• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bystander saves cop with gunfire - gets sued.

kurtmax_0

imported post

forever_frost wrote:
Taking that many rounds without letting up, the man was on something.  He should be given a medal for saving the officer's life and a parade.  Oh and the family of the attacker should be sued for mental anguish caused by their whatever he was.

Not really. Some people can take it.

ozzy0028

imported post

I wish Mr. Stephens the best and I hope he is counter suing the woman for legal fees.

IMHO the only mistake Perry made was not taking the head shot sooner, where I come from it's 2 COM and 1 head shot, repeat as necessary!

OZ

ijusam

imported post

In delaware it wouldn't be an issue:

§ 1241. Refusing to aid a police officer; class B misdemeanor.

A person is guilty of refusing to aid a police officer when, upon command by a police officer identifiable or identified by the officer as such, the person unreasonably fails or refuses to aid the police officer in effecting an arrest, or in preventing the commission by another person of any offense.

Refusing to aid a police officer is a class B misdemeanor. (11 Del. C. 1953, § 1241; 58 Del. Laws, c. 497, § 1; 67 Del. Laws, c. 130, § 8; 70 Del. Laws, c. 186, § 1.)

§ 1242. Limitation of civil liability for aiding a police officer.

(a) A person who complies with § 1241 of this title by aiding a police officer, upon command, to affect an arrest or prevent the commission of an offense, shall not be held liable to any person for any damages resulting therefrom; provided, that the person employs means which would have been employed by a reasonable person under the circumstances known to the person at the time.

Dustin

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:

The investigations by the sheriff’s office and city police, containing reams of evidence and interviews with multiple witnesses were turned over to the East Baton Rouge District Attorney’s office for final determination in the case.

The actions of both Brian Harrison and Perry Stephens were found to have fallen in the parameters of the justifiable homicide statutes under Louisiana law. No charges were filed against either of them.

A lawsuit was filed by the mother of George Temple’s son, accusing Brian Harrison of excessive force in his attempt to effect an illegal arrest, and Stephens of “vigilante” action in coming to the aid of Harrison.

Among the claims listed as a reason for the lawsuit was a “loss of consortium” with Temple.

The lawsuit, the only one filed in this case, is still pending.

I seriouslt doubt with that being FACT,any jury or judge will grant the "Loss of Consortium". When it's time in court comes.

PT111

imported post

ijusam wrote:

A person is guilty of refusing to aid a police officer when, upon command by a police officer identifiable or identified by the officer as such, the person unreasonably fails or refuses to aid the police officer in effecting an arrest, or in preventing the commission by another person of any offense.

Refusing to aid a police officer is a class B misdemeanor. (11 Del. C. 1953, § 1241; 58 Del. Laws, c. 497, § 1; 67 Del. Laws, c. 130, § 8; 70 Del. Laws, c. 186, § 1.)

(a) A person who complies with § 1241 of this title by aiding a police officer, upon command, to affect an arrest or prevent the commission of an offense, shall not be held liable to any person for any damages resulting therefrom; provided, that the person employs means which would have been employed by a reasonable person under the circumstances known to the person at the time.
The problem is convincing a jury that they would have done the same thing which is what a jury would consider to be reasonable circumstances. The whole problem is who gets to decide if what you did was the right thing.

Dustin

imported post

ijusam wrote:

Yea I wouldn't be so confident here either. La Law says that what the shooter did was indeed JUSTIFIED.

It's the Civil Suit, that stands now. "Loss of Consortium"

The Shooting result was this;

The actions of both Brian Harrison and Perry Stephens were found to have fallen in the parameters of the justifiable homicide statutes under Louisiana law. No charges were filed against either of them.

darthmord

imported post

The bad guy's mother should be sueing the person responsible for the bad guy's death... wait for it... the bad guy. If he had chosen to respond to the police peacefully, he'd still be alive.

The fault for the entire incident lies at the feet of the bad guy. His reactions are what determined his demise. Not the guy who reluctantly shot him; not the police officer he was savagely beating. He chose to act contrary to what civilized society expects and outside of the law. He paid the price for that.

/pounds gavel

/gets down from the bench

Prophet

imported post

Dustin wrote:

[/quote]

Yeah...and OJ was found not guilty for killing his wife but still got sued and lost for killing her. Justice system is jacked up sometime.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Thank God for civil immunity in MO's castle doctrine statute. I would think that cases such as this would cause LE organizations to 1) support citizen carry and 2) support civil immunity laws.
Louisiana has passed a civil immunity law since the time of this shooting several years ago, and this lawsuit was a major factor in getting it passed. However, such a law is not retroactive, so he still must fight it out in the courts, even though it's BS and would probably not go against him. He still has to pay attorney and court costs.

shad0wfax

imported post

Stephens should be up for a Nobel Peace Prize, not stuck in a civil suit withthe greedy bitch unwed mother of the dead perp's child.

If she wins her suit, maybe Perry's department will foot the bill. (Wishful thinking, I know...)

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Thank God for civil immunity in MO's castle doctrine statute. I would think that cases such as this would cause LE organizations to 1) support citizen carry and 2) support civil immunity laws.

That's why I'm moving to MO. I can't believe there is a lawyer out there repulsive enough too sue Mr Stephens now that Johnny Cochoran is in hell.

I think Temple's "baby's momma" should bebeaten right along with that scumbag lawyer.

PT111

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
PrayingForWar wrote:
I can't believe there is a lawyer out there repulsive enough too sue Mr Stephens now that Johnny Cochoran is in hell.
SNIP...
You must not know many lawyers.:banghead:
+1 on not knowing many lawyers. :cuss:

I asked a "friend" of mine (really hard to say that) who is a lawyer if a man came into your office and said that he had just killed his wife in cold blood but didn't think the police could prove it and wanted you to get him off would you do it? My friend said first thing would be to get a retainer fee then they could discuss his options. :shock:

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I am very surprised that nobody has picked up on this part yet... This is the one part of Stephens actions that I have a problem with...

“Not heeding my commands to stop, I fired my pistol rapidly several times…The driver didn’t appear phased (sic) by the shots and continued beating the officer. I quickly gave another command for the driver to ‘Get off.’”

You should NEVER shoot without a target! I understand the 'reluctance' to shoot someone, but it is also a cardinal rule to NOT shoot 'warning' shots!

I commend him for his actions in coming to the aid of the officer and ultimately probably saving his life and do sincerely wish him the best in this suit (and hope he gets a BIG counter claim awarded); and I hope that all of us would have the same courage and resolve should we ever face a similar situation (as well as hoping that none of us ever do)
Just a little curious about where the bullets from 'several rapidly fired shots' ended up...

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
I am very surprised that nobody has picked up on this part yet... This is the one part of Stephens actions that I have a problem with...

“Not heeding my commands to stop, I fired my pistol rapidly several times…The driver didn’t appear phased (sic) by the shots and continued beating the officer. I quickly gave another command for the driver to ‘Get off.’”

You should NEVER shoot without a target! I understand the 'reluctance' to shoot someone, but it is also a cardinal rule to NOT shoot 'warning' shots!

I commend him for his actions in coming to the aid of the officer and ultimately probably saving his life and do sincerely wish him the best in this suit (and hope he gets a BIG counter claim awarded); and I hope that all of us would have the same courage and resolve should we ever face a similar situation (as well as hoping that none of us ever do)
Just a little curious about where the bullets from 'several rapidly fired shots' ended up...
In the perp. They weren't warning shots.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
The way I read it those first few shots were fired INTO the bad guy.
Nope, those were 2 paragraphs later and were carefully aimed...

With Harrison continuing to scream for help, and Temple continuing to beat him, Stephens placed his walking cane under his left arm, and took aim with both hands to get a better angle of shot and avoid hitting Harrison. The first shot hit Temple in the left breast, under the nipple. Stephens did not shoot at Temple from the rear as has been frequently stated, but rather from a side position. The bullet entered Temple’s chest, and came out through his clavicle (shoulder blade.) His next three shots struck Temple in the left shoulder and upper back area.