• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

hampton CHP at 45 day mark

usaf0906

imported post

Iknow the VCDL has info to contact the VSC and "complain" to the chief justice, i was wondering if anyone has applied lately and/or had any issues?

GWRedDragon

imported post

Yeah, the law doesn't say you have to have the permit at 45 days, it just says you have to have a temporary permit at 45 days. Only complain to the Chief Justice if they refuse to issue a temporary permit.

usaf0906

imported post

i just looked at the calendar and the 16th will be 45 days from when i got printed.. so monday i will head down there if i dont get anything before then.

Virginian683

imported post

Yeah, that would be Hampton. Same thing happened to me. You need to go down to there first thing Monday and ask for a temp permit. Although be aware, they may try to give you some BS about how if they give you a temp permit, it will keep you from getting a real one because the temp permit is the application itself.

Also just a heads up, make sure you leave your cellphone in the car. You can't bring a cellphone into the courthouse (even though there is no such law and when I went it wasn't posted anywhere outside). I pulled out my cell and the guy looked at me like I just pulled out a stick of dynamite ("You cannot bring that in here!") He also refused to hold it so I had to walk 3 blocks back to my car. :cuss:

(Meanwhile a woman in front of me walks through the metal detector and it starts going off like crazy and he just waves her through.)

I love Hampton.

Anyway, I'll be really curious to hear how it goes. Good luck.

Armed

imported post

Virginian683 wrote:
Also just a heads up, make sure you leave your cellphone in the car. You can't bring a cellphone into the courthouse (even though there is no such law and when I went it wasn't posted anywhere outside). I pulled out my cell and the guy looked at me like I just pulled out a stick of dynamite ("You cannot bring that in here!")
Huh?! What do you mean you can't bring a cell phone into a courthouse? Why? What kind of fascist crap is this??

mobeewan

imported post

They screen at the entry door of the courthouse building. Once through that door the clerks office is down a hall to the right. Once in the clerks office I believe you could gothrough the office and access the rest of the courthouse buildingincluding courtrooms that is why you have to be screened to go to the clerks office. No cell phones is part of security. Another reason is that although everyone can't live without their cell phone and some people are more important than others, you shouldn't interrupt the court proceedings with your phone ringing and taking a call during those proceedings. No nail clippers either.

mobeewan

imported post

Virginian683 wrote:
Yeah, that would be Hampton. Same thing happened to me. You need to go down to there first thing Monday and ask for a temp permit. Although be aware, they may try to give you some BS about how if they give you a temp permit, it will keep you from getting a real one because the temp permit is the application itself.

Also just a heads up, make sure you leave your cellphone in the car. You can't bring a cellphone into the courthouse (even though there is no such law and when I went it wasn't posted anywhere outside). I pulled out my cell and the guy looked at me like I just pulled out a stick of dynamite ("You cannot bring that in here!") He also refused to hold it so I had to walk 3 blocks back to my car. :cuss:

(Meanwhile a woman in front of me walks through the metal detector and it starts going off like crazy and he just waves her through.)

I love Hampton.

Anyway, I'll be really curious to hear how it goes. Good luck.

Actually Hampton was getting a lot better. My first permit issued when Va went shall issue took about 106 days. It was only supposed to take 90 the first year. The first time I renewed it took about 63 days (only supposed to be 45 days). Sept of 2007 it only took about 3 weeks.

usaf0906

imported post

I have always had great timing... i just woke up (work nights) and checked the mail *TA DA* and my CHP was there.. YAY me.

now i dont need to worry too much when i am driving.

EDIT: ona side note, where is a easy place to get this thing laminated?

mobeewan

imported post

I always use the plastic film sheets that have the peel off backing found in the checkout lines or office supply section of the department stores. They come 3 to 5 sheets per package and one folded in half will seal anything that can fit in a wallet picture/cc insert. I prefold them before pulling of the backing and stick the CHP in and press. I trim an 1/8 of the side edges of the CHPprior toinserting it.Then I trim the excess leaving a 1/16 border on 3 sides after inserting the CHP.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well I am glad to see that Lousy, I mean Louisa, county isn't the only one to wait until the last minute!! Louisa has until Friday for my renewal...I haven’t heard a thing from them yet. My neighbor had his initial in less than 30 days but he is, shall I say, connected with the county courts.
It just baffles me on why such a rural county desires to operate as a cesspool county by pretending it was located in NoVa or Tidewater. Their handling of 2A in not the only thing I base my gripe on.

tsannicolas

imported post

the 45th day expired today for my CHP. and guess what came in the mail...

can't believe they timed it to get here on exactly the 45th day... this is in Fairfax County, btw

usaf0906

imported post

i am sure they have a very unlogical reason for this.... i just cant figure it out...

tsannicolas

imported post

packingdressagerider wrote:
Armed wrote:
Huh?! What do you mean you can't bring a cell phone into a courthouse? Why? What kind of fascist crap is this??
That's just weird. Is this true of every court house in Va? And what kind of law is being violated?
probably so you can't take pictures/video of court proceedings or something like that.

fairfax1

imported post

Last in I was in the Fairfax County courthouse, they said is was because my phone had a camera that I couldn't have it. They also didn't let me bring my mini key chain flashlight.

wolf-father

imported post

It is just a genaral ban on phones becouse of camaras. Just go to youtube and type in courtroom fights and you can see why. lol. It is mostly to keep people from takeing pics of Security and check points and structure of building. Remember the fed. bldg bombings?