• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Under 21 OC?

mrspookey7

imported post

If you are under the age of 21 can you still OC a hand gun? The only info I can find is 18 to open carry, but it doesn't say hand gun, or long gun. What is confusing to me is that you have to be 21 to purchase a hand gun, and you cannot buy for an under age person, so is it possible to OC a hand gun?

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Private sales in Idaho are completely legal. That means you could purchase a handgun or long gun from someone who you know; just don't try to send anyone to a store to buy a gun on your behalf, or you may be guilty of a "straw purchase".

Basically, it's not against the law for you to buy a handgun at 18 but it IS against the law for a federally licensed firearms dealer to sell a handgun to you. You need to find a friend/parent to sell you something from their private collection. Then you can OC anytime you'd like. Also, there is no need for you to actually own the gun you plan to carry. You are allowed to carry any gun you legally possess; that means a friend or family member can loan you a gun, get some experience under your belt, and by that time you may be 21 and ready to purchase exactly what you want. Good luck.

shad0wfax

imported post

You can OC a handgun in Idaho at the age of 18. (Don't do it in Washington state.)As IndianaBoy posted, you don't have to own what you're carrying.

mrspookey7

imported post

I have an Xd and a Colt compact. I have already OC before in the past, then that thought came into my mind. Just making sure.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Excellent; now the only question you should ask yourself is "do I legally possess this?"

So long as you didn't take it off the body you found in that ditch, you're prolly alright.

;)

bourneshooter

imported post

I OC'd while under 21. Also had my CCW while under 21. :cool: My brother is currently OC'ing and he is under 21.

In ID you can OC a rifle at 12 and pistol at 14. The pistol in particular can only be done on the way to a range/shooting activity without parental presence. At 16 you can OC a pistol anywhere - within state law - as long as you have a written letter of permission from your parent or legal guardian.

18 and up is no regs on OC!

I'd suggest you obtain a pocket recorder to keep in your pocket if you look young though.

Also read the threads on here from Saint, Idaho Corsair, and myself. I have one posting that lists most of the laws regarding OC here in ID.

Welcome to OCDO!

Eagleeye

imported post

4liberty wrote:
Why is the federal government always raining on the peoples' party?
Same reason why school bully's are always stealing other peoples lunch/lunch money, because they know can get away with it.

that is until they do it to the wrong person and get the snot beat out of them for it.

shad0wfax

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
shad0wfax wrote:
You can OC a handgun in Idaho at the age of 18. (Don't do it in Washington state.)
Why not do it in Washington State?!?

RCW 9.41.240

Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:

(1) In the person's place of abode;

(2) At the person's fixed place of business; or

(3) On real property under his or her control.

[1994 sp.s. c 7 § 423; 1971 c 34 § 1; 1909 c 249 § 308; 1883 p 67 § 1; RRS § 2560.]

You can read the exemptions from the clickable links yourself. I won't post them here because they're long and somewhat redundant. The exemptions essentially cover special situations like hunting, shooting clubs, shooting competitions, shooting ranges, parent's permission on private property, etc.

The long and short of it is, if you're between the ages of 18 and 21 and you want to openly carry a handgun in WA you should be hunting with a valid hunting license, or at a range or competition. Private property is more lax. In any other situation in public it would have to be unloaded and in an opaque case.

Don't OC under 21 in WA.

shad0wfax

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Yes, Shad0wfax, you are absolutely correct. I brain farted on that one. Thank you for reminding me of that one! My synapses were focused on possession, not carrying.

Yeah, it was slightly off-topic and not relevant to ID, so sorry for getting into it here. (I guess it matters for all of the ID panhandle folks that go back and forth between WA).

Now back to ID!

American Rattlesnake

imported post

bourneshooter wrote:
At 16 you can OC a pistol anywhere - within state law - as long as you have a written letter of permission from your parent or legal guardian.

I think that 18-3302E (which I believe you areciting whenyou speak of the 16year age limit)refers onlyto long guns due to the restrictions in 18-3302F.

Idaho Statutes:

TITLE 18
CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
CHAPTER 33
FIREARMS, EXPLOSIVES AND OTHER DEADLY WEAPONS
18-3302F.Prohibition of possession of certain weapons by a minor.
(1) It shall be unlawful for any person under the age of eighteen (18) years to possess or have in possession any handgun.
(6)Any person who provides a handgun to a minor when the possession of the handgun by the minor is a violation of the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.

American Rattlesnake

imported post

4liberty wrote:
Why is it that something as basic as the right to keep and bare arms requires a law degree to figure out?
While I agree that there are too many restrictions on a right so clearly described in the 2nd amendment to the US Constitution, I would submit that the laws regarding the carriage of firearms in ID are not too complex. One should spend a little time reading through Title 18, Chapter 33 of the Idaho Statutes. They are written in English and they are comprehensible.

Regards,

4liberty

imported post

American Rattlesnake wrote:
4liberty wrote:
Why is it that something as basic as the right to keep and bare arms requires a law degree to figure out?
While I agree that there are too many restrictions on a right so clearly described in the 2nd amendment to the US Constitution, I would submit that the laws regarding the carriage of firearms in ID are not too complex. One should spend a little time reading through Title 18, Chapter 33 of the Idaho Statutes. They are written in English and they are comprehensible.

Regards,
Then why is OCDO forum in idaho (the only one I read) about 75% discussion on the law and people arguing about it? I do appreciate the discussion because it makes me a better OCer; however, I believe that the system is broke. For instance why is it okay for a youth to open carry a "long gun" and not a "short gun" as if the length of the barrel has anything to do with its ability to kill someone. It is either okay for them to carry or it is not, in my opinion.

American Rattlesnake

imported post

4liberty wrote:
Then why is OCDO forum in idaho (the only one I read) about 75% discussion on the law and people arguing about it?
My assertion would be that the reason most of the discussion here is about the law and people arguing over it is that too few people have actually read the law and understood it. When one does take the time to read it, the law is not complicated (at least in Idaho.)

Too many people are relying on hearsay to inform their knowledge of the law. This is what generates a great majority of the questions of law in this forum. I rarely see a post that says "I read Title 18, Chapter 33 and don't understand..." Too often the line reads "I heard from [insert person] that [insert activity] is [legal/illegal]."

I encourage everyone who intends to own and/or carry a firearm to read the law themselves. Take responsibility for your own knowledge. If you can read, you can understand the law.

4liberty wrote:
... why is it okay for a youth to open carry a "long gun" and not a "short gun" as if the length of the barrel has anything to do with its ability to kill someone.
We are in agreement. I, too, think this is an unreasonable infringement on the rights of the people of this state. My only point was to say that a law degree is not necessary to understand what the law says.