Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone open carry while riding a bicycle?

Post imported post

Does anyone ride a bike and open carry? I was just wondering because when the weather starts warming up, i want to start carrying when i ride my bike. Has anyone done this, and has anyone had any problems? I will be using a retention holster, so i won't be worried about it falling out of the holster.

Post imported post

I do... I carry my XD in a Serpa, and attach the mag pouch to a strap on my camel back. this setup is a little wierd until you get used to it.

I started out just doing this on the bike trails in the hills and around local lakes etc. Over the summer, I got more into riding and carrying in urban environments.

Post imported post

xd9sc wrote:
    Does anyone ride a bike and open carry? I was just wondering because when the weather starts warming up, i want to start carrying when i ride my bike. Has anyone done this, and has anyone had any problems? I will be using a retention holster, so i won't be worried about it falling out of the holster.
    Last summer in Tucson I saw a male bicyclist OC what appeared to be a 1911 in a brown leather holster.

Motor vehicle traffic passing him gave him a wide berth.

Imagine that!!

Activist Member

Post imported post

I OC while riding a bicycle.

The only problem I have encountered is that I fell off my bike once and it scraped up the leather holster, scrapedthe grips of the gun a little, and scratched the exterior of the barrel. (The end of the barrel sticks out of the holster.)

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum62/9425.html<-- Pics

Post imported post

I open carry on my motorcycle and have never had a problem

Post imported post

I don't currently, but I used to when I lived in Aridzona. GWbiker's comments are inline with my experience; automobile drivers are Much more polite and give a Much wider berth to riders who OC, and since my OC was on the left side it made it that much more noticable.

The only time I was stopped was by the local constabulary while carrying a semi-auto shotgun across the handlebars of my mountain bike. We had a nice chat, they went on their way, I went on mine.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

I've open carried while on a bicycle and while roller blading, what I can say is even a lightweight gun will throw off your balance.

Even though its possible to open carry on either vehicle, it would probably be better to place the gun under a well padded area in case you fall.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Post imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
    I've open carried while on a bicycle and while roller blading, what I can say is even a lightweight gun will throw off your balance.

Even though its possible to open carry on either vehicle, it would probably be better to place the gun under a well padded area in case you fall.
    I OC'd while Ice-Skating at a local rink last weekend. The balance wasn't an issue, nor was falling, but I was very mindful not to accidentally bump into anyone or get too close to folks.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Sheepdawg wrote:
    I open carry on my motorcycle and have never had a problem
    Same here.

The wife is talking about starting to ride bicycles with the kids in the spring. I'll be OC.

Post imported post

That is exactly what i am thinking. When the weather gets a little warmer in the springI am going to start riding my bike alot again, and I am planning on OCing.

Post imported post

I OCed all summer on my bicycle last year, even a few times with the wife & kid riding along.

Can't wait til weather warms up this year.

Post imported post

I have not on a bike but does on horseback count?

Post imported post

I did in AZ, but I am shaky about doing it in Michigan. Once I have my Michigan CPL, I'll probably do it regularly.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Open carrying on a bicycle could be construed as concealed carry in a vehicle.

Though unlikely I won't be the test case.

Banned

Post imported post

No, I don't wear clothing that would easily accommodate an OC holster when I'm on a bicycle.

On my motorcycle, I usually ride with my jacket open because I'm a fatty and gained 10lbs after I got my already-tight jacket and it's uncomfortable to close (Working that weight off now. Boy is it harder to take off than to put on...) so it's usually covered.

Of course, I'm not riding either now, as I work nights and sleep all day so I have no time for the bicycle, and my motorcycle has... issues. Time for some long-overdue maintenance. Carbs, brakes, cables, hoses, etc., all need some TLC... and it's only an '06. Go me.

Activist Member

Post imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
    You could always carry an identical gun on each side to retain balance.

Post imported post

DanGarand wrote:
    Open carrying on a bicycle could be construed as concealed carry in a vehicle.
    Interesting. How do you mean?

Post imported post

I've been OC'ing on my bike. Only with the shotgun and rifle in a scabbard tied on to the frame. I posted pics here somewhere. I think in the California section

Post imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:

Two extra mags on the weak side should help even that out.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I OC on my bike all the time. Full riding kit (spandex and all), paddle holster inside my riding shorts and a nylon belt for holster retention.

Post imported post

even if I am CCing when I get on my bike I tuck my shirt in behind the butt of my 1911, and I get a whole lane to myself. If I know I am going out for a long bike ride I use an open carry holster.

Post imported post

If Texas passes legislature allowing open carry, I will definitely try riding my bike while carrying. Until then, I have to stick to riding defenseless.

Thanks for the idea.

cheers

Post imported post

In washington, my understanding is that any vehicle requires a CPL to carry loaded, and as bicycles are technically considered vehicles, I think you'd be able to, as long as you had the CPL.

I carry in my tank bag on the bike because I'm all the gear all the time, and frankly a potential fall onto a sidearm is not my idea of a good time. I'm guessing that it would cause significant damage to both of us.

Not to mention that if you're not a squid or a fair weather cruiser rider, good gear doesn't lend itself to holsters & whatnot.

Post imported post

the old SF messenger style would lend itself
    to OC, they would have "full metal baskets"
    in front, you could carry all sorts of stuff, I used to
    OC a bowie knife. You could easily attach a belt &
    Holster to it, OC that stays in the basket so it
    doesn't hurt you or gun if you fall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast