• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

schools

bb

imported post

The cpl instructor told my wife that u can only drop your kid off&pick them up while carrying during school hours. He said if there are any after school activities like parent teacher conference's, school plays & ect. that u can nothave your firearm on school property or leave it in your vehicle while u attend theseschool events.

Hcidem

imported post

Your CPL instructor needs to review the law again, I'm afraid. The statutory school property restrictions on guns make no reference to hours of operation or seasons. They merely define the restricted zone (a school) and the fact that parking lots and drop-off areas are exempted from the restricted area when one is picking up or dropping off a child "from the school."

Perhaps it would have better to state that the manner in which it is worded could leave room for debate on whether after school events qualify as picking up or dropping off "from the school." It probably is a good point to make since over-zealous "authorities" might try to use this to further limit our rights.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(5pv5do45htkhhezqqhafhyuc))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-28-425o-amended

Coelacanth

imported post

Good point. I know someone that attends church at a building used for a school during the week. This person has a cpl, and disarms and unloads in the vehicle they take to the church service.
Is this illegal?

Also, I have heard (some time ago) about federal legislation limiting "weapons" from even being near school grounds. Anyone know if these laws are in effect (or were they ever?)

Thanks in advance

Hcidem

imported post

Well, your question raised an additional issue. There are restrictions in regard to carrying in a church, but it does not mention carrying at church services. This could become shaky ground if one points out the fact that many people consider a church to be composed of the gathering ofpeople rather than the building in which they gather (which is expressly used for church services, and is commonly known as "a church"). These restrictions are voided if those in charge of the church approve a person to carry a firearm.

In regard to church services held in a school building, the law (as written) allows open carry by CPL holders on school property beyond the parking and drop-off areas. Many people who know their communities well fully expect that this would not stop school administrators or local LEOs from intervening in an attempt to keep pistols off local school grounds.

In these instances and in the eyes of firearms law, it makes no difference whether the pistol is loaded or unloaded. It only makes a difference to the person who tries to use an unloaded weapon. ;)

Coelacanth

imported post

Hcidem wrote:
In these instances and in the eyes of firearms law, it makes no difference whether the pistol is loaded or unloaded. It only makes a difference to the person who tries to use an unloaded weapon. ;)
Very good point. Seems the older I get, the more I become an anarchist...

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Coelacanth,

I believe that the law to which you are referring is the Gun-Free School Zones Act. With a MI CPL, you are exempt from the prohibitions if the school is located within MI. If you are carrying out-of-state under the provision that the state you are in accepts your MI CPL, then you are NOT EXEMPT from the Gun-Free School Zones Act requirements.

Perhaps most the egregious part of the law is that the area under the Gun-Free School Zones Act is not only the school property, but also includes those areas within 1,000 ft of the school property. Private property within this area is also exempt.

Exemption for state permits can be found here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/batf_school_zone.pdf

Seriousness of the 1,000 ft provision can be found here: http://www.gunlaws.com/Gun_Free_School_Zones.htm
and here,
http://www.reason.com/news/show/33279.html

Coelacanth

imported post

Thanks Dr. Todd, Yes, that is the law to which I referred. (GFSZA), as they call it, apparently. Thans too for the links. They paint a truly sad story indeed. Kinda leaves one without words (nice ones, that is).

jmlefler

imported post

One of my concerns about the Weapon Free School Zone pertains to the definition of the “Weapon free school zone” itself, particularly the inclusion of vehicles used for transportation. A case could be made that the 1000' rule would place a WFSZ bubble around any school bus, school van or vehicles used to transport students not only to school but any other 'educational' event, such as athletics. The intrusion of this bubble, if the firearm is not properly stowed, could result in a felony charge and conviction.

Let's say you're walking OC downtown and a school bus stops and offloads students at the museum within 1000'. While you are carrying within your rights, you are now in possession of a firearm within a WFSZ, that is if you don't have a CPL. If you do have a CPL and are carrying concealed, you have also possibly violated the WFSZ. What are you to do?

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(hff5x0v2yurvvsvvggu5tt55))/mileg.aspx?page=GetMCLDocument&objectname=mcl-750-237a

(d) “Weapon free school zone” means school property and a vehicle used by a school to transport students to or from school property.

Think I should ask the MSP?

Carry on

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I think you have very good questions and bring up a good point about the zone.

Although this only POSSIBLY mitigates the chance of getting charges w/ this, the Fed's can't enforce state law and the Michigan LEO TYPICALLY don't enforce federal law (they do sometimes, though). If the Mich. leo enforce state law, the MI law limits the weapon free school zone to the property, not the 1,00 feet. Federal expands it to 1,000 feet.

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

As for the no carry at a church, many folks may not realise the law states that you may not carry a concealed weapon upon a property or premises owned or operated by a church, mosque etc.

This made my heart flutter when I realized that the bingo hall I often went to wasfrequently operated by a religious organization. The next time I went, I carried open and was asked not to bring my weapon back. It's a shame too, because I used to enjoy playing bingo there. Oh well, I never won anything anyway!

Also, IIRC the parking lots of all victim zones are exempt from the no concealed carry rule.

Tucker6900

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
As for the no carry at a church, many folks may not realise the law states that you may not carry a concealed weapon upon a property or premises owned or operated by a church, mosque etc.

Added:

Without written authorization from the church management.

The church my wife and I attend back in MI gave me permission to conceal.

M16a2

Farmington,Port Huron,Waterford MICHIGAN, , USA
imported post

I am doing a "report" on Education in todays Schools. And am going to the schools all day and questioning the kids (2nd-8th grade). As well as watching-questioning the teachers. I will be going to 10 schools. Can't say the names. But I am going to ALL types of schools and in area's that are tens of tousands a year to scchools that are free. Do to the people I work for I can only CC. And only the principle has to know.

I will see if funding is being use RIGHT. And I also have family what is getting me in there classes. As well as the private schoolsI wentto. So no BS here.

That being said I would love to ask the teachers there views on this! I will see what I can do. However I can quess there view based on there location!

PilotPTK

MOC Charter Member - Shelby Township, Michigan, US
imported post

M16a2 wrote:
I am doing a "report" on Education in todays Schools. And am going to the schools all day and questioning the kids (2nd-8th grade). As well as watching-questioning the teachers. I will be going to 10 schools. Can't say the names. But I am going to ALL types of schools and in area's that are tens of tousands a year to scchools that are free. Do to the people I work for I can only CC. And only the principle has to know.

I will see if funding is being use RIGHT. And I also have family what is getting me in there classes. As well as the private schoolsI wentto. So no BS here.

That being said I would love to ask the teachers there views on this! I will see what I can do. However I can quess there view based on there location!
Just out of curiosity, what are you judging them on? Please tell me that it's not their teaching of spelling and grammar.

Ben

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

PilotPTK wrote:
M16a2 wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what are you judging them on? Please tell me that it's not their teaching of spelling and grammar.

Ben
+1000

M16a2

imported post

I am reporting on "how well the school spends there money" but we don't say that. We just say level of education. Because we know they will put me in front of there smartest kid.

I is very hard to set a standard on what to compare them to. B/Cwe would like to look atEnglish,History,Math,Science.But in the same hrs of the day so schools skip history for Gym orMusic. And it gets worst by high school when public goes to auto-tech,cad,gym,dance, even sports. As I did a study atmany schools that removed history (one say 1yr) sokids could do a "Skill class" or if it is football season and history is after lunch skip it and go to practice for a game that day.

Where the private schools say "every kid will be in a out of school event but not on school time". So when class are over you go to the event you are in. And it doesn't have to be sports!

So it is unfair to report only on education in these schools! As some schools go more for "well rounded". So I can compare sports but not say dance if it isn't offered at all schools.

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

M16a2, I think what Pilot was making note of with the question was, as it appears that you are judging the schools. If that is correct, then you must make sure that you are without blemish. Make sure that all your i's are dotted and your t's are crossed. When testing the teacher, if you are not correct in grammar, spelling and punctuation, you project an image of some one not as sharp as you would like.springerdave.

ps. Sometimes i copy my writings to Word program and then do a spell-check and use the punctuation guides there.

Edit for spelling et al.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

springerdave wrote:
M16a2, I think what Pilot was making note of with the question was, as it appears that you are judging the schools. If that is correct, then you must make sure that you are without blemish. Make sure that all your i's are dotted and your t's are crossed. When testing the teacher, if you are not correct in grammar, spelling and punctuation, you project an image of some one not as sharp as you would like.springerdave.

ps. Sometimes i copy my writings to Word program and then do a spell-check and use the punctuation guides there.

Edit for spelling et al.
Yes, I too think he was referring to your own spelling and grammatical error in your posts.

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

M16a2, all of us have at one time or another have misspelled text and misused punctuation. I hope that no offense will be taken by you for my posts. None was meant. I and others would just like to have those representing our cause to appear as polished as possible. It only takes slightly more time to get it right. Thank you for your efforts.springerdave.

M16a2

imported post

No offense was taken. I am member of MANY forums. Things said online don't mean much. I graduated from a major university and before that from top private schools.

However in fairness I do have a problem when typing as I think much fast than I type.And I do many things at one time. I have 2 LCD screens on my home computer and my TV with 7.1 playing in the same room. As well as reading 2 or more forums at once or watching a video online and typing in a forum or two. Some time I type likeI am texting with thoughts rather than sentences. AndI was worst inEnglish.Best in History and Math. Onlytwo question wrong on the high school placement test for history.

But the report is based onmy views and a pre-written test. So I can be dumb as a stick.