Ruger Fan wrote:
I've seen Black Talon's on Gunbroker.com and the best replacement I've seen for it is Golden Sabres i think by the same folks.
Golden Sabres are made by Remington, but they are great ammunition. There is an LEO version called the Bonded Golden Sabre as well. It's on par with Federal HST and Winchester Ranger in terms of difficulty to find and performance.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
Golden Sabres are made by Remington, but they are great ammunition. There is an LEO version called the Bonded Golden Sabre as well. It's on par with Federal HST and Winchester Ranger in terms of difficulty to find and performance.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I have read the current generation Gold Dot bullets are right up there with HST and the Bonded Golden Sabre.

The 718 ft/lbs behind it (in my carry load) can't hurt either.

ETA: Official Ballistics Gelatin results for the DoubleTap loads in both Golden Sabre (non bonded I believe) and Gold Dot. Note the 165 grain Gold Dot at 1 inch expansion!!

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/Official-10-ordinance-gelatin-results-t40940.html

apcci2

imported post

Ruger Fan wrote:
Don't know about around Charlotte, but Shooter's in Fayetteville Sells them