• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police: homeowner shot burglar

xd.40

imported post

http://www.insidenova.com/isn/news/local/article/police_homeowner_shot_burglar/27878/

Staff
Published: January 14, 2009

Police are reporting a homeowner shot a burglar in Triangle this morning.
The incident happened on Dondis Creek Way off Fuller Heights Road at about 10:30 a.m.

The injured person was flown to an area hospital with serious injuries.
Detectives are on the scene and we will bring you more details as we get them.

Edit - The article is updated.

Three men chose the wrong house to try to break into this morning.

The men tried to break in to a home on Dondis Creek Drive in Triangle about 10 a.m., but they were stopped by one of the home’s owners.

Police say the homeowner, a working mother home sick, grabbed her handgun and greeted the men, who were trying to get into her basement.

The men fled after seeing the woman. But one burglar returned to the house, and the homeowner shot him in the chest.

He was flown to an area hospital with life-threatening injuries, police say.

Police picked up a second man a few blocks away from the house. The third man is still at large.

The woman suffered no injuries. Police are currently investigating the crime.

(Edited for spacing and new article)

Xeni

imported post

Would be nice if PWC passed an ordinance requiring all households to be armed. :)

Isn't this the 3rd defensive shooting in Triangle in 2 months?

Armed

imported post

Kudo's to her!! I am amazed however, at the stupidity of the jerk who returned to the house directly after being chased off once by the armed homeowner. What the hell did he think was going to happen? He deserved what he got!

Xeni

imported post

When it's three against one the only thing that can equalize the fight is a handgun. Good on her.

Just watched FoxNews and they reported on the story. What grated me was that they made it a point to say that she showed police her ownership papers for the pistol as if suddenly she was the criminal.

rebfan

imported post

An all around great story. One can't be very smart and a criminal.

hsmith

imported post

I've gassed up at that Exxon near the front gate for Quantico, gone around back to fill my tires and have seen people doing drugs back there :?

ChinChin

imported post

Just saw the 10PM story on Fox5.

Story was good and the media was shockingly unbiased.

The one thing that struck me as odd was the mention of "checking the paperwork on the woman's handgun" to ensure proper ownership.

There is no law I know of to retain bill of sale for a firearm and the BATF forms are supposed to be destroyed (or so i have been led to believe)

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ChinChin wrote:
Just saw the 10PM story on Fox5.

Story was good and the media was shockingly unbiased.

The one thing that struck me as odd was the mention of "checking the paperwork on the woman's handgun" to ensure proper ownership.

There is no law I know of to retain bill of sale for a firearm and the BATF forms are supposed to be destroyed (or so i have been led to believe)
I saw that ChinChin and thought the same thing.

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

xd.40 wrote:
http://www.insidenova.com/isn/news/local/article/police_homeowner_shot_burglar/27878/
Police say the homeowner, a working mother home sick, grabbed her handgun and greeted the men, who were trying to get into her basement.

The men fled after seeing the woman. But one burglar returned to the house, and the homeowner shot him in the chest.

The burger knew she had a gun and returned? He could not be that stupid could he?

jegoodin

imported post

Xeni wrote:
When it's three against one the only thing that can equalize the fight is a handgun. Good on her.

Just watched FoxNews and they reported on the story. What grated me was that they made it a point to say that she showed police her ownership papers for the pistol as if suddenly she was the criminal.

"ownership papers" we don't need no stinking ownership papers, we have ze pistols.

But seriously... was it a bill of sale or something? there are no "ownership papers" required in VA.

Neplusultra

imported post

DonTreadOnMe wrote:
xd.40 wrote:

The burger knew she had a gun and returned? He could not be that stupid could he?
Dood!!! Haven't you seen Clint Eastwood in "Josie Wales"??? Remember the scene where the LEO officer comes into the saloon and confronts Josie? The LEO knows who he's talking to but is convinced to leave without making an arrest. But soon afterward he comes back out of pride and Josie lets him know he's going to die and the LEO acknowledges this, and does die in the following firefight.

DooD, you gotta do what you gotta do, if you're a "real" man. And you certainly can't allow a "woman" to chase you off, even if she does have a gun. It's a macho thing.

Edit: For quotes on a "real" man. AKA, "macho" man.

Marco

imported post

Glad the homeowner was able to fend off those criminals.
[line]
Neplusultra wrote: snip
Dood!!! Haven't you seen Clint Eastwood in "Josie Wales"??? Remember the scene where the LEO officer comes into the saloon and confronts Josie?
WTF!!!
LEO in JosieWales????
The guy was a bounty hunter(an extremely stupid one).:lol:
LEO = Law Enforecement Officer

Writing officerwhen you write LEOisn't necessary.:p

If you read the biographies and auto biographiesof some of the popularSheriffs/Deputies and Judges of the late 19th and early 20th century you'd know they weren't much better than the people they jailed, hung and or shot.

edit: typo's