• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mn question

wwl

imported post

I am a Minnesota resident with a Minnesota pistol permit issued by Minnesota. If I carry a pistol such as a GSG-5P in a gun rack attached to the dash and uncased the gun is not carried on my person. Is this legal?

roostercrown

imported post

my carry instructor told me(i believe) there are a couple(5 or 7) counties that ban gun rack carrying. those counties contain mostly the twin cities. also i am highly considering getting a GSG-5, what do you think of it?

Andrew Rothman

imported post

wwl wrote:
I am a Minnesota resident with a Minnesota pistol permit issued by Minnesota. If I carry a pistol such as a GSG-5P in a gun rack attached to the dash and uncased the gun is not carried on my person. Is this legal?
It is legal.

The carry law exempts from penalties someone "...who carries, holds, or possesses a pistol in a motor vehicle, snowmobile, or boat, or on or about the person's clothes or the person, or otherwise in possession or control in a public place..." if they have a carry permit.

Just don't leave it there when you step out of the car while passengers without permits are still in the car. They would immediately have "constructive possession" of the pistol and could be charged with violation of the statute.

madrevar

imported post

roostercrown wrote:
my carry instructor told me(i believe) there are a couple(5 or 7) counties that ban gun rack carrying. those counties contain mostly the twin cities. also i am highly considering getting a GSG-5, what do you think of it?
I thought we had premption of all firearms laws except discharge. I would like to know who your instructor was. If you have a permit you can have a PISTOL however you want in the vehicle. If you did get the rifle version of the GSG-5, it needs to be unloaded, and cased if not in the trunk.

Andrew Rothman

imported post

Roostercrown's instructor is almost correct. Last session, the MN Legislature passed a very screwed-up law, modifying sudb. 3 of 97B.045, that allows hunters to carry their long guns uncased -- but unloaded -- in a motor vehicle while coming and going from hunting, EXCEPT in three counties, within city limits of towns over 2,500 people, or in city limits where shooting is prohibited.

http://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=97B.045

Since that makes it nearly impossible for someone to know where it is and isn't legal, I recommend casing a long gun at ALL times when in a motor vehicle.

If you have a permit to carry, having a pistol loaded and uncased in your gun is always legal (well, except, perhaps, on federal property, but that is a separate can of worms).

madrevar wrote:
roostercrown wrote:
I thought we had premption of all firearms laws except discharge. I would like to know who your instructor was. If you have a permit you can have a PISTOL however you want in the vehicle. If you did get the rifle version of the GSG-5, it needs to be unloaded, and cased if not in the trunk.