• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does anybody know any gun friendly lawyers in the 757?

Harryhood

imported post

I have a good friend who is trying to find a lawyer in the Newport News area to help him get an expungement for a charge that was dropped so he can apply for his CHP. Any help would be great.

Sheriff

imported post

Harryhood wrote:
I have a good friend who is trying to find a lawyer in the Newport News area to help him get an expungement for a charge that was dropped so he can apply for his CHP. Any help would be great.

What? :question: Simply having a criminal arrest record should not affect one's ability to obtain a Concealed Handgun Permit in Virginia. As long as the final disposition of any and all arrests was a nolle prosequi, dismissed or not guilty.

A warrant that has been dropped, for whatever reason, will usually have "nolle prosequi" as the judge's action on said warrant.

kenny

imported post

Have your friend start by getting a current copy of his criminal record as on file with the the Virginia State Police. If there are no convictions he has nothing to worry about. If he remembers what the jurisdiction is he can do most of the research on line and save the fee to the state police, if it has been in the fifteen years.

Tell your friend it may take some time but it can be done.

Sheriff

imported post

Kenny, I'm not sure what you just said. But if the person has a conviction in

his criminal arrest history, he's not going to be able to have that expunged.

kenny

imported post

I was assuming facts not in evidence.
and I will add

The procedure for Expungement may differ in each locality. If it is the only thing on his record it will be simple. The Court may allow the individual to file their own papers thus saving the legal fees. I would check with Court Clerk in writing to ask the local procedure. Some cases are even handled my the local Legal Aid. There can be several options. Best of luck to your friend.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Harryhood wrote:

What? :question: Simply having a criminal arrest record should not affect one's ability to obtain a Concealed Handgun Permit in Virginia. As long as the final disposition of any and all arrests was a nolle prosequi, dismissed or not guilty.

A warrant that has been dropped, for whatever reason, will usually have "nolle prosequi" as the judge's action on said warrant.
I don't understand either. If it was dropped, it isn't an issue. Was this a felony or misdemeanor? If it was a misdemeanor, and was older than 3 years, it won't matter (with a couple of exceptions) anyway.

sccrref

imported post

Harryhood wrote:

[align=left]What is an expungement?[/align]

[align=left]If you have arrests or charges that were resolved in your favor, you may be eligible to have your police and court records expunged. Having a record “expunged” means that information about the expunged arrest or charge is removed from the version of the rap sheet that will be sent to employers and others. However,
it is important to note that the record of an expunged arrest or charge is never completely destroyed. A record of all your arrests, charges, and fingerprints will remain in a CCRE vault. Courts may order CCRE to expunge police and court records for individuals whose arrest did not lead to a conviction or who are deemed innocent.[/align]

Try this link. It might give him a starting point.

http://www.hirenetwork.org/pdfs/050542_va_rap.pdf

JeffersonDavis

imported post

I did an expungement myself, save the money and just ask how to do it at the clerk of the courts office. Hurry though, there is a time limit on how long you are able to petition for an expungement.

flightmedic

imported post

Sheriff is correct in what he is saying about expungements. You cannot have a conviction expunged under any circumstance. You also can't have a charge expunged if the court held the charge for you to do some community service or counseling and dismissed it later. If the court finds that there are sufficient facts to find you guilty, then defers a finding of guilt, then it cannot be expunged. If the Commonwealth moves to nolle prosequi, your are found not guilty, or the court dismisses without a finding of facts sufficient, then you are eligible for expungement. Va. Code Ann. 19.2-392.2. Only problem is that you do not need an expungement under those circumstances as those dispositions cannot be used against you for CHP purposes.

There is no form motion for expungement. It must be drafted for your specific situation, so a lawyer is a good idea.