• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Don't tell me I can't carry at work!

jbeck

imported post

So I went to Ft. Lauderdale this weekend for work at an entertainment venue that sells alcohol. I am an independent contractor thus implying I can work when I want and where I do work cannot treat me as an employee. However, I generally have short contracts I have to read through and sign. Normal stuff. Usually. On the4th page in with small writing on a hidden paragraph, the business wanted me to sign saying I would not have handguns, pepper spray, or any other weapons on their premises. I refused. This after 2 different people told me to just hurry up and sign the papers so I could get to work and that "we already highlighted all the parts you need to initial. This is just a bunch of crap nobody understands anyway." I travel 500 miles out of town and stay in some questionable hotels by myself and always carry. I tried to have the manager rewrite the section stating I would not carry in the building (the sales qualify it as a bar), however, "premises" would also include their parking lot which would mean I would not be able to store my gun in the glovebox and would have to leave it in the hotel. Not much use with a carjacking.... Anyway the guy threw the pack of papers at me and screamed he wouldn't hire me and that he knew the law and I didn't. I couldn't believe he was trying to have me sign something illegal. He was actually trying to tell me that he had the right to control if I had a gun in my car! I am probably the first half intelligent person he would have hired in years, and instead I wasted a trip down there. Would have been nice to know before I left. I hate Florida (even though I am forced to work there 5 days out of the week). Whoever said they were still part of the south hasn't been there in decades....

On a side note, I know I could have fought it, but these days who has the money. No wonder things keep sliding down a dark hole. People see things, they don't like them, but of course, who can afford to fight it??????

ijusam

imported post

jbeck wrote:
I couldn't believe he was trying to have me sign something illegal.

Maybe I'm missing the illegal part.

Perhaps he dosn't know the law, but it looks like he was trying to get you to waive you rights, not have you break the law

rmodel65

imported post

i believe he is referring to the new work place parking lot law.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

If you agree not to have weapons including the parking lot, then the law is moot.

You should have make him initial that paragraph only applies to permenent employees,
if it was as he says only the marked places that was binding.
Also if it is a short term contracting, and the piece is concealed, what are they going to
do 'fire you'. The legal costs work both ways.
For him not to pay for work already performed would run up more than the contract is worth probably.
See even when not OCing you sometimes need the recorder, it would
validate your claim of a verbal contract that negates the no gun segment if he tries
for a tresspass charge.

Well on the good side, maybe you can appear on "speeders fight back"
if you get nabbed heading back out of the state.

Remember FL is definately part of the problem, just look at the last 3 elections.
I wanted a Bush v Clinton this time around just for the humor of it, wouldn't vote for them,
but the thing would have been a great laugh.

Must be a bummer to only hace CC once you cross the border as well.
You might have to start enquiring as to business practices before
committing to the long drive south in the future.

Maybe we need to get clasified as a downtroden minority.:cuss::cuss:

rmodel65

imported post

I dont know the legalities of it, but FL has an armed trespass statue. which iirc is a felony. so i wouldnt want to sign anything then get caught knowing i was "trespassing" armed jmho

jbeck

imported post

The problem with "nobody would know" is that they require all workers have their cars valet parked. Which would leave a valet driver open to stealing my weapon and I either don't say anything about it, or bring it up and lose the job and possibly face consequences of breaching a contract. And yes, more than the new FL work laws was the simple fact that he was trying to get me to waive my right to carry at a location that is unfortunately high risk for danger (from violent people). Thanks for the replies and allowing me to vent!