• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Firearm Permits in Utah

Ch1pster23

imported post

Was wondering if any one out there knew of Utah Non resident Concealed Carry Permit training class around here (Western side of the state)? Any coming up?

TFred

imported post

Farmer Troy wrote:
Never heard of one . . . why would they offer it here?

You'd think you'd have to go to Utah for this.
All the purple-colored states in this map accept the Utah Concealed Firearm Permit:

utah_map.t.gif

Any more questions? ;) To be complete, a few of these purple states do not accept a non-resident permit, so a Pennsylvania resident holding a Utah permit would not be valid. (Colorado, Florida, Kansas, Michigan, New Hampshire, South Carolina and West Virginia). See http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

TFred

agentw0

imported post

Well, the non-resident Utah Carry permit combined with the PA permit gives you the ability to carry in almost every state.

I got mine, it was a 4 hour class conducted by John Vith. I know he is on this forum and PAFOA .

He does classes all over the state, if I can find it I'll send you a link to his site.

sprat

imported post

No New york and alot of other states, check the website indicated above it was a gross overstatement, you get as many states as a florida or arizona. though few folks don't mind the 4 hour class and fee to take it Utah course the Utah permit is slightly cheaper at renewal time which is every 5 years, so is arizona though you have to take there course in arizona ( recently this has been proposed for utah) while florida is mail in with your hunting license and the permit is good for 7 years.

up to the individual which is right for him

sprat

lildobe

Pittsburgh (Beechview), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

sprat wrote:
No New york and alot of other states, check the website indicated above it was a gross overstatement, you get as many states as a florida or arizona. though few folks don't mind the 4 hour class and fee to take it Utah course the Utah permit is slightly cheaper at renewal time which is every 5 years, so is arizona though you have to take there course in arizona ( recently this has been proposed for utah) while florida is mail in with your hunting license and the permit is good for 7 years.

sprat

Florida permits are $115 or $117 (I can't remember off the top of my head) and the same price every time you renew.

The Utah permit is $65.25 initially (plus the cost of the training course, usually another $65) and then $10 every 5 years to renew.

The Utah permit also gives you two extra states, but I can't recall off the top of my head which two they are.

In short, the Utah permit, in the long run, is the better deal.

adamsesq

imported post

lildobe wrote:
sprat wrote:

sprat

Florida permits are $115 or $117 (I can't remember off the top of my head) and the same price every time you renew.

The Utah permit is $65.25 initially (plus the cost of the training course, usually another $65) and then $10 every 5 years to renew.

The Utah permit also gives you two extra states, but I can't recall off the top of my head which two they are.

In short, the Utah permit, in the long run, is the better deal.

Unless you travel to Florida. Florida does not recognize a UT permit unless you are a resident of Utah.

-adamsesq

lildobe

Pittsburgh (Beechview), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Unless you travel to Florida. Florida does not recognize a UT permit unless you are a resident of Utah.
Seeing as this is in the PA forum, and the person asking was a PA resident, I'd assume they have a PA Resident LTCF, which is what the "34 State" number is based on - a combination of the PA Resident LTCF and a Utah Non-Resident Permit.

And besides Reciprocity, it's nice to have a CFP/CCW/LTC from another state that cannot be revoked at the whim of a politically motivated Sheriff... though if that's the ONLY thing you want, you can go get yourself a New Hamptire Non-Resident CPL. THey are only $20.

agentw0

imported post

Here are the states covered under the 2 non-resident permits that I currently carry.

States that Utah Covers:

Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Mississippi, Montana, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming.

States the New Hampshire Non Resident Permit Covers( This is an easy on to get $25 bucks and 3 references, takes about two weeks after mailing the form in)

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Wyoming.

I have all three permits plus my Federal ID, Which Covers Me Under LEOSA, So I am covered in all states.

All my permit info about states covered came from http://legallyarmed.com